Author Topic: Buy low on 2 guys, still rebuild. (Hibbert/Bargnani)  (Read 5424 times)

Re: Buy low on 2 guys, still rebuild. (Hibbert/Bargnani)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He might make a lot of stupid calls, but he is still a pretty good center with a great size!

He's not a pretty good center., so your problem starts with that mistaken belief.

I think one article summed it up pretty well.

The reason why Bargnani is bad:

He produces guard numbers. Rebounding, efficiency... That's why he's bad. Centers and PFs usually produce more efficiently than guards and you're sacrificing that production to put in another guard.

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:33:50 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not sure what happened to Hibbert in the playoffs last year but I do still hold the view that he is a very useful player.  I don't see him on the Celtics though.  Maybe if we got Love and kept Rondo but not the current roster.

I have felt that Hibbert is someone the Cavs should try to get and move Varejao to PF.

To get Indiana interested, I think we would have to start with Rondo to Indiana, Hibbert to Cle, then we can take Bennett, Waiters, and maybe an additional young piece or pick from Indiana.

I am sure the Rondo advocates will not like this trade.

I have no interest in Bargnani.  He may figure it out somewhere sometime but I don't think it would make sense to have him on this Celtic's roster.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He might make a lot of stupid calls, but he is still a pretty good center with a great size!

He's not a pretty good center., so your problem starts with that mistaken belief.
TP.

Hibbert I think is an acceptable guy if you can "buy" low. But Bargnani is a minimum salary guy at best for how much he compromises your team rebounding/defense and doesn't add value offensively.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

Offline QuickT

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Bargnani is a bad player.  Hibbert may just be temporarily lost.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
Bargnani is a bad player.  Hibbert may just be temporarily lost.

I'm with you here, Hibbert is good before the all star break but after that... don't know what happened to him or to the entire Pacers.. all of them seems lost..

maybe there's some truth on the rumour about PG and his fiancee
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
How about Eric Gordon and Roy Hibbert?

Bass, Bogans, Olynyk + pick(s) for Hibbert

Thornton, Anthony, Fav + pick for Gordon

Rondo. Smart
Gordon. Bradley
Green. Wallace. Young
Sullinger. 
Hibbert. Zeller

Keep our 2015 pick and go for a PF.  Sign a free agent PF like Expe Udoh or  Jason Maxiell for a short contract to backup PF for a year.

2015 Philly and 2016 Cavs enough to get Hibbert or would it cost 2016 Nets?

2015 Clippers enough for Gordon?  They are saving that 2nd year of his deal.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I agree with the thinking of OP

If making a 8 seed is important and part of your goal of the celtics

It could be DA doesn't want to loose enough games to get a SERIOUS draft pick

No matter what any of us think, if that's the case ....for his weak minded approach for a rebuild , then getting these guys brings in a few more wins and might keep Rondo happy for a while.

The PRIZE ..is Marc Gasol .....we ll need Rondo to get him

The Celtics will have a lot of bullets in their gun when they go hunting next season.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Or maybe sign Ekpe Udoh and Mike Scott to 2 year deals starting at 2.5 mil with the 2nd year a team option.  Split the MLE between them to replenish depth up front.

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think when Ainge made the deal with the TPE he set up the team to only make a deal for star  players.  The deal set us too close to the Luxury tax to make anything but a major move or a player for player move. Ainge won't make some of these moves if it puts us in the Luxury tax land.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Not interested in Bargnani at any price. Hibbert is a different story. We would be buying low which is exactly the right time but what you're offering is just too low. I think Zeller, Olynyk, Young, Bogans, Anthony, and at least 1 first round pick might get it done. A starting lineup of Hibbert, Sullinger, Green, Rondo and Bradley is not championship contender caliber but a step in the right direction. We will need at least one big time player, preferably at the 3, to be an elite team, but that won't happen until at least next year at the earliest.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Getting Hibbert and Gordon lines up our cap room with Wallace so we could be big players in 2016.  Also makes us relevant for those two years so we can at least get in the playoffs and play meaningful games.

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We don't have the assets to get Hibbert unless you bring Rondo into the discussion, and I don't want to go there.

Bargnani is probably the worst 1st pick bust since Kwame Brown and the Kandi Man. 

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I can't believe Indiana would trade Hibbert because of a bad few months of basketball.  There was something wrong with that team after the trade deadline. It never ceases to amaze me how much the locker room atmosphere/team chemistry affects a team. Just look at how much the Red Sox have improved since cutting Pierzynski.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:34:37 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Too many disappearing players on one team. If Green and Hibbert and Bradley all intermittent no shows. Bargnani's game does not translate well. Belongs in Europe.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
No doubt that I would prefer Hibbert to Bargnani, but I still think you guys are underestimating Bargnani.

The main problem with him is that he has had problems with injuries for the last 3 seasons. Give him a year in which he is not forced into playing to early and semi-injured, and you will see the old Bargnani. He is not a bad defender on a team with a defensive plan, and he is a nice scorer. I would take him any day over Anthony, Bass or mini Big Baby.

He is on a huge contract, but in a year we can let him go if it doesn't work out, which will mean that he will become an asset during the season!

Face it guys - we need a center, and it's hard to find a decent one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAanUw7rt8