Author Topic: Buy low on 2 guys, still rebuild. (Hibbert/Bargnani)  (Read 5439 times)

Buy low on 2 guys, still rebuild. (Hibbert/Bargnani)
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
So if we traded for these 2 guys while everyone is down on them, we are still trying to rebuild, just not TANK.  Try to make the playoffs, try to compete, then re-tool the roster next summer.

Trade Bass, Anthony, Philly pick for Bargnani

Trade Bogans, Thornton, Olynyk, future pick for Hibbert. 

Hibbert and Bargnani could work together.  If they do, great we have a good center and we can either trade Bargnani at the deadline for someone younger or we let him walk just like Bass and Anthony would have. 

If Bargnani could get back to scoring 17+ a game and Hibbert could be our defensive anchor, they could make up for each others limitations.  We still would have Zeller and Sullinger behind them.  Still have Green and Rondo.  Still have Bradley, Smart, and Young.  Still have most of our draft picks. 

Re: Buy low on 2 guys, still rebuild. (Hibbert/Bargnani)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not sure I give up Bass and the Philly (2nd rounders) for Bargs. Bass+Anthony for Bargs is an even swap to me.

That Hibbert trade isn't nearly enough for Indiana to bite. An expiring, some cap space and a young big for an all-star center? I know he blew in last year's playoffs but that would be a huge overreaction from Bird.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You actually want Andrea Bargnani? :o  Why?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:41:44 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Buying low on Bargnani will be overpaying.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Buying low on Bargnani will be overpaying.

/Thread

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
My idea was if we are going to keep Rondo and Green and not tank, maybe we can get a couple of overpaid bigs without hurting our assets or our ability to rebuild in 2 years.

Hibbert (defense) and Bargnani (no defense) might work well together.  It doesn't have to be Bargnani, it could have been Boozer, or Ryan Anderson, or maybe David Lee?  Bargnani would cost few assets, why not give him a shot?  He is on his last year.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Bargnani is only useful if you are trying to lose games. Because he can't play basketball.

Hibbert is not a star. He is a good defender and a terrible offensive player, making for an average starter.

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd do both but no way Indy goes for it.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
I'd take a shot on Hibbert.  As horrible as he was in the playoffs this year, he's a better player than people are giving him credit for.

For Bargs, they'd have to throw in 2 unprotected first rounders for me to even consider taking him on.  Seeing him in a Celtics jersey every game night would make me cringe.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I would like to trade for one of them, but I think both would be unrealistic and I'm not sure we can still be a running team with both of them on the court together.

A deal could be: Bass, Bogans and Faverani and the philly pick for Hibbert, but they may want another pick and we should give them that!

A deal for Bargnani could be: Bagnani for Bass, Bogans and Faverani + one of the Nets picks. I would love to do this deal, but I'm not sure, that the knicks value our guys that much.

It would be so nice to get a great center. If we are able to land one of these deals I believe we have a pretty decent team next season!

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No to Barfgani.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
No to Barfgani.

But, but - he's the next Dirk Nowitzki ::)

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
It's easy to make fun of Bargnani, but he would be a massive upgrade for us. Who do you guys think could even get close to his game on the current Celtics Roster? Zeller, Faverani, Sullinger, Anthony no not really.

He might make a lot of stupid calls, but he is still a pretty good center with a great size!

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
It's easy to make fun of Bargnani, but he would be a massive upgrade for us. Who do you guys think could even get close to his game on the current Celtics Roster? Zeller, Faverani, Sullinger, Anthony no not really.

He might make a lot of stupid calls, but he is still a pretty good center with a great size!

Sullinger is already better than Bargnani because of his passing and rebounding abilities.  Bargnani is 7'0" and has averaged 3.7 and 5.3 rpg in each of the last two seasons, respectively :o

Of course, it's also amusing how the second google search result you get after typing in his name is Andrea Bargnani dunk fail ;D

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:11:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He's not a pretty good center., so your problem starts with that mistaken belief.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference