Author Topic: IDEA - Green for Bennett, Delladova  (Read 1892 times)

IDEA - Green for Bennett, Delladova
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Cavs are obviously looking like a real contender with Lebron back, but he needs some more help this season.  Bennett, while having a lot of potential, likely isn't going to provide much real help, especially defensively, for Cleveland this year (and maybe not next year either).  That is where Green can really help them.  Green is a pretty good shooter and an above average defender.  He has the versatility to play SG, SF, and PF for at least certain stretches.  He would be a great fit with James and Wiggins (and even Waiters) in that regard and has the ability to take over games on occasion (when James is a bit off or they just need that extra something).  Delladova is added for salary purposes.  Boston does the trade to continue the youth movement and take a chance that Bennett lives up to his potential in a year or two (it also saves some money this year).  Cleveland post-trade would upgrade its starting lineup by putting Green in there at SG (or SF with James at PF).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: IDEA - Green for Bennett, Delladova
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think we've helped the Cavs enough this summer.

They should return the favor and deal us Kyrie for Chris Babb.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
No way..and why everyone want to trade Green? I know he has his ups and downs but he is a good player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No way..and why everyone want to trade Green? I know he has his ups and downs but he is a good player
I really like Bennett.  I don't know if he lives up to the potential he has, but he has a much higher ceiling than Jeff Green.  It is one of those trades that might actually work out well for both teams.  Cavs get immediate help, Boston gets future help.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bennett is going to be a stretch PF. Not quite quick enough to play against quick SF.

I think Cavs keep him for this reason. If he gets a consistent out side shot, he's a cheaper version of Love, and they can fill holes in other places.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Bennett is going to be a stretch PF. Not quite quick enough to play against quick SF.

I think Cavs keep him for this reason. If he gets a consistent out side shot, he's a cheaper version of Love, and they can fill holes in other places.
Yeah but both Green can play the stretch 4 role, is better than Bennett, and unlike Bennett can also play SF.  That is why I think they might consider the trade.  It makes them more competitive in the short term and it isn't like Green is old.  He is just entering his prime so he could be a nice long term piece for them.

Bennett has a much higher ceiling, but he may never be the player that Jeff Green is and for a team looking to win, those are the types of trades that are often made.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yeah but both Green can play the stretch 4 role, is better than Bennett, and unlike Bennett can also play SF.  That is why I think they might consider the trade.  It makes them more competitive in the short term and it isn't like Green is old.  He is just entering his prime so he could be a nice long term piece for them.

Bennett has a much higher ceiling, but he may never be the player that Jeff Green is and for a team looking to win, those are the types of trades that are often made.

But Green isn't great at the PF spot and sucks at rebounding.  And when you have Irving,Lebron, and Wiggins, you want a guy that can board to get it out to one of these guys. Not a guy who is going to have to be one of the runners. I wouldn't want Lebron wasting his energy on rebounding because Green can't. Green's a better 2 than 4, and I don't think they will slide Wiggins around too much his first year.

And when Lebron decides to jump over to the PF spot in a few years, Bennetts value should have increased and you could make a nice trade for a position you need. You could slide Wiggins to SF, and grab a spot up shooter.

Plus my point was more for us. We have KO and Sully, we don't need Bennett. Wiggins for Green, than we have some thing there! :P

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I really like Bennett.  I don't know if he lives up to the potential he has, but he has a much higher ceiling than Jeff Green.  It is one of those trades that might actually work out well for both teams.  Cavs get immediate help, Boston gets future help.

This.

He never deserved that #1 overall, but he does have a high ceiling.

His weight loss is a testament to his work ethic. His mentality on the boards is better than Green already. He's got a good mid range game coming in that he can improve and be elite. He's athletic.

I'd do it if Cleveland will.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Celtics don't need another PF.

This deal helps the Cavs a lot more than it helps the Celtics.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Celtics don't need another PF.

This deal helps the Cavs a lot more than it helps the Celtics.

+1

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't hate it. It's a lateral move. One disappointment for another.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But Green isn't great at the PF spot and sucks at rebounding.  And when you have Irving,Lebron, and Wiggins, you want a guy that can board to get it out to one of these guys. Not a guy who is going to have to be one of the runners. I wouldn't want Lebron wasting his energy on rebounding because Green can't. Green's a better 2 than 4, and I don't think they will slide Wiggins around too much his first year.

And when Lebron decides to jump over to the PF spot in a few years, Bennetts value should have increased and you could make a nice trade for a position you need. You could slide Wiggins to SF, and grab a spot up shooter.

Plus my point was more for us. We have KO and Sully, we don't need Bennett. Wiggins for Green, than we have some thing there! :P
All those things you say about Green are even worse for Bennett though, it is just that Bennett oozes potential.  For the Cavs it made some sense to draft him when they weren't in win now mode, but now that they are in win now mode, making that sort of trade is the right type of trade.  Green's versatility, and his above average defense, are badly needed by the Cavs.  Green would be a nice 3/4 scorer for them, can eat up the minutes, and will play way above average defense (both man and team).  He is a good compliment to James, Irving, and Wiggins.