Author Topic: Can renounced players be signed and then traded?  (Read 680 times)

Can renounced players be signed and then traded?
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I'm sure this has been answered many times, so please just humor me.

In order to not get into the luxury tax, instead of trying to add a player with the MLE, could we aquire Evan Turner and Ed davis through sign and trade deals?

Pacers might could use Thornton for one year.  Memphis might could use Bass behind Randolph for one year.  It would help us get a little younger and a little more athletic, both players would be good defenders off the bench. Maybe with Rondo and Wallace around, the locker room wouldn't be taken over by any immaturity.  Still have Anthony as an expiring at the end of the year plus an exception from Humphries?

Re: Can renounced players be signed and then traded?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Renounced players can't be signed-and-traded, as you need to have a players Bird, Early Bird, or non-Bird rights to sign and trade him.  Renounced players can be signed by their former team -- they just need to sign with cap room or another exception.

That said, I do not believe the Pacers renounced Turner -- they merely declined to extend him a (very large) qualifying offer.  That is different than renouncing.

Of course, I don't think the Pacers have much interest in Thornton.