Author Topic: Marcus Smart Time Capsule Thread  (Read 6244 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Time Capsule Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Quality backup to Bradley and Rondo in year 1... average something like 6 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.1 steals on 40% shooting in about 20 MPG.   Then maybe in 3 years he'll be a starting guard for someone.

If we trade Rondo or move Smart to Minny, I can see him get something like 10 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.6 steals on 38% shooting in 30 MPG for a bottom 5 team.

Lol i have no idea.  I hope I'm really wrong.  People who think he's going to be a borderline all-star in year 1 are likely tripping, though.

You forgot to qualify your verbose analysis with the fact that you don't follow *college* basketball and have little idea what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:32:47 PM by NorthernLightning »

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Despite being advertised as a "shooter," he was anything but that in his one season at UK. We'll see. Wasn't very impressed with his shooting and I would hold back on pegging him our best shooter until I actually see improvements.

Did you watch Kentucky at all this year ?

When you hit 82 three pointer's at a 43 % clip, what else do you want to be advertised at ?  That's a 18 year old boy doing that, btw.

That's a shooter, if you ask anybody who watched him.  I wouldn't go out on that limb and say he's our best shooter, but still.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
like the idea.

experiences shooting woes throughout the season so he doesn't become the starting SG we'd like but his D makes him a solid contributor off the bench.  shows promise on his ability to drive and draw fouls until other teams dare him to shoot and his % justifies that as the method to defend him.

by the end of the season, he looks like he'll at least be a solid 1st guard off the bench going forward but at least half the posters here will be moaning we should have taken player X that we passed over because they had a better rookie year.

Career wise, I think he gets his shooting % up to where he's a legit threat out to at least 20 feet which makes his drives to the basket that much more effective.  kid ends up averaging 15 points per game by his 3rd season

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
His defense was much better in the tournament when he buckled down and became more mature and disciplined. And he has that 7' wingspan to be very bothersome contesting shots and passing lanes.

After we drafted him I pegged him as a SF, but after re-watching his tournament games, I think he is going to be just fine at SG in the NBA, and elite size for that position.

Earlier in the season he was still shaking off the AAU unaccountable/undisciplined mentality, and he was awful on defense. But he made big strides in the tourney, where he wasn't a liability at all.

And he may very well be this team's best clutch shooter/scorer.
agreed. He is a SG, not a SF.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Quality backup to Bradley and Rondo in year 1... average something like 6 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.1 steals on 40% shooting in about 20 MPG.   Then maybe in 3 years he'll be a starting guard for someone.

If we trade Rondo or move Smart to Minny, I can see him get something like 10 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.6 steals on 38% shooting in 30 MPG for a bottom 5 team.

Lol i have no idea.  I hope I'm really wrong.  People who think he's going to be a borderline all-star in year 1 are likely tripping, though.

You forgot to qualify your verbose analysis with the fact that you don't follow *college* basketball and have little idea what you're talking about.
I watched him summer league, though.  :)  I can't see him contending for ROY backing up Avery Bradley.

I think he'll be a Top 7 rookie next year though. 

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13

I watched him summer league, though.  :)  I can't see him contending for ROY backing up Avery Bradley.

You just should get off any thread with Marcus Smart on it.  Every time you comment on him you talk about how bad he is when you don't know anything about basketball

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I was a very strong proponent of picking Smart at #6 and argued that he was one one of the best 3 prospects in the draft. I think he's going to become a perennial all-star and franchise-type player that scores in bunches and provides elite, all-NBA level defense. I believe his outside shot will improve to Bradley-like levels or slightly below and but that his ability to get to the rim will separate him from other Gs offensively.

James Young is so talented yet raw that he could realistically become an all-star, an average starter, a bench scorer, or a complete bust. His upside was more than worth the pick at 17, though I would have preferred a trade up for TJ Warren.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

You just should get off any thread with Marcus Smart on it.  Every time you comment on him you talk about how bad he is when you don't know anything about basketball
I didn't say he was bad.  I said that barring a trade, he's a backup next year.  I don't see how he's going to contend for ROY getting 20 minutes off our bench.

Or you know... maybe we'll pay Avery Bradley 8 million a year to back up a rookie... since that'd make a lot of sense, right?

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would be very interested in seeing how Rondo, Bradley and Smart played together, but I don't think it's smart to have 3 players on the court who are combined 18 feet tall. 

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I didn't say he was bad.  I said that barring a trade, he's a backup next year.  I don't see how he's going to contend for ROY getting 20 minutes off our bench.

Or you know... maybe we'll pay Avery Bradley 8 million a year to back up a rookie... since that'd make a lot of sense, right?

I think you are spot on with Smart's rookie stats, again provided Rondo is still on the team.

I will add that Smart will be almost as good a defender as peak Bradley or Celtic version of Tony Allen by the end of his rookie year. With minutes, and hopefully a better winning team in his year 2 he should be in the mix for all defensive team.

I dont know if he will ever be an all star. I do believe that he will at least be a high end role playing starter. If he gets his shot working better in a few years he can absolutely become an all star though.

I predict his shot will get better, but not quite a all star better.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 07:19:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
I would be very interested in seeing how Rondo, Bradley and Smart played together, but I don't think it's smart to have 3 players on the court who are combined 18 feet tall.

I think it could work for a 2-5 minute blitz in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Olynyk and Zeller could be intersting high energy guys to throw into that mix. Or go smaller with Green or Wallace at the 4 for a few minutes.

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart and Young become Gary Payton and Allan Houston type players.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

I think it could work for a 2-5 minute blitz in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. Olynyk and Zeller could be intersting high energy guys to throw into that mix. Or go smaller with Green or Wallace at the 4 for a few minutes.

The defensive combination of Bradley and Smart will be fun to watch. They are really going to get under other guards' skin. Bradley can do that already, and smart is a different kind of physical defensive pest.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Rookie stats:
Pre-Rondo trade :  41 games, 30 starts, 12.1 ppg, 4.3 apg, 3.8 rpg, 2.0 topg, 1.3 spg, 30.2 mpg, 43%fg  30% 3fg
Post-Rondo trade: 41 games, 41 starts, 13.4 ppg, 5.6 apg, 4.0 rpg, 2.3 topg, 1.6 spg, 34.8 mpg, 42%fg  31%3fg

3rd in Roy voting ( Jabari Parker, Julius Randle )

All rookie first team, rising  star game mvp

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
12 ppg 3 assists 3 rebounds rookie season. Becomes starter after trade deadline. Lifetime Celtic. Averages 24pts 6 assists 5 rebounds career.

Comparison is Dwayne Wade/Russell Westbrook
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart