Author Topic: Marcus Smart Time Capsule Thread  (Read 6264 times)

Marcus Smart Time Capsule Thread
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
There have been some over the top pessimistic posts about Marcus Smart lately, I think largely in part due to everyone having their hopes up about Embiid or Exum falling to us at 6 and then having those dreams crushed like grapes.

However, Marcus Smart looks to be a player and I'm glad we picked him at 6.  Since so many of my CB colleagues however are unduly negative, I figured we should have people put their thoughts on record in this thread, then we can come back and look at them at the end of the season.  It should be a fun exercise and maybe it will allow people to reflect on what we actually have instead of being so worked up over getting a good player in green.

Bonus TPs for good analysis on James Young and Julius Randle, too. 

Re: Marcus Smart Time Capsule Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
4th place for rookie of the year...Will resemble slower but close versions of d wade and flashes of deron williams by the time its all said and done.

James young will be the next Michael redd  with more athleticism. For now he will be a mikael pietrus type until he develops.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:36:13 PM by Waew »

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 02:33:15 PM »

Offline Coach42

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
Defensive bulldog and fan favorite. Borderline all star early, develops a decent mid/long range game mid career.   Baron Davis like upside.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
I already gave my "analysis", but here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUXFS6jFFrY

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Solid Thread Idea...

He will struggle early with shot selection and turnovers in part because of time at both guard positions, but when all is said and done he will be one of the best all around guards in the league.  He'll score by penetrating, getting to the line, and learning his spots on the court (elbow J's).

I see a borderline all star and solid 2nd star on a playoff team.  ALL defensive player and team captain.  I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes a better scorer than most anticipate.

Edit: He'll have a better career than Exum.

http://www.nbadraft.net/face-dante-exum-vs-marcus-smart

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:49:28 PM by DraftSmart33 »

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I would love for him to be like Avery Bradley two years ago, all defense, and a hard cutter plus some time playing point guard and to see him develop his shooting game. That sounds quite a lot, but he is the 6th pick in a "loaded" draft.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Defensive bulldog and fan favorite. Borderline all star early, develops a decent mid/long range game mid career.   Baron Davis like upside.

Sounds about right.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
2nd place ROY behind Jabari Parker

will average 12 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg 1spg in first season

will start over Bradley in the 2nd season. Will start in first season when/if Bradley/Rondo is out with injury
When Smart starts, I think he will average 16 ppg, 3 rpg, 4apg, and 2 spg

James Young will PROBABLY play in the D-League for most of his first season. Will be called back occasionally.

Bold prediction - Green get's traded, Wallace starts in the mean time and Young gets recalled averaging 5 ppg

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
2nd team all defense in his first year.  10 ppg, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 2.11 steals per game in 30 minutes.

All done with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Yeah, if Smart can earn All Defensive Team accolades as a rookie, that will really help him to earn ROY.

This whole ROY debate is predicated on the idea that defense doesn't count for much in the voting for this award, but that shouldn't affect how we rate these rookies and prospects.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:15 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
I'll also go on record to say that James Young's defense is better than advertised, and was rock solid in the tourney.

I think he is going to impress from day 1, and all these fans penciling him in for the DLeague will change their minds pretty quickly. He might be better than Thornton already, and might be better than Bradley by mid-season.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I'll also go on record to say that James Young's defense is better than advertised, and was rock solid in the tourney.

I think he is going to impress from day 1, and all these fans penciling him in for the DLeague will change their minds pretty quickly. He might be better than Thornton already, and might be better than Bradley by mid-season.

You are way too confident in Young. His defense was buns all season. He constantly let his opposition blow past him. I don't know if we are watching the same James Young. Because defense is definitely not his forte.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
His defense was much better in the tournament when he buckled down and became more mature and disciplined. And he has that 7' wingspan to be very bothersome contesting shots and passing lanes.

After we drafted him I pegged him as a SF, but after re-watching his tournament games, I think he is going to be just fine at SG in the NBA, and elite size for that position.

Earlier in the season he was still shaking off the AAU unaccountable/undisciplined mentality, and he was awful on defense. But he made big strides in the tourney, where he wasn't a liability at all.

And he may very well be this team's best clutch shooter/scorer.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Despite being advertised as a "shooter," he was anything but that in his one season at UK. We'll see. Wasn't very impressed with his shooting and I would hold back on pegging him our best shooter until I actually see improvements.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Quality backup to Bradley and Rondo in year 1... average something like 6 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.1 steals on 40% shooting in about 20 MPG.   Then maybe in 3 years he'll be a starting guard for someone.

If we trade Rondo or trade Smart to Minny, I can see him get something like 10 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds, 1.6 steals on 38% shooting in 30 MPG for a bottom 5 team.

Lol i have no idea.  I hope I'm really wrong.  People who think he's going to be a borderline all-star in year 1 are likely tripping, though.