Author Topic: Dante Exum is Impressive  (Read 12317 times)

Re: Dante Exum is Impressive
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Reportedly, the celtics war room on draft night applauded when the selection before Smart was made and they realized Smart would be there for them at 6. That selection must have been Exum, so they would have likely passed on Exum to take Smart if both guys were there at 6.

So far in summer league, Exum has looked far worse than Smart.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Reportedly, the celtics war room on draft night applauded when the selection before Smart was made and they realized Smart would be there for them at 6. That selection must have been Exum, so they would have likely passed on Exum to take Smart if both guys were there at 6.

I know I cheered when everybody's favorite binky, Aaron Gordon, went off the board at #4 thus keeping him away from Danny.   Also, at that point, felt good that Smart would be there at #6 for the C's which is who I wanted anyways.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
His first step looks superquick. He will be a problem for the opponents eventually, nice prospect.

Wiggins, Parker & Doug McDermott will be too. I like this draftclass a lot.

(And of course Mr.Marcus. He is just more in the PP type of mold, jack of all trades)

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

I know I cheered when everybody's favorite binky, Aaron Gordon, went off the board at #4 thus keeping him away from Danny.   Also, at that point, felt good that Smart would be there at #6 for the C's which is who I wanted anyways.

That's how I felt. I said, anyone but Gordon. He just looked like an overly smug b.

Also, where did this report come from? I've followed the draft closely and read nothing indicating this.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Exum will be an all-star player, but he grew up liking the Lakers and wants to live in LA. I give him to the end of his rookie contract before he bolts for the Lakers.

Just because he grew up a Laker fan doesn't mean he will sign with them. What if he embraces Utah and the organization? Jumping the gun a bit here.

Pierce was a die-hard Laker fan.

Exum isn't an American, and as a foreigner, you definitely want to live in a big city and experience the best of the States (Yes that is an assumption, but not unwarranted if you read Exum's pre-draft comments). I will bet anything he doesn't stay in Utah long term. He's mentioned over and over again that his number 1 choice would be the Lakers and that he wanted to be in a big city such as NYC or LA. Didn't he even refrain from some workouts at certain cities because he didn't want to go there?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Smart would own him defensively.  Exum is still a kid.  Marcus is a man.

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
When they were matched up in the under-19 tourney (a tourney that Exum played very well in) Smart completely shut him down.

Another Red Flag was how unwilling Exum was to compete against any of his peers...while Payton and Smart willingly battle it out for many different teams Exum hid to keep his stock value high.  I don't think the C's would have taken him at 6 if he fell.

Here's a link to a video that includes their match up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncQcm7gmxk

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:35:08 PM by DraftSmart33 »

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Exum will be an all-star player, but he grew up liking the Lakers and wants to live in LA. I give him to the end of his rookie contract before he bolts for the Lakers.

Just because he grew up a Laker fan doesn't mean he will sign with them. What if he embraces Utah and the organization? Jumping the gun a bit here.

Pierce was a die-hard Laker fan.

Exum isn't an American, and as a foreigner, you definitely want to live in a big city and experience the best of the States (Yes that is an assumption, but not unwarranted if you read Exum's pre-draft comments). I will bet anything he doesn't stay in Utah long term. He's mentioned over and over again that his number 1 choice would be the Lakers and that he wanted to be in a big city such as NYC or LA. Didn't he even refrain from some workouts at certain cities because he didn't want to go there?

Again, what if he he likes Utah and the fans? There's a big chance he remains with the Jazz. Also I think he refrained, so GM's don't get access to his athletics and measurements.

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think that "report" was a PR to pump up the Smart pick.  I seriously doubt Celts would have passed on Exum.  Having said that, I think it is too early to project who will be a better player in the NBA.  I think Smart overall has looked better, especially defensively, but to say Exum has looked far worse than a guy who shot under 30% in SL?  C'mon.

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I just think find it amusing that when a player does well in SL that's when people say "it's just SL" but when some aspects of their game look weak all of a sudden they're busts or won't be as good as other players, etc.

This is how I feel on the whole Smart vs Exum debate. We don't know whose going to be better and it's foolish to be upset about the coin toss at present especially over SL. We may not know for years. Smart showed a ton of potential in our SL games. Defense, passing instincts, leadership, got himself to the line, etc. His only negative was his shot which can definitely improve.

Exum has shown potential as well (though I've seen less of him so far).

Why are we arguing over this?...

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Seeing Exum play makes me mad that Ainge couldn't lost just one more game. Smart is a bust.

You couldn't have possible watched Smart or Exum play.  Exum averaged 7 pts per 30 min in summer league and disappeared constantly, at times looking lost on the court.   Smart averaged 14-5-5-2.

Comment with support...or at least thought.

You think I'm commenting on just SL? The guy has freakish physical tools. He has an amazing first step. Can you imagine if Ainge had just gotten it right and drafted the Greek Freak and lost one more game to get his hands on Exum? My god that would be pure athletic talent. Instead we get KO and Smart...ugh

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 06:58:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I couldn't agree more. Well stated too. A tp for you sir.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 07:02:48 PM »

fitzhickey

Yeah he is. He has shown some brilliant flashes (like I thought he would  ;D )

But I am certainly more than happy with Smart.

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Seeing Exum play makes me mad that Ainge couldn't lost just one more game. Smart is a bust.

You couldn't have possible watched Smart or Exum play.  Exum averaged 7 pts per 30 min in summer league and disappeared constantly, at times looking lost on the court.   Smart averaged 14-5-5-2.

Comment with support...or at least thought.

You think I'm commenting on just SL? The guy has freakish physical tools. He has an amazing first step. Can you imagine if Ainge had just gotten it right and drafted the Greek Freak and lost one more game to get his hands on Exum? My god that would be pure athletic talent. Instead we get KO and Smart...ugh

What's wrong with Smart and Olynyk? And just because Exum has the tools, doesn't mean that he'll succeed in the NBA.