Author Topic: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans  (Read 12241 times)

Re: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
as I said on the first page, why are we assuming Rivers Instagram post means he was cut.  It could have been about anything and considering there is still no official confirmation, I'd be surprised if he was actually cut.

In page 2 it was relatively confirmed he is not at present being cut.  Now we're just back to one of our favorite Celticsblog activities -- labeling a young player/former draft pick as a bust.  At some point I hope we realize that half of the 2012 1st round draft class can be labeled as such, and probably more of the 2013, so maybe it's time we reset our expectations of draft picks.

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Meh...waved or not

Huge bust for this blog of dreamers

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
as I said on the first page, why are we assuming Rivers Instagram post means he was cut.  It could have been about anything and considering there is still no official confirmation, I'd be surprised if he was actually cut.

It was a rumor, a supposition, not a confirmation. Hence the discussion.

In either case, it appears that he has not been waived/cut. However, it's interesting to note that a third year, underperforming guard was omitted from NOLA's summer league roster. You would have figured a guard like Rivers would've clearly been in there just for the reps. Regardless if NOLA already knew what they had, it's a way to showcase him to the teams, for better or for worse. Yeah, it's a gamble but if Jimmer can bounce around as much as he has I'm sure Rivers along will maintain a job in the NBA given his youth and name until he's thirty.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2014, 10:24:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In page 2 it was relatively confirmed he is not at present being cut.  Now we're just back to one of our favorite Celticsblog activities -- labeling a young player/former draft pick as a bust.  At some point I hope we realize that half of the 2012 1st round draft class can be labeled as such, and probably more of the 2013, so maybe it's time we reset our expectations of draft picks.

Yeah, tp, if you actually rank draft picks by year, it becomes pretty underwhelming. Oftentimes our very own Jeff Green is labeled as a disappointment for a number 5 pick, but I you rank his draft class, he is basically the sixth best player from that class (assuming you rank him ahead of Thaddeus Young). Expectations certainly need to be addressed.