Author Topic: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans  (Read 12242 times)

Re: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Can't hate on the guy for listening to his agent, I agree.

and judging by this thread, things have gone so well for him since...

I'm not hating on him.  I'm pointing out that he made a bad decision.  He would have been one of the best players in college last year and next year and the money would have still been there for him.  He would also have a degree and a great college career at Duke which would set him up well if the NBA doesn't work out for him.

On the flip side, if he stays in college, he may fall out of the first round, and the draft entirely.  Look at James McAdoo from UNC.  Most assumed he'd be a late lotto pick if he left early.  Dude stuck around for a few years, and now he's a mid 2nd round pick.

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'm not hating on him.  I'm pointing out that he made a bad decision.  He would have been one of the best players in college last year and next year and the money would have still been there for him.  He would also have a degree and a great college career at Duke which would set him up well if the NBA doesn't work out for him.

The bolded is completely unsubstantiated hypothesis, and the money he made in the NBA is going to help him significantly more than a college degree, because, you know, he's Doc Rivers' son, and as such doesn't need the degree to get the in at the NBA front office or whatever.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

The bolded is completely unsubstantiated hypothesis, and the money he made in the NBA is going to help him significantly more than a college degree, because, you know, he's Doc Rivers' son, and as such doesn't need the degree to get the in at the NBA front office or whatever.

As a freshman, Austin averaged 15.5 ppg on 48% shooting for a top college team.  I don't think it's much of a stretch to project he would have been improved as an upperclassmen and still would have likely been a first round pick. 

Being Doc's son does not guarantee himself a front office job or whatever.  Certainly, an education, especially a Duke education, would help with that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:50:12 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 05:50:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The assumption that having a dad who is an NBA general manager (president of player affairs orwhatever his "real" title is) would help him get an NBA job is a much safer assumption than the idea that he would still be a top 10 pick if he had come out three years later.

Do you think Austin Ainge got more out of his career from his BYU diploma, or from the name on the back of the jersey?  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The assumption that having a dad who is an NBA general manager (president of player affairs orwhatever his "real" title is) would help him get an NBA job is a much safer assumption than the idea that he would still be a top 10 pick if he had come out three years later.

Do you think Austin Ainge got more out of his career from his BYU diploma, or from the name on the back of the jersey?  ;)

Austin Ainge is just one example, and yes I think his degree and the education that came with that has played a part in his ascent in the Celtics organization.

I'm surprised you think Austin made a wise decision to go pro when he did considering he has been called a bust by many during the past two years and is in danger of being cut, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
He sucks

He was bust from the word go

Tend to agree. The only reason he was drafted so highly, to my eye, was the pedigree.

Plus, historically, how many sons of former nba players have been better than their father?  Kobe is the only one that I can think of.

Steph Curry

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Austin Ainge is just one example, and yes I think his degree and the education that came with that has played a part in his ascent in the Celtics organization.

I'm surprised you think Austin made a wise decision to go pro when he did considering he has been called a bust by many during the past two years and is in danger of being cut, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

Well, he's made $4.6 million more than he would've had he stayed in college the past two years and is guaranteed at least another $2.4 million on top of that.  He's also improved considerably from his horrible rookie year and may very well manage to stick around in the league if he continues on this upward trajectory.  Looks like he bet right to me.

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
He sucks

Tend to agree. The only reason he was drafted so highly, to my eye, was the pedigree.

Plus, historically, how many sons of former nba players have been better than their father?  Kobe is the only one that I can think of.

Steph Curry
Jaylen Rose, Wiggins, Jabari,..........and phil pressey

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:01 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
we certainly do need another tweener guard that cant shoot....amirite?

::)

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
He sucks

Steph Curry
Jaylen Rose, Wiggins, Jabari,..........and phil pressey

You both forgot to add the immortal Luke Walton
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
He sucks

Steph Curry

Kevin Love

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 01:31:00 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Well, he's made $4.6 million more than he would've had he stayed in college the past two years and is guaranteed at least another $2.4 million on top of that.  He's also improved considerably from his horrible rookie year and may very well manage to stick around in the league if he continues on this upward trajectory.  Looks like he bet right to me.

Exactly. Rivers was/is probably never going to be considered a world beater, especially not when the "small guard" position is so crowded, and his draft stock was probably never going to be higher than when he declared, which is why he declared. You declare for the draft when you'll make the most money.

Does he go top 10 if he declares in 2013? Maybe. Does he go top 10 if he declares in 2014? Probably not. Does three years as a "student-athlete" at Duke really make that much more of a difference--aside from the number of wealthy coeds he'd have carnal access to and the amount of money the NCAA would make, of which he would receive exactly none? Meh.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 02:38:32 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Wasted draft pick by NOLA if you ask me. There were better options than him. some posters here also clamored that we trade up to pick Austin
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:21 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

As a freshman, Austin averaged 15.5 ppg on 48% shooting for a top college team.  I don't think it's much of a stretch to project he would have been improved as an upperclassmen and still would have likely been a first round pick. 

Being Doc's son does not guarantee himself a front office job or whatever.  Certainly, an education, especially a Duke education, would help with that.

Come on, its all about who you know. Most of my friends from high school have gotten great jobs at their dads work. The amount of opportunities that must come from being Docs kid....

I don't know about front office jobs, but he will be placed in a job where he makes more than 6 figures a year, and a job that he loves(I'm speculating)

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
as I said on the first page, why are we assuming Rivers Instagram post means he was cut.  It could have been about anything and considering there is still no official confirmation, I'd be surprised if he was actually cut.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip