Author Topic: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans  (Read 12235 times)

Re: Rumor: Austin Rivers waived by Pelicans
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Scott Kushner @ScottDKushner

For those reading into Austin Rivers' instagram post...don't. Heard from plenty of the people at the #Pelicans he's not going anywhere now.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Probably got dumped.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
At first i misread the title as:

Re: Rumor: Austin Powers waived by Pelicans

I would waive him too, Powers is so 15 years ago.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He sucks

He was bust from the word go

Tend to agree. The only reason he was drafted so highly, to my eye, was the pedigree.

Plus, historically, how many sons of former nba players have been better than their father?  Kobe is the only one that I can think of.  It certainly wouldn't be Brent or Jon Barry lol.  Tim Hardaway jr, though, was much better than I expected, but again, he's not his dad.  It's kind of unfair to the kids of these guys who decide to play basketball.  The pressure must be enormous.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I saw this bust coming years back.

He didn't have the physical tools or skill level to be the scorer he was being hyped as.

I wish him the best and hope he finds a role in the league.

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
He sucks

Tend to agree. The only reason he was drafted so highly, to my eye, was the pedigree.

Plus, historically, how many sons of former nba players have been better than their father?  Kobe is the only one that I can think of.  It certainly wouldn't be Brent or Jon Barry lol.  Tim Hardaway jr, though, was much better than I expected, but again, he's not his dad.  It's kind of unfair to the kids of these guys who decide to play basketball.  The pressure must be enormous.

It's a good question.  See link -- actually have been quite a few better sons.  Steph Curry, Kiki Vanderweghe, Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Wally Szerbiak, Kevin Love, Al Horford, Mike Bibby, Rex Chapman -- to name a few.   Some surprises on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_second_generation_National_Basketball_Association_players

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It was a huge mistake for him to go pro when he did.  He did not have point guard skills or off the ball skills.  In college, he was quick enough to create his own offense with the ball in his hand, but not quick enough to do the same in the NBA.  It was obvious watching Duke games, that he wasn't ready and he certainly didnt need the money.  Now he would be one year away from getting his degree and might have even had a chance to win a title with last season's Duke team.

Considering who his father is, it's really surprising he didn't get better advice than he did. 

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 04:41:43 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
He might have had great advice but just didn't follow it. It's done now anyway. He's playing in the NBA.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
It was a huge mistake for him to go pro when he did.  He did not have point guard skills or off the ball skills.  In college, he was quick enough to create his own offense with the ball in his hand, but not quick enough to do the same in the NBA.  It was obvious watching Duke games, that he wasn't ready and he certainly didnt need the money.  Now he would be one year away from getting his degree and might have even had a chance to win a title with last season's Duke team.

Considering who his father is, it's really surprising he didn't get better advice than he did.

You never know about things like family culture, bank accounts, expenses, personal values, etc. It's easy to think Austin didn't need the money, and I am sure he didn't 'need' money to attend school or have food and shelter.  But outside of basic necessities, none of us know about Austin's bank account or the Rivers family plans for their money.  What's more, we don't know how much money Doc has or what his expenses are.  He may be supporting 50 family members for all we know. And he may have told his kids that once they are out of college they are on their own. There may be no trust fund and maybe no Doc money for the kids till Doc and his wife die -- probably a long way off. 

So if Austin thinks he can get top 10 money in the 2012 draft and thinks strategically that going forward he might drop -- then why not pocket the 5 million or so that he earned as a top 10 pick the last 2 years?   Not bad for a 21 year old who is an NBA bench player.

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Can't hate on the guy for listening to his agent, I agree.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
He sucks

He used to practice and run threes with the Celtics.  I doubt Danny Ainge would hold him in high regard just because he was the Coach's son.  He needs time to develop. He was overhyped, but he never really got the minutes or mentoring in N.O.

A lot in the NBA is situational.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He sucks

Kevin Love is better than his father Bob.  Austin Daye might be better than his father Darren but that's not saying much. Ha. Didn't Al Hortford's father play in the NBA briefly?  Gerald Henderson or his son Gerald Henderson?  Steph Curry is much much better than his fathe Dell.  Father son both playing in the NBA happens more than we think which is pretty crazy.  Andrew Wiggins father too played in the NBA.  Didn't Mike Dunleavy's father play in the NBA or was he just a coach? Can't remember. 

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
All Austin Rivers ever did was hit a game winner against North Carolina over a poorly defending Tyler Zeller.

Outside of that he has done nothing and was a waste of a pick.  Can he be rebuilt?   Possibly, but I highly doubt the Clippers are not gonna get him if he is available in FA.

However, that being said, I am also a guy who believes in second chances if someone is willing to work for it.  If Rivers wants another shot in a new location, why not Boston.

Just my 2 cents on this, but just to provide full disclosure I am a North Carolina Fan and did not like Rivers game or attitude when he played.  He almost seemed entitled...

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Can't hate on the guy for listening to his agent, I agree.

and judging by this thread, things have gone so well for him since...

I'm not hating on him.  I'm pointing out that he made a bad decision.  He would have been one of the best players in college last year and next year and the money would have still been there for him.  He would also have a degree and a great college career at Duke which would set him up well if the NBA doesn't work out for him.

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
He sucks

Kevin Love is better than his father Bob.  Austin Daye might be better than his father Darren but that's not saying much. Ha. Didn't Al Hortford's father play in the NBA briefly?  Gerald Henderson or his son Gerald Henderson?  Steph Curry is much much better than his fathe Dell.  Father son both playing in the NBA happens more than we think which is pretty crazy.  Andrew Wiggins father too played in the NBA.  Didn't Mike Dunleavy's father play in the NBA or was he just a coach? Can't remember.

Mike played. Point guard if I remember correctly.  He was a bit before my time.  Another example is that Al Horford is light years ahead of his dad, Tito.