Author Topic: The star we should bring home in free agency in 2015  (Read 6405 times)

Re: The star we should bring home in free agency in 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
before i talk about a big for next year, lets see how the draft plays out.  there are a few legit 7'ers in next years draft that we could easily get in the lottery.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Boston has zero shot at getting any of these guys. Why would Gasol leave Memphis for a colder place that has less of a chance at contending? Love is heading to The Lakers. Please let's forget these pipe dreams. NO BIG NAME FREE AGENT WILL EVER SIGN HERE!!! Ever! The weather is terrible, the night life is lacking and places like LA are more attractive.

Sorry to break it to you but as nice and cute as Memphis might be, Boston is a FAR better city. Kevin Love apparently loved his trip. KG loved it here. Rondo loves it. This sentiment is a little off the mark. Boston is not destination #1, but it's not #30 either. Boston is one of the best cities in the country ... better than most NBA cities. Weather and taxes do give worse cities like ORL an advantage, but it's not the city itself. Do you see FAs lining up for ORL now that they suck? No. If Boston is building/winning/showing promise, key FAs will be interested. Bank it. People like success, and they'll follow it to Boston if we're building and showing signs of progress. If we suck this season, we'll be less appealing and everyone will blame it on the weather.

Boston straight up more appealing than > Detroit, Memphis, Philly, OKC, Indy, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, Minny, Cleveland (9 cities)

Boston roughly equal to CHI, TOR, WAS, maybe POR (debatable, worse than Boston) (4 cities)

Boston equal or behind bc of weather and/or taxes, not the city or franchise itself = SAC, ATL, SA, DAL, HOU, NO, DEN, CHA, PHX (9 cities)

Boston less appealing than < NYK, BK, GS/Bay Area, LA, LA, Miami (glam, weather, city size advantages) (6 cities/teams)

I think I'm missing two teams, but you get the picture. Boston is pretty much smack dab in the middle of NBA cities as far as appeal goes. It is a better city than most, with the BEST history of any franchise, but it is knocked down a couple rungs because of higher taxes than FLA and TX and colder weather than southern and western states.

There are far worse places to be. Let's get over this nobody wants to play in Boston BS.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think our reputation as a FA destination has actually improved in the past few years.  Compared to the Lakers we have a great owner and GM who has shown a commitment to it's players, as well as a coach who is like able.  Most importantly we are consistent and reliable. 

Players are signing shorter contracts (and therefore more potential movement), are valuing the "organization" more so than ever before, and are playing where they want to play.  I see us having some leverage in the future to get somebody to come here.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Boston has zero shot at getting any of these guys. Why would Gasol leave Memphis for a colder place that has less of a chance at contending? Love is heading to The Lakers. Please let's forget these pipe dreams. NO BIG NAME FREE AGENT WILL EVER SIGN HERE!!! Ever! The weather is terrible, the night life is lacking and places like LA are more attractive.

Sorry to break it to you but as nice and cute as Memphis might be, Boston is a FAR better city. Kevin Love apparently loved his trip. KG loved it here. Rondo loves it. This sentiment is a little off the mark. Boston is not destination #1, but it's not #30 either. Boston is one of the best cities in the country ... better than most NBA cities. Weather and taxes do give worse cities like ORL an advantage, but it's not the city itself. Do you see FAs lining up for ORL now that they suck? No. If Boston is building/winning/showing promise, key FAs will be interested. Bank it. People like success, and they'll follow it to Boston if we're building and showing signs of progress. If we suck this season, we'll be less appealing and everyone will blame it on the weather.

Boston straight up more appealing than > Detroit, Memphis, Philly, OKC, Indy, Salt Lake, Milwaukee, Minny, Cleveland (9 cities)

Boston roughly equal to CHI, TOR, WAS, maybe POR (debatable, worse than Boston) (4 cities)

Boston equal or behind bc of weather and/or taxes, not the city or franchise itself = SAC, ATL, SA, DAL, HOU, NO, DEN, CHA, PHX (9 cities)

Boston less appealing than < NYK, BK, GS/Bay Area, LA, LA, Miami (glam, weather, city size advantages) (6 cities/teams)

I think I'm missing two teams, but you get the picture. Boston is pretty much smack dab in the middle of NBA cities as far as appeal goes. It is a better city than most, with the BEST history of any franchise, but it is knocked down a couple rungs because of higher taxes than FLA and TX and colder weather than southern and western states.

There are far worse places to be. Let's get over this nobody wants to play in Boston BS.

You really think Boston is more desirable to most people than Chicago?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
NBA players prefer Memphis to Boston. And it's not really close.  Jalen Rose talked about it on the Simmons podcast last year.    Players love Memphis.

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I think it all depends on our roster...Nobody is coming here---if our roster stinks...Say we can somehow get KLove....then, I'd say Free Agents would be lining up to play here...with Rondo too of course.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think it all depends on our roster...Nobody is coming here---if our roster stinks...Say we can somehow get KLove....then, I'd say Free Agents would be lining up to play here...with Rondo too of course.

I think Rondo will at least attract tier 2 stars like Rudy Gay, etc...but we need a tier1 guy to attract another tier 1 star

how we get them, probably by trade.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
None. Wait for 2016 and plan A would be signing both Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant. That's why you skip 2015.

Rondo/smart
Young
Durant
Davis
J. Okafor

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
None. Wait for 2016 and plan A would be signing both Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant. That's why you skip 2015.

Rondo/smart
Young
Durant
Davis
J. Okafor
someone else may have said this here before you but that's the first time I've heard that idea and it's a pretty good one.  no guarantee either would leave their current teams but we'd definitely have the cap space that year and with Rondo still on the team, those 2 would put us as top contenders. 

definitely a tasty backup plan

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
before i talk about a big for next year, lets see how the draft plays out.  there are a few legit 7'ers in next years draft that we could easily get in the lottery.

There are definitely some intriguing big men in next year's draft class (all the more reason to tank for another year), but most of them are going to be projects.  I'd love to see us offer Marc Gasol a max offer contract next off season.  By the last two years of that deal we could have an incredible 1-2 punch at center.  And just as the young guy would be up for a new deal Gasol's contract would be coming off the books.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney

Rondo/smart
Young
Durant
Davis
J. Okafor

Davis isn't going anywhere.  Davis would only be a restricted free agent.  New Orleans would match any deal we could offer.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Rondo/smart
Young
Durant
Davis
J. Okafor
someone else may have said this here before you but that's the first time I've heard that idea and it's a pretty good one.  no guarantee either would leave their current teams but we'd definitely have the cap space that year and with Rondo still on the team, those 2 would put us as top contenders. 

A backup plan that's kind of like hoping you'll fall into a supermodel's arms if the barista turns you down for a date.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Rondo/smart
Young
Durant
Davis
J. Okafor

So let me get this straight.  Boston who has NEVER attracted a top Tier FA will bank on getting not one but 2 top FA (arguably the best player in the game in Durrant in 2 years)/  Plus we will resign Rondo without having either of them committed to us after next year since that's when Rondo is a FA?  Man I appreciate  your optimism but I think there's not a prayer of that happening...

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You really think Boston is more desirable to most people than Chicago?

I am not from Boston but I would choose it over Chicago because of the ocean is better than a great lake.  Fresh sea food beats freshwater fish.  Both have cold weather but Boston has more history.  We also win NBA history wise.  CHI has a better market to make secondary money but the BOS one is bigger geographically with a lot of NE.

That being said CHI didn't bring home a star this year and I doubt BOS will next year.   Stars like good weather and good weather places get stars all the time but it did not help LA or Houston this year.   

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
[Boston who has NEVER attracted a top Tier FA will bank on getting not one but 2 top FA (arguably the best player in the game in Durrant in 2 years)/  Plus we will resign Rondo without having either of them committed to us after next year since that's when Rondo is a FA?  Man I appreciate  your optimism but I think there's not a prayer of that happening...

To be fair, Boston has never had the cap space to attract a premier free agent.  But I do agree, this scenario is a total pipe dream.