Author Topic: The NBA is so Buddy-Buddy and watered down. Where's the good old fashioned hate?  (Read 3313 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Oh.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic, or double sarcastic but I think I agree ;D

On court rivalries and heated playoff battles have always been the breeding ground for sports "hate".

Guys can be friends off the floor and still wildly competitive on the floor.

I think what skews the NBA fan's opinion is the face of the league, Lebron, doesnt outwardly show the same crazy competitiveness that past legends have.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Glad you enjoyed it.

That photo reminded me that there's a lot more WWE style posturing on behalf of the good old days, when men were men crowd than they might want to admit.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
KG, Pierce and Rondo still sport this attitude. I miss the good ol' days.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Those two would run circles around Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, and any star of today.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's a little easier to be buddies when you're livin the good life 30 years removed from your careers

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good old fashioned hated rivalries are mostly in the fan bases now (and losing ground even there when in a number of threads here C's 'fans' think anyone other than the Lakers is the C's biggest rivalry). 

rivalry between the players on franchises started waning when the big name players started moving to other teams via free agency (or through forced trades).

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Hating someone on the court or when your competing in a work environment is different from hating them as a person.  I'm pretty sure Chamberlin and West hated every player on the C's after being shut down by them year after year.....and who would of known that Larry and Magic would hang out in Indy in the offseason.

I do wish we had more hate on the court though...love KG intensity, and Rondo for that matter (I clearly remember him giving $h!t to Chris Paul a few years ago)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Plenty of guys hate us and Celtics Nation, rest assured.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's a little easier to be buddies when you're livin the good life 30 years removed from your careers

Good point, but by all accounts Wilt and Russell were always relatively close.

Also, if anyone hasn't read The Rivalry, they absolutely should.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Rivalry-Russell-Chamberlain-Basketball/dp/0812970306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405520823&sr=8-1&keywords=Bill+Russell+Wilt+Chamberlain

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Who the heck said it was hate that made the NBA so good?

It was competition.

Wilt and Russell were the best competitors of all time, and they LIVED to compete against each other.  How can you call yourself the best if you're not competing against the best?

The insinuation that Wilt and Russell ever would have teamed up is both sad and beyond ignorance.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Also, I wouldn't say Wilt and Russell were "Buddy-Buddy" so much as I would say they were family.  They were thrown together and forced to stay that way just like siblings.  You love your brother, but you always want to beat him.  They would even eat at the same table, all the while thinking "I can't wait to kick this guy's butt."

The entire NBA was an extended family back then, Russell himself has said that.  Not everybody realizes how much smaller it was.  Wilt would score 100 points on the Knicks, and then get a ride from their players after the game.  If that's not family then I don't know what is.  I think he apologized to them for scoring 100 too.  Sooo much different than today; no point in comparison.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Which is to say, you're not wrong -- almost every rivalry in the NBA has been between guys who were, more or less, friends at the end of the day. Bird echoed your "competition" bit exactly on Letterman a couple years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShf9yw7leg

edit: the rest of the interview is so good, parts 2 and 3 added:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHW6v3jewZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7rGMVp_RpE

But, again, not really the point.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:45:23 AM by D.o.s. »