Author Topic: Memphis trade idea  (Read 1362 times)

Memphis trade idea
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Boston trades: Jeff Green
Memphis trades: Ed Davis (S&T), 2017 first round pick

Why for us:  Green's probably not a part of our long term future and we'd do well to get some value for him before he becomes a free agent.  Davis has so far been stuck in crowded frontcourts and struggled to get much playing time, but he has a lot of potential and has played well when given the opportunity.  He's someone that I think could blossom if given consistent playing time.  He gives us the length, athleticism, and defense that we're currently missing on our front line.  The pick we would get is a wild card; the Grizzlies are a good team but it could also end up in the lottery if Gasol leaves as a free agent and/or Randolph ages rapidly. 

Why for Memphis: They've struggled to find guys who can both space the floor for their big guys and play solid D.  Jeff gives them that, as well as much-needed athleticism and one on one scoring ability on the wing.  He also gives them a potential small ball power forward if they want to go small to match up with a team like OKC.  Davis is never going to get consistent playing time for Memphis, so they might as well get some value for him, and they may be willing to gamble that the pick they give up ends up being a late first rounder if they stay competitive for the next few years.

Thoughts?

Re: Memphis trade idea
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »

Offline Aymanelgowainy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Boston trades: Jeff Green
Memphis trades: Ed Davis (S&T), 2017 first round pick

Why for us:  Green's probably not a part of our long term future and we'd do well to get some value for him before he becomes a free agent.  Davis has so far been stuck in crowded frontcourts and struggled to get much playing time, but he has a lot of potential and has played well when given the opportunity.  He's someone that I think could blossom if given consistent playing time.  He gives us the length, athleticism, and defense that we're currently missing on our front line.  The pick we would get is a wild card; the Grizzlies are a good team but it could also end up in the lottery if Gasol leaves as a free agent and/or Randolph ages rapidly. 

Why for Memphis: They've struggled to find guys who can both space the floor for their big guys and play solid D.  Jeff gives them that, as well as much-needed athleticism and one on one scoring ability on the wing.  He also gives them a potential small ball power forward if they want to go small to match up with a team like OKC.  Davis is never going to get consistent playing time for Memphis, so they might as well get some value for him, and they may be willing to gamble that the pick they give up ends up being a late first rounder if they stay competitive for the next few years.

Thoughts?
Only if that first is unprotected

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
lol

seems like trading a problem for another  problem

might as well keep this problem we got..

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
I don't see the hype around Ed Davis. Quite honestly I tthink Tyler Zeller will be the better Tarheel product
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
I don't see the hype around Ed Davis. Quite honestly I tthink Tyler Zeller will be the better Tarheel product

Why not have both though? Davis complements Zeller and our other big men very nicely with his more defensive minded game.  He also played very well his last month in Toronto before getting shipped to Memphis and stuck behind Z-Bo and Gasol.  That's really the last time in his career that he got consistent playing time.  I think whoever ends up with Davis this offseason is going to be very happy.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:22 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
There is some information that you might not be aware of.

John Hollinger Rips Jeff Green

And considering he is the Memphis Grizzlies VP of Basketball Operations I doubt this trade happens.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Lets just trade them Rondo for crap and a bunch of unprotected first. memphis should for sure be a lottery team in 2-3 years.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:36 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
There is some information that you might not be aware of.

John Hollinger Rips Jeff Green

And considering he is the Memphis Grizzlies VP of Basketball Operations I doubt this trade happens.

Oof.  I didn't know that and agree that this makes the trade pretty unlikely.