Author Topic: To get Kevin Love the C's need to find a new "Ray Allen"  (Read 5852 times)

Re: To get Kevin Love the C's need to find a new "Ray Allen"
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Good points made by all. The window actually just closed on acquiring the present-day player who is most similar to what Ray Allen was in 2007 (perennial all-star, guard, 32 years old, creeping injury problems, generally considered to be a great player but nonetheless overpaid, former alpha who is now more of a complimentary player). I'm talking about Dwyane Wade.

The only other guy I can think of who fits 2007 Ray Allen's profile is Joe Johnson. In 2007 we made a trade that leveraged Wally Szczerbiack's giant salary and Seattle's youth movement. To re-create that today, we would need Brooklyn to hit reset.

Then we could trade Brooklyn our modern-day Szczerbiak (Gerald Wallace) and our modern-day lottery rookie (Marcus Smart) in order to acquire a couple of years of Joe Johnson at about $20M per. That probably doesn't sound like a very good deal to you! Before the Garnett trade, most of us felt that way about the Allen trade, too. You have to marvel at how well the pieces fit together (and at how freaking good Garnett was).

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Love gets traded, it will be towards the trade deadline if Minnesota continues to dwell in mediocrity. If they are play-off bound, there won't be a trade. Sometimes you have to take what Flip says at face value.  I think we need to move on from Love ideas, and just focus on our roster, and maybe other players who truly are available on a trade.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If Love gets traded, it will be towards the trade deadline if Minnesota continues to dwell in mediocrity. If they are play-off bound, there won't be a trade. Sometimes you have to take what Flip says at face value.  I think we need to move on from Love ideas, and just focus on our roster, and maybe other players who truly are available on a trade.

If he waits 'til the trade deadline, that eliminates all the mid- to lower-level teams that would have given up something for the chance to get Love for a whole year and convince him to stay.  It also eliminates those teams at the top who aren't going to mess up what they've got going for a possible half-season rental of Love.  That really shrinks the market and the potential return.

I actually hope Minny limps past the trade deadline still in the playoff race and then bombs or makes it as the 8th seed.  I don't think that will do a thing to convince Love to stay and next off season, Boston would have the cap room to get a Ray Allen type and still offer Love max money.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The Celtics already have a magnet player that Love wants to play with in Rondo. Love wants to play in Boston.

The Wolves just dont want to trade him for a platter of unknown picks and projects at this time.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

Good points made by all. The window actually just closed on acquiring the present-day player who is most similar to what Ray Allen was in 2007 (perennial all-star, guard, 32 years old, creeping injury problems, generally considered to be a great player but nonetheless overpaid, former alpha who is now more of a complimentary player). I'm talking about Dwyane Wade.

The only other guy I can think of who fits 2007 Ray Allen's profile is Joe Johnson. In 2007 we made a trade that leveraged Wally Szczerbiack's giant salary and Seattle's youth movement. To re-create that today, we would need Brooklyn to hit reset.

Then we could trade Brooklyn our modern-day Szczerbiak (Gerald Wallace) and our modern-day lottery rookie (Marcus Smart) in order to acquire a couple of years of Joe Johnson at about $20M per. That probably doesn't sound like a very good deal to you! Before the Garnett trade, most of us felt that way about the Allen trade, too. You have to marvel at how well the pieces fit together (and at how freaking good Garnett was).

Great post.  Totally agree.  I also thought of Brook Lopez as a possibility, but Joe Johnson is the best example of a modern-day Ray Allen that's out there.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
What about a s&t for Stephenson which involves West and fillers. We receive Love and Stephenson. Pacers receive Green and fillers(Martin/Budinger) and Wolves receive West, Olynyk/Sully and picks
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about a s&t for Stephenson which involves West and fillers. We receive Love and Stephenson. Pacers receive Green and fillers(Martin/Budinger) and Wolves receive West, Olynyk/Sully and picks
i dont think anyones dying to play with lance stephenson.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18

More than Jeff Green
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

More than Jeff Green

I don't think that would convince Minnesota, or Pacers. We would have to dump a massive amount of picks, and offer at least KO, Bass for cap relief, Bogans, and Green for sure. I mean a big 3 of Stephenson/Love/Rondo is a great team to start off with. I just don't think the Celtics are going to be able to get LS, besides why would the Pacers sign and trade him if they aren't getting anyone good enough in return? They would at least want Bradley/Smart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Great post.  Totally agree.  I also thought of Brook Lopez as a possibility, but Joe Johnson is the best example of a modern-day Ray Allen that's out there.

Let's give Ray a little more credit.  In the year prior to joining the C's Ray averaged 26.4 PPG!  Last season Johnson averaged 15.8 PPG.  Ray in 2007 had more pull for attracting other stars to play with him than Johnson in 2014 IMO.  I think a closer comparison is Wade of this year not in terms of style but caliber of play.  However I'm expecting a faster drop off in Wade 's play than Ray's in 2007.  I remember thinking Ray could age gracefully like Reggie Miller due to his shooting and a dedicated fitness nut.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I like this thread.

I also agree that Brooklyn could have our "Ray Allen" in either JJ or Brook Lopez.

Also, call me nuts, but I am not giving up on us returning to relevance through free agency.

The Celts could always get Kevin Love next year in free agency and then in 2016, though Durant is a pipe dream, you never know.

I am sure back in 2004/2005, Kevin Garnett was a pipe dream.

I do think however the next 2 years are going to be very important to Danny Ainge. Not saying he's been a bad GM because he hasn't.

However, I do think the clock is ticking like it is with all GMs.

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
we need to stop figuring out ways to recreate the 2007 offseason.  That chapters closed, and just because the new one thats being written doesnt look exactly the same, doesnt mean the result will be different in the long run.  Yes, long run.  the 2007 offseason happened in a blink of an eye and we won a title THAT season, it was an amazing blessing and still is, but in some ways its a curse as well because we dont have patience anymore

Greg

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 11:23:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
we need to stop figuring out ways to recreate the 2007 offseason.  That chapters closed, and just because the new one thats being written doesnt look exactly the same, doesnt mean the result will be different in the long run.  Yes, long run.  the 2007 offseason happened in a blink of an eye and we won a title THAT season, it was an amazing blessing and still is, but in some ways its a curse as well because we dont have patience anymore

Hey, as long as there's still an opportunity to get Love! Hope remains!  :)

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 11:26:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Very true.

The question itself is something I've pondered about too. Who could be our next Ray Allen, but there doesn't seem to be that many. I think a great 3 point shooter that can at least drive inside, and is nearing the end of his prime can resemble Allen, as his defense/ability to finish inside has slowed down. Affalo could've been our Allen, but its a testament to how great Pierce/KG was too. Allen is a great player, but compared to Pierce/KG, I think he was the least important of the 3.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
That player doesnt exist.