Author Topic: Trade Idea: Houston/Celtics - Rondo and Green/Stephenson and Jones  (Read 3626 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Houston has cap space burning a hole in its pocket, and they want to go after Rondo. What if they would pick up Stephenson (10M per) and swap him to us with Jones for Rondo and a 2017 pick?

We could further make a "wink/wink" side deal that the Rondo deal is contingent on them absorbing Green for a trade exception and a further pick (protected or 2nd or NO's pick from Asik deal), which would help mitigate them losing Jones.

That would give Houston a lineup of: Rondo, Harden, Ariza, Green, and Howard while basically only losing Jones and two picks for Rondo and Green.

We'd then have a lineup of: Smart, Bradley, Stephenson, Olynyk, and Zeller with Pressey, Thornton, Young, Wallace, Jones, Bass, Sully and Fav backing them up. (Some of our many PFs would have to be traded to clear the logjam) That's an exciting young defensive core. Imagine adding a Gasol type to the front court next year! It also gets us out of Green's contract next year, which is basically replaced by Stephenson's contract. This trade gives us more flexibility, a good young piece to replace Rondo, and two extra picks (Green's may be heavily protected or a 2nd rounder).

You could also switch Jones for Capela, which would give us another nice prospect. However, this avenue would lessen their need for Green as a stretch four.

Who says no?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:10:11 PM by jpotter33 »

Re: Trade Idea: Houston/Celtics - Rondo and Green/Stephenson and Jones
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Houston has cap space burning a hole in its pocket, and they want to go after Rondo. What if they would pick up Stephenson (10M per) and swap him to us with Jones for Rondo and a 2017 pick?

We could further make a "wink/wink" side deal that the Rondo deal is contingent on them absorbing Green for a trade exception and a further pick (protected or 2nd), which would help mitigate them losing Jones.

That would give Houston a lineup of: Rondo, Harden, Ariza, Green, and Howard while basically only losing Jones and two picks for Rondo and Green.

We'd then have a lineup of: Smart, Bradley, Stephenson, Olynyk, Jones and Zeller with Pressey, Thornton, Young, Wallace, Jones,Olynyk, Bass, Sully and Fav backing them up. (Some of our many PFs would have to be traded to clear the logjam) That's an exciting young defensive core. Imagine adding a Gasol type to the front court next year! It also gets us out of Green's contract next year, which is basically replaced by Stephenson's contract. This trade gives us more flexibility, a good young piece to replace Rondo, and two extra picks (Green's may be heavily protected or a 2nd rounder).

Who says no?

I say yes yes yes!!! Hahaha. Only difference I'd make is Jones starting over Olynyk. We'd be extremely athletic and tough for teams to cover positionally
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Fans of frontcourt play.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it seems whenever there is a rumor with team X wanting Rondo, everyone is quick to jump on making ideas to get rid of him and most of them has us receiving scrubs/nut jobs and possibly a late 1st rounder back

Everyone seems to want to part ways with Rondo ASAP. Lance Stephenson is a great player, but his maturity is definitely an issue with me. He just seems stat hungry, doesn't seem to put team first and loves to clown around. If he matures a bit, then sure, that's a trade I would consider, but if not, I rather stay away from him.

I also rather be patient and see what this upcoming season will show in Rondo and co

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I think it's actually pretty plausible, too. Houston's struck out on everything else this summer, so what are two picks (one protected) for a star in Rondo?

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
it seems whenever there is a rumor with team X wanting Rondo, everyone is quick to jump on making ideas to get rid of him and most of them has us receiving scrubs/nut jobs and possibly a late 1st rounder back

Everyone seems to want to part ways with Rondo ASAP. Lance Stephenson is a great player, but his maturity is definitely an issue with me. He just seems stat hungry, doesn't seem to put team first and loves to clown around. If he matures a bit, then sure, that's a trade I would consider, but if not, I rather stay away from him.

I also rather be patient and see what this upcoming season will show in Rondo and co

Weren't people saying the exact same thing about Rondo a year ago before the big trade? Maybe the change of scenery helps Stephenson mature a bit; the trade sure helped Rondo.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Weren't people saying the exact same thing about Rondo a year ago before the big trade? Maybe the change of scenery helps Stephenson mature a bit; the trade sure helped Rondo.

while that is true, I think Rondo will help Houston a lot and will make some serious noise in the West int he playoffs. But they would seem to want Rondo than us trying to rebuild quickly. We are not in a hurry, so I rather sell high even if Rondo isn't worth much

what's it going to hurt? We're rebuilding and aren't sniffing playoffs or even contending in the near future. So let's try to rob them

Lance Stephenson/Jones and a first rounder seems fair, but I rather wait and see other offers on the table...either drag this onto trade deadline or even next offseason

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
You can't trade someone else's free agent (Stephenson).

You'd have to structure the deal as a three team deal, with Indiana receiving something for Stephenson from either/both Houston and Boston.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I thought you could only sign-and-trade your own players... you couldn't use your cap space to sign another team's player and then trade him.

Also... how does that work with a restricted free agent like Stephensen?  Can you sign a restricted free agent and then trade him when the other team doesn't match?  I didn't think that could happen... or do you mean that Dallas could trade Chandler Parsons right now in a package deal for Kevin Love?

Pretty sure that's not possible.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I thought you could only sign-and-trade your own players... you couldn't use your cap space to sign another team's player and then trade him.

Also... how does that work with a restricted free agent like Stephensen?  Can you sign a restricted free agent and then trade him when the other team doesn't match?  I didn't think that could happen... or do you mean that Dallas could trade Chandler Parsons right now in a package deal for Kevin Love?

Pretty sure that's not possible.

You can only sign and trade a player if they haven't signed an offer sheet (that's why the Mavs were looking for a sign and trade for Parsons before submitting the offer sheet, and why submitting it signaled the end of sign and trade talks)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Wait, isn't Lance an unrestricted free agent?  HoopsHype lists him as unrestricted.

Also, I thought this would work as long as Lance agreed to it.  Houston would sign him under the condition that he was being traded shortly after to Boston.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Wait, isn't Lance an unrestricted free agent?  HoopsHype lists him as unrestricted.

Also, I thought this would work as long as Lance agreed to it.  Houston would sign him under the condition that he was being traded shortly after to Boston.

Free agent signees cannot be traded until Dec 15 (or in some cases, Jan 15) after the summer they were signed.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Crap.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think you're right about Lance being unrestricted.

However, it wouldn't work, consent or not.  The CBA does not allow signing and trading another team's free agents.

The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008)
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58:36 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Lance is a free agent.  He's going to go to whatever team he wants.  He's not coming here.