Author Topic: Celtics (and Minny) reportedly interested in Evan Turner  (Read 15538 times)

Re: Celtics (and Minny) reportedly interested in Evan Turner
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline LEHGOCELTICS

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Anyone that watched a single Pacers game post-ET trade will know this guy is a net detriment to the team.

all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo all in for r rondo

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ok What am I missing on him?  Celtic's roster aside, wh6yt are people hating on Evan?  He got better in each of his seasons in Philly.  He went for 13/6/4 two years ago and 17/6/3.7 this year in Philly.  His percentages aren't great but they are not awful.

Turner is one of my least favorite players in the league. I hate his game and I don't think he is very talented.

The only way I would somewhat accept him being in Celtic green is with a 1 year vet minimum deal. Other than that don't let the door hit you on the way out of your interview Mr. Turner.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
He can't shoot, he can't defend, and his turnover rate is almost twice the league average.

He is not a good basketball player. That said, he is young and it isn't impossible that he could become a serviceable rotation piece on the right team. If our goal is to tank another season, I wouldn't terribly object to signing him to cheap, short-term money and make him prove he can make a mini-leap (at least up to the league average).

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Ok What am I missing on him?  Celtic's roster aside, wh6yt are people hating on Evan?  He got better in each of his seasons in Philly.  He went for 13/6/4 two years ago and 17/6/3.7 this year in Philly.  His percentages aren't great but they are not awful.

I agree.  I'd like to see him on the team.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lol only reason we'd want this bum is to flip him into a Kevin love package.

Pretty much.

But he is very athletic, so still has potential with good coaching.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I. Hope NOT to keep ....trade to Minn ..yes

No thanks

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is exactly the type of player the C's should be trying to sign.  Young, undervalued, still with top level talent.  I wish he was a better shooter, but there is still a ton of talent there.  He can handle the ball, pass it, get to the basket, and he is a tenacious, although not great defender.  More than anything though, he is hyper competitive and a leader on the floor.

Turner actually has a lot of the same characteristics that stand out in Smart.  Super tough and competitive guy (sometimes to a fault), who will do whatever you ask of him on the court...but he wants to be on the court. 

Offensively, in some ways he fits in well if they are going to trade Rondo, because he can share ball handling responsibilities with Smart from the SF spot.  Unfortunately, his lack of shooting prevents him from being a perfect fit, but that could still improve.

I think the biggest problem with Turner so far is that he has the skillset of a guy who needs the ball in his hands.  While he can do the little things (rebound, defend, pass), he is not a good enough shooter to play off the ball.  But he also is not a good enough scorer or passer to play on the ball full time (very similar to Igoudala).  So, he is kind of stuck in no-mans land.  This is the biggest problem with him in Indiana.  He is not good enough to take the ball out of George's or Stevenson's hands, but he also is not a good enough shooter to spread the floor from them.  So, he basically became useless.

If you can bring him in on a cheap contract, really get him to put up a ton of shots a day (just like Smart), and then basically let him and Smart go to work and develop next year, this could be a great chance to build value quickly.  And I really don't think it will hurt to have another ultra-competitive guy in the lockerroom. 

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Turner is one of my least favorite players in the league. I hate his game and I don't think he is very talented.

The only way I would somewhat accept him being in Celtic green is with a 1 year vet minimum deal. Other than that don't let the door hit you on the way out of your interview Mr. Turner.

Agreed.  I can't stand this guy as a basketball player.  He is a stiff, plain and simple.

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the biggest problem with Turner so far is that he has the skillset of a guy who needs the ball in his hands.  While he can do the little things (rebound, defend, pass), he is not a good enough shooter to play off the ball.  But he also is not a good enough scorer or passer to play on the ball full time (very similar to Igoudala).  So, he is kind of stuck in no-mans land.  This is the biggest problem with him in Indiana.  He is not good enough to take the ball out of George's or Stevenson's hands, but he also is not a good enough shooter to spread the floor from them.  So, he basically became useless.

That sounds like a player who is problematic on any team, not just Indiana.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

That sounds like a player who is problematic on any team, not just Indiana.

He is a guy who can gain value on a team that can give him the ball.  And he also has room to improve.  If he was picked 12th, and was given time to develop his shot, then he would be looked at very differently.  But he was the #2 pick, and is therefore expected to be a star, and early in his career.

Let's also remember that he was productive in Philly.  They traded him, because they knew he wasn't worth the massive qualifying offer, but if you can get him at a lesser number, he is a nice investment.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
the fact that minnesota is also interested makes me think Ainge is trying to think of flipping Turner to Minnesota. sell them a package of something like:

Turner/olynyk/sullinger Celtics 2015 first, Brooklyn pick

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
the fact that minnesota is also interested makes me think Ainge is trying to think of flipping Turner to Minnesota. sell them a package of something like:

LOL at Turner tipping the scales in any trade or enticing anybody. I wish they were this dumb but doubt it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm not a big fan but if you could get him for cheap he could be an asset.  He's maturing and if he gets time he should put up some numbers.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

LOL at Turner tipping the scales in any trade or enticing anybody. I wish they were this dumb but doubt it.

I agree, but ......

The C's could flip Smart and Young to a 3rd team along with picks(if necessary) and get a more proven player to Minny .

Minny would end up with

Parson level player we get from Smart and Young
Turner
KO or Sully
C's 2015 pick
Brk 2016 pick

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This is what is not understood from Minnesota's perspective. They have plenty of cap room next year, but  nothing roster wise (and cap room without a roster is not really as desirable a position to be in).

If a young Evan Turner can be had, at a discount because seemingly the market is not hot for him right now, then Minnesota would want him no doubt.

You also have to remember though that any deal involving Kevin Love would require an absorption of Kevin Martin's contact, so essentially you'd be replacing Kevin Martins contract with that of Evan Turner.

It's a no-brainer from Minnesota's standpoint... and by this I mean the high interest in Evan Turner. A solid pick-up for a team without a roster next year.