Author Topic: Brook Lopez  (Read 3682 times)

Re: Brook Lopez
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think this is the wrong stage in Boston's development for a Brook Lopez. You don't build around a Brook Lopez. You bring him in when the other star players are already in place and Lopez fits in well with them. Brook Lopez is the final piece of a puzzle. A 3rd option.

Too flawed & expensive a center to build your team around. Limits a team's options in roster building personnel wise because his team is always compensating for his flaws (and strengths) while dealing with that large contract of his. Very difficult to do. Too difficult. Not worth doing.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Yes, I have some interest. I prefer his brother, but B. Lopez could probably be gotten at a discount because of the recent injuries. I think it is likely that Green is gone next year (he'll opt out), so I'm totally open to the idea of trading him before the Feb trade deadline for whatever we can get.

Kind of funnny how complementary the Lopez' would be as a pair.

They certainly were while at Stanford. I saw them play together against Cal. Ryan Anderson looked ok in that game, IIRC, but it was those two brothers who really stood out.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think this is the wrong stage in Boston's development for a Brook Lopez. You don't build around a Brook Lopez. You bring him in when the other star players are already in place and Lopez fits in well with them. Brook Lopez is the final piece of a puzzle. A 3rd option.

Too flawed & expensive a center to build your team around. Limits a team's options in roster building personnel wise because his team is always compensating for his flaws (and strengths) while dealing with that large contract of his. Very difficult to do. Too difficult. Not worth doing.

I view it the other way. It is a buy low type situation, and you hope that he returns to health and can help the team or packaged for someone better.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I view it the other way. It is a buy low type situation, and you hope that he returns to health and can help the team or packaged for someone better.

His contract also has a player option for the season after next.

I'd take him for "free" (cap space, expirings mostly), I think. His injuries terrify me.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am curious what the forum thinks about trying to make a trade to acquire Brook Lopez.  We saw that the Nets made some improvements last year when Lopez went down and they went small, moving KG to center (similar to what we saw in Boston).
You mean like how we played better when Rondo got injured? Maybe we should trade Rondo for Lopez since both teams play better without those guys if we follow your logic.

The Nets aren't going to trade Lopez to 'get better'. Why would they trade the only guy that gives them any hope of being decent 2 years from now? KG is at the end, so no team is going to move starters based on his contribution. It also doesn't look like Brooklyn is all-in this season.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Guava, if you look at where Brooklyn is in their cycle, they have no future.  They have given up their picks and have large contracts on their books.  Their team is built to win now, only because they have no other alternative (even though they are too flawed to win now).

If trading Lopez gives them a better chance to win now, they should consider it.  If we feel that Rondo is a building block for the future, we should keep him.  If we do not think he is a part of the Celtics future, we should trade him.  I think you missed my logic in the OP.

If Brooklyn is not all in this season, they need to evaluate whether or not Lopez is a building block for the future.  If he is, my suggestion is moot.  If not, I think the trade makes a lot of sense.  Get Brooklyn some youth and a pick or 2 back in their arsenal.

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Lopez might be the best low post scoring center in the entire NBA, with Pau Gasol on the decline.

If you can get him cheap while his value is low/unknown, i would do it. Then see just how good/bad his defense is when he is surrounded by good defenders on the perimeter. If you buy low you don't have much to lose.

If he costs good picks, then i stay away. See how he does next year ( like other teams are doing with Rondo) and decide if he is worth targeting in free agency.

Ideally we want a rim protecting defensive stud to start at center. A lot of teams want those. There are only about 8 of them in the whole NBA, with another 6 or 7 with the potential to play excellent defense. Teams aren't going to give them up easily.

That means the other half of the NBA are going to have to do something else at center.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd take my chances with Greg Ogden

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Given the size of their respective contracts, Zeller gives you a lot more value. 

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Guava, if you look at where Brooklyn is in their cycle, they have no future.  They have given up their picks and have large contracts on their books.  Their team is built to win now, only because they have no other alternative (even though they are too flawed to win now).

If trading Lopez gives them a better chance to win now, they should consider it.  If we feel that Rondo is a building block for the future, we should keep him.  If we do not think he is a part of the Celtics future, we should trade him.  I think you missed my logic in the OP.

If Brooklyn is not all in this season, they need to evaluate whether or not Lopez is a building block for the future.  If he is, my suggestion is moot.  If not, I think the trade makes a lot of sense.  Get Brooklyn some youth and a pick or 2 back in their arsenal.

The Nets have reportedly privately acknowledged that they will not win a title as currently constructed; the fact that they allowed Pierce to walk and are eyeing deals that restock their coffers while lowering their luxury tax hit only further supports this.

They'll have a boatload of cap space come 2016, which is now what they're planning towards. 

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
While it is true that Brook is a bad rebounder, he isn't quite as one-dimensional as people seem to think. He's actually a pretty good defender (he blocks shots at an above average rate and commits fouls at a below average rate, key hallmarks of good defense; the past two seasons his defensive rating and defensive win shares have also been above average). Not an elite defender, but certainly a capable one.

He's not a terribly good passer, but he has great hands, and almost never turns the ball over. For a player that gets as many touches as he does (27% usage rate this past season), having a single digit turnover rate is a lot more valuable than you might think. He doesn't let himself get stripped, he protects the ball, and making safe passes.

Further, he is a monster on offense (and, in fact, for all his rebounding woes on defense, actually puts up above average offensive rebounding numbers). His TS% last season was a monster 62.9 despite not having a 3 point shot to bump his efficiency up. He scored a ridiculous 1.54 PPS and got to the line at a rate more than twice the league average, where he converted free throws at an 81.7% rate. Fun fact: Lebron's TS% was 64.9 and also made 1.54 PPS this past season.

That said, Brook is not a star. He is an above average starter that couples incredibly efficient offensive play with decent defensive play. Due to the fact that he isn't a good rebounder or passer, he needs the right system around him to work. I don't know if the Celtics are that system necessarily (and this is without even getting into injury related talk), but in general Brook is a good piece for a team that wants to contend.