Author Topic: Who's left in the Kevin Love sweepstakes?  (Read 9982 times)

Re: Who's left in the Kevin Love sweepstakes?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I believe patience will end up working in Danny's favor.  It's a waiting game.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
who/what do they have that we would want?

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if anyone thinks Love is going anywhere but Cleveland now is fooling themselves. Lebron signing for 2 yrs.(which is actually 1 yr.) means the cavs need to win now, not in yrs. to come. Lebron can sit here and tell everyone he wants to mentor wiggins and throw all the fluff at everyone so he continues to look like the hero he's supposed to be but his contract is what everyone should be listening to.

the Cavs have no choice but to give in. Wiggins for Love is a formality.

He signed that deal because of the TV contract - he can opt out and redo a max deal once the new TV deal is established.  It's a good deal for him.  He is pretty tone deaf but for him to write that letter and then leave after one year is crazy....

I understand that. but we'll see how committed he is if this team remains as is through next yr.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bennett is a raw prospect that had off season surgery and wasn't able to get into shape last season.  He was then labeled a bust and had a ton of adverse media attention which didn't help his growth last year. 

That said, Bennett actually showed some real signs of promise last year.  His late January/early February stretch last year was actually not that bad.  Not #1 pick good, but not nearly as bad as people make it seem. 

Bennett looks to be in pretty good shape this summer.  I would expect to him to be a useful rotation player on a real contender, which isn't bad for a player as raw as him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I think that's pretty grossly overvaluing Waiters and especially Bennett. Bennett hasn't really shown anything.
Bennett looks fantastic in summer league.  He's in far better shape and showing real skill.

Summer League? Really?! Well then I guess Kelly Olynyk would suffice as a great trading piece then.......

If we're going by summer league then Brandon Hunter, Kedrick Brown, and Marcus Banks must be multiple time all-stars and first team NBA'ers, right?

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 11:45:55 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
either Cleveland or  golden state will cave and give up wiggins or thompson.    the celtics just don't have anything the wolves want.   

i think its funny how everyone is saying flip saunders doesnt' know what he's doing,   to me he's playing it exactly right.   the price seems to keep going up and he's going to end up with much more than that silly celtics offer of k.o and a couple firsts.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I think that's pretty grossly overvaluing Waiters and especially Bennett. Bennett hasn't really shown anything.
Good luck selling a Love for Bennett swap to your fan base if you're Minn.  Part of the problem the TW's have is the marketing aspect.  Love has basically told them that inept management is forcing him to leave.  Now you compound that with something like this? 

Wondering whether PR/Marketing wise, Flip doesn't feel he's better off keeping Love and so he can say - we committed to him, he wouldn't commit to us....?

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
He was taken #1 for a reason.  His rookie season was awful... but he's starting to show why he was taken #1.

Don't try to rewrite history, here. You are acting as if Bennett were a consensus #1 pick. He was projected to go no higher than #8, if I recall correctly. The Cavs taking him #1 was an incredibly surprising decision that was panned by most commentators almost the instant it happened.

It's disingenuous to use Bennett's draft position as if it were some indicator of future performance when, by all informed accounts, there was no good reason for him to be taken at that spot in the first place. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to become a good player, only that waiving your hands around and making vague statements about him being a #1 pick is about as useful as saying Rondo is overpaid because he was drafted 21st overall and players drafted that low shouldn't get paid that much. It's not a meaningful way of projecting or describing performance when we are talking about players that were likely drafted at the wrong spot (i.e. too high for Bennett, too low for Rondo). 

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't try to rewrite history, here. You are acting as if Bennett were a consensus #1 pick.
He was? Where exactly? Can you kindly point us to the passage, because I'm not seeing anything remotely close to it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Warriors will cave

Trading away Wighind might prove to be trading away the next Kobe or LeBron .....

That would a catastrophic mistake of the decade ...should Wiggins pan out.....LeBron maybe finished as the best player a few years......Theycould have Wiggins for many years to come , some on the cheap.   I wouldn't trade Wiggins for Love.   

Warriors are the ones who should do the deL for Love .

That said.... Minn is starting over  ,  they are not getting equal talent for Love .....Klay is close as they are getting ......they might as well collect assets ....as the Celtics are doing and face the rebuild situation as it is.

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Don't try to rewrite history, here. You are acting as if Bennett were a consensus #1 pick.
He was? Where exactly? Can you kindly point us to the passage, because I'm not seeing anything remotely close to it.
Lol thanks.  The mocks didn't have Bennett #1...  That has nothing to do with my point that Bennett was taken #1 by the cavs for a reason.  He was seen as the player with arguably the highest ceiling.  A raw prospect with tools. And now he starting to show flashes of why the cavs took him 1st.

I'm sure the cavs realized there were players who could have made a bigger impact in year 1.  Similar to Orlando taking Gordon this year... Swinging for a home run with hopes these kids reach their ceiling in a few years.

If you want to blame someone for the cavs line of thinking last year, blame Andre Drummond.  In 2012 he was widely seen as the prospect with the highest ceiling (sans maybe Davis) if he "figured it out". He fell all the way to 10th, showed signs of life much earlier than expected, and 8 teams looked stupid.  2013 was a rough draft ... Instead of taking a kid with starter potential the cavs decided to go for the one who could maybe pan out into a star.  Granted, they should have traded down to take Bennett, but who knows... Maybe the team picking 2nd liked Bennett too.

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The only consensus was that the 2013 class was going to be servicable at best. Bennett was absolutely a surprise pick, and almost everyone had Oladipo or Noel, even after the injury, going #1, with McLemore and Ryan Lewis going in the top 5 -- Bennett wasn't even a blip on the radar.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
Maybe I'm strictly a homer here but with Wiggins off the board for Cavs and GS not giving up Thompson(Kerrs Fav) Ijust think Cs hhave most to offer. Best draft picks available. Some pretty good prospects in Sully or Olynyk. Plus all theexpiring contracts. I say throw in AB in a S&T and take on Kevin Martins contract
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Maybe I'm strictly a homer here but with Wiggins off the board for Cavs and GS not giving up Thompson(Kerrs Fav) Ijust think Cs hhave most to offer. Best draft picks available. Some pretty good prospects in Sully or Olynyk. Plus all theexpiring contracts. I say throw in AB in a S&T and take on Kevin Martins contract

Maybe, but I think Minnesota would rather make a go for the playoffs than trade for rebuilding pieces -- even if that means holding onto Love for the season and trying to essentially shame him into staying.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The only consensus was that the 2013 class was going to be servicable at best. Bennett was absolutely a surprise pick, and almost everyone had Oladipo or Noel, even after the injury, going #1, with McLemore and Ryan Lewis going in the top 5 -- Bennett wasn't even a blip on the radar.
http://www.nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft  They had Bennett going 10th with the Cavs taking Alex Len at #1.  This was basically the day of the draft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip