Author Topic: Who's left in the Kevin Love sweepstakes?  (Read 9961 times)

Who's left in the Kevin Love sweepstakes?
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:49 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
As the off-season presses on and with no moves for Kevin Love being made, potential suitors are starting to dwindle.  The Rockets now have lot's of cap room, but traded away most of their assets in the process.  The Bulls, it seems, have decided to go another direction as far as signing Pau.  I haven't heard anything more regarding the Warriors budging on Klay Thomson.  This leaves me the wonder who the remaining teams are in the Love sweepstakes.  The only teams I can really think of are:

Cavs: Wiggins, Bennett, 2 first round picks: This would obviously be the easiest trade and would best any offer Boston could make.  The word I've gotten from Cleveland, and from living in Ohio, the consensus amongst most of the Cavs fans I've talked to, is that they have no interest in trading Wiggins.  Some actually believe Waiters/Bennett and a few 1st rounders is enough to get it done which I see as crazy.

Celtics: KO, Green, Bass, 2015 LAC pick, 2015 PHI pick (most likely two second round picks)/ 2016 Nets 1st:  If Wiggins isn't a part of the deal I can't see who can make a better offer, aside from possibly the Suns but I doubt Love would sign an extension there so that would be a big road block there.

Other than that I don't see anyone(besides Flip Saunders' ego) that could present a better offer.  Of course it might not matter and they could ride out his contract and let him walk.  But is there another possible trade partner I'm not thinking of?

Re: Who's left in the Kevin Love sweepstakes?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:55 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Wiggins hasn't signed yet has he? Is Boston still making a run at Love?

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:43:05 AM »

Braedenks

The Cavaliers have told Andrew Wiggins that he isn't going to be in any trade for Kevin Love,  the only teams would be the Celtics and possibly the Warriors if they end up deciding to give up Klay Thompson which is very unlikely.

Any team could make a trade for Kevin Love so everyone is in the race.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:01 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
Yeah, any team could technically trade for Love, I was referring more to teams that have the proper assets to do so. My only fear with Cleveland is that for all the talk about not trading Wiggins, why have they not signed him yet?

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Wiggins won't sign until the Cavs are done trying to create cap room for free agents like Mike Miller and Ray Allen.  He will sign for the max allowed, which is 20% more than his cap hold.  Waiting to sign creates and extra $900k cap room for Cleveland -- that's the only reason for the delay.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:28 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard

Wiggins won't sign until the Cavs are done trying to create cap room for free agents like Mike Miller and Ray Allen.  He will sign for the max allowed, which is 20% more than his cap hold.  Waiting to sign creates and extra $900k cap room for Cleveland -- that's the only reason for the delay.

Ah, didn't think about that. Thanks

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:52:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Cavaliers have told Andrew Wiggins that he isn't going to be in any trade for Kevin Love,  the only teams would be the Celtics and possibly the Warriors if they end up deciding to give up Klay Thompson which is very unlikely.

Any team could make a trade for Kevin Love so everyone is in the race.

Honestly, if the Cavs offered Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett, and Tristan Thompson, the Wolves would be foolish not to accept.  There is no reason why the Cavs should have to give up Wiggins.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:56:33 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
I think that's pretty grossly overvaluing Waiters and especially Bennett. Bennett hasn't really shown anything.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:01:06 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Yeah the Celtics beat that offer easily.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think that's pretty grossly overvaluing Waiters and especially Bennett. Bennett hasn't really shown anything.
Bennett looks fantastic in summer league.  He's in far better shape and showing real skill.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 03:10:12 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
Bennett looks fantastic in summer league.  He's in far better shape and showing real skill.

I agree, but it's hard to put much stock in summer league. Especially when you are talking about dealing a superstar.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:13:34 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Summer League? Really?! Well then I guess Kelly Olynyk would suffice as a great trading piece then.......

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:20:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Summer League? Really?! Well then I guess Kelly Olynyk would suffice as a great trading piece then.......
Bennett has a higher ceiling. Not sure if he'll get there, but the kid has tools to be an all-star some day.  I think Kelly is what he is. 

Bennett was drafted for his potential.  A raw prospect with tools to be special.  Last year was rough.  He's starting to get it together.  I hope the Cavs keep him... it'll be fun to see him evolve with Bron as a mentor.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 03:22:41 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Bennett has a higher ceiling. Not sure if he'll get there, but the kid has tools to be an all-star some day.  I think Kelly is what he is.

Kelly can still improve on his game, he put in the work during the summer and it showed. Bennett on the other hand, I don't see all star potential I think he can be a high level role player at best.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:26:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Kelly can still improve on his game, he put in the work during the summer and it showed. Bennett on the other hand, I don't see all star potential I think he can be a high level role player at best.
Ok. 

Cavs have played two summer league games.  Wiggins looks solid, but the story has been Bennett.  We'll see what happens.  I watched him a bit last season as well and he looked pretty intriguing. 

Watch this video from February:  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10417145

He was taken #1 for a reason.  His rookie season was awful... but he's starting to show why he was taken #1.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:35:05 AM by LarBrd33 »