Author Topic: What's fair value in trade for Rondo and Green.  (Read 7902 times)

Re: What's fair value in trade for Rondo and Green.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
For Rondo I want two young guys with upside and a pick or two.

For Green I'd take a young player with upside or a good first

What young player could a team get for Green though. Evan Turner? Well he is here already. He is young and has upside.

Teams aren't going to give away budding major talents like Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker. Those are the only young upside small forwards i can think of that I would want for Green. No thanks to Kidd-Gilchrist or Harrsion Barns. That would be a downgrade or potentially more of the same.

We already have nice young talent at the 1 and 4. And frankly Jeff Green is not going to land us a petter young point than Marcus Smart or a better 4 than Jared Sullinger.

Shooting guard is more of the same as small forward. Waiters or McLemore would be another sideways or downgrade move.

And a team would have to be crazy to let a young center go, when center is the the most difficult and valuable position to fill. We would probably be looking at Tyler Zeller level young talent. We certainly are not getting Favors, Vucevic,   Noel etc for Green. Maybe a guy like Henson or Dieng is possible. but is that really a good move?

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think a couple prospects would be enough for Rondo.   Probably really young guys who aren't yet getting it done, but could theoretically become star-quality players some day.  Two of those guys so you can get a couple cracks at landing a real player.  Ben Mclemore + the #8 made sense at the time... could have taken someone like Marcus Smart at #8.  Maybe something like MKG+Vonleh from the Hornets.  Anthony Bennett + Dion Waiters if the Cavs didn't already have a superior PG.   Alex Len + Tyler Ennis from the Suns if they lose Bledsoe.   Something in that realm makes sense.

For Jeff Green, an expiring contract and a late 1st probably gets it done.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ben Mclemore + the #8 made sense at the time... could have taken someone like Marcus Smart at #8.

I would be scared of a SG that can't shoot like Ben,

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If the celtics decide they have to go young, i would trade rondo for a projected number 5 pick, and Green for a projected late lotto pick - say #12.

I dont see teams trading young players with a ceiling as high as Rondo and Green.

We might be looking at a platter of really raw talent, mid to late first round picks and decent bench players, mostly because teams will fear that these players could bolt for nothing.

Might as well keep holding those cards and try for a winning team jackpot. Worse case scenario you dive deeper in the tank either way.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
For Rondo, I'd want more than what Philly got for Jrue Holiday.  I'd want a young player with more star potential than Nerlens Noel and a draft pick that is likely to be more valuable than the #10 pick in 2014 draft, which is what New Orleans ended up sending to the 76ers (who traded it to the Magic).

Or something of equivalent value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Probably this

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m9owgdm

Or maybe OKC gives you this for Rondo and moves Westbrook to the 2.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l48kowt
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:54:33 PM by gpap »

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I care less about "fair" value, and more about getting potential blue chip pieces.  The last thing this team needs right now is more mediocre pieces, and you can build a lot of value with that.  But, if you can get one or two star potential pieces, then it begins to make more sense (even if it is relatively high risk potential).

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
For Rondo, I'd want more than what Philly got for Jrue Holiday.  I'd want a young player with more star potential than Nerlens Noel and a draft pick that is likely to be more valuable than the #10 pick in 2014 draft, which is what New Orleans ended up sending to the 76ers (who traded it to the Magic).

I think that package Philly got for J.Holiday would be a great return for Rondo ... but I really like Nerlens Noel so maybe that is the difference there. 

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Probably this

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m9owgdm

Or maybe OKC gives you this for Rondo and moves Westbrook to the 2.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l48kowt
Rather let Rondo walk in FA

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Funny, I'd take Noel and a 1st for him.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
My values

Rondo = young player with allstar ceiling ( ex Barnes, Henson), 2 protected 1st ( or 1 good unprotected), (or protected 1st and they take wallace)

Green = 1st round pick, sub prime role player ( or sizable TPE)

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The big difference between Rondo and Holiday: Holiday was locked up for 3 more years. Rondo only has one year and is looking to wait until UFA when he will likely demand a max deal. That totally changes his value.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The big difference between Rondo and Holiday: Holiday was locked up for 3 more years. Rondo only has one year and is looking to wait until UFA when he will likely demand a max deal. That totally changes his value.
Yep, I don't think anyone will be offering Ainge what Philly got for Holiday.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well if Love goes for Wiggins,  Bennett and more we can definitely assume and expect that Rondo's choice of waiting on UFA won't effect his value. Love after all wants out of Minnesota which greatly lowers Wolves chances of keeping him. Rondo just wants to be paid so C's don't have to trade him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:51:12 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The trade I would love to happen:

Rondo to Indiana for Hibbert
Hibbert to Cavs
Wiggins and pieces to Celtics

In this scenario Rondo nets us Wiggins.

Also Jeff Green:

Jeff Green to Minnesota

Brewer, Budinger,Lavine, and Dieng if we can swing it

This way Minny can keep Kevin Love.
Jeff is one of the better sf in the league. This is a contract year for him and if he plays well enough we could ship him to Minny and let them keep Kevin Love. We could also add Avery for Luc mbah Mute and JJ Barea, but then we would need Lavine and Dieng.

Rubio
Martin/ Avery
Green
Love
Pekovic

Boston Celtics prospects after trades

Marcus Smart
Zack Lavine/James Young
Andrew Wiggins/James Young
Kelly Olynyk
Dieng

Zack Lavine has been lighting it up in summer league. He is a possible superstar
Then after the draft we could at a Karl Towns Jr
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:56:25 PM by Future Celtics Owner »