Author Topic: What's fair value in trade for Rondo and Green.  (Read 7893 times)

What's fair value in trade for Rondo and Green.
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:09 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
So if Danny chooses the full blow up plan. What type of package would you be looking for.A dynamic talent like Nerlens Noel, multiple first rounders from a bad team, or multiple young players with upside. I'd love to know what we could get for both those guys.

Re: What's fair value in trade for Rondo and Green.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For Rondo I want a player that is young, already has or obviously will have multiple all-star appearances on his resume, doesn't want an absurd amount of money, plays defense like Rondo, and passes as well as Rondo, and can shoot a little.  Basically I want Rondo for Rondo.

For Green I'd take a punch in the face. Better one punch one time than being smacked in the face every time I turn on the TV and watch him, which is pretty much how I feel.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

TP EJA, you and I see eye to eye on Jeff that's for sure.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
no team wants jeff green.

-jackie macmullan.

we would have to give up picks for someone to take his contract.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
no team wants jeff green. Jeff Green is basically LeBron. 10 teams showing interest in moving lots of assets for Green.

-jackie macmullan. Multiple Sources

we would have to give up picks for someone to take his contract.

FTFY

Now we wait...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
For Rondo I want two young guys with upside and a pick or two.

For Green I'd take a young player with upside or a good first
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

if you were some other team and you had a young player with upside and a good first, would you trade it for Green?

Would you trade like James Young and a 15th pick for Green?

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10

if you were some other team and you had a young player with upside and a good first, would you trade it for Green?

If I were a team like Charlotte or Memphis who was trying to find a great energy guy/6th man for a playoff push, I would definitely give up a first for him. Not saying it will happen, but remember how much value Luol Deng got last year, Green could definitely grab a late first.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The odds of James young and a 15th pick being anywhere near as good as Green are awfully slim.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The odds of James young and a 15th pick being anywhere near as good as Green are awfully slim.
You just used the word "good" in relation to Jeff Green. That's weird.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76

You just used the word "good" in relation to Jeff Green. That's weird.

Career avg of 14.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.6 apg, .6 spg, .8 bpg = good...not great, but good
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »

Offline GreenShizzle27

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Dont want to start another JG discussion and it is always a question of perspective BUT:

In year 1 after his heart sugery - JG did a hack of a job against LBJ, Carmelo, had his strides in the playoffs

In year 2 - he played in all 82 games, teams prepared for him, and he did a decent job for the player he is , donīt want to sound like the angry JG fanboy but there arenīt to many guys who can carry a team by themselves and they cost a lot of money. Would you be more angry if we had joe johnson? or dwill? Will you still be angry if chandler parsons, gordon haywood turn out to be who they are good but not great players? The NBA isnīt build around one player superstar teams, or two superteams, you can either go the spurs way, or the miami way - but that means three superstars, and a great supporting cast.

How would you rank success/trade value - championships? playoffs?

Im not saying JG is the man, but he is a decent player at a decent maybe little to high price tag BUT look at the market? it seems as if top SF are around 15 mill - and JG has way more defensive upside then Parsons and Haywood. You put him on a the cavs, houston, wizards or any roster and you get a quality piece. Now, if you theoretically add Kevin Love you would have to give up so much that you still wouldnīt  be a contender straight away - you might be better, but you wont be great - even Love has Flaws - Defense , hasnīt played a meaningful playoff game. (Not comparing Kevin Love to JG but KLove is a max money player JG is not - talking value guys!)

So, before i stop, JG is not a superstar, but if he is your third best player at 9 mil, you doing alright.

The Cīs are in rebuild, as of now all top tear free agents choose to go somewhere else and thats allright. Besides LBJ there was and is now franchise altering player out there - not Haywood, not Gordon, not Stephenson...all those players KD, Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose, John Wall are locked up under contracts - contracts that they are worth it.

Same with Rondo, at the moment you wont get any better player for him - otherwise Aigne would have hit the button already. And thats the point, you want to get any worse then last year? For whom? Tanking wont work, as the past has shown.

Sorry for getting a little sidetracked but Aigne will not sell JG and Rondo under their value. Why should he do that? Have you seen A. Gordon, Exum, Payton, Wiggins in Summer League - they are raw talents but they need time. There is no indication that all of them have to be All Stars, they could. Is there any indication some of the will be as good as Rondo at some point? No

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:35:22 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The issue with the NBA is that the max salary caps mean superstars are all (if they stay healthy) effectively taking a discount from their true worth. Since there are not enough superstars to fit the 2-3 spots on every team, lots of second and third-tier stars are not necessarily "overpaid" compared to the league average but they ARE when compared to say a Duncan making 10-12 million or Lebron making 20.

That's why when someone says Green is "overpaid" what they really mean is why can't his salary slot, in addition with say Brandon Bass' go to a legit star who we can underpay. Contending teams are the ones getting great value with their deals. Wannabe contenders are just getting equal value.

I want to also note that any long term deal signed this year that extends past 2016 has been made with the increased revenue jump in mind. It's not really fair to compare those deals with the one Jeff Green signed two years ago. By the way, watch Green either take the option or sign a better one-year deal in order to be a free agent in 2016 when the salary cap jumps.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It is hard to gauge value without it being a team fit adjustment or a personal opinion. My best attempt is to just gauge the player overall so Rondo I consider a top 20 player and Green a solid starter.

First Green, usually a solid starter will net you a mid 1st round pick, two low 1st or a equal player at a different position. At 9.2 million and signed for two years he is a ok contract by current rates.

Examples; Green for the 16-21 pick,  Green for 26th and future low projected 1st, Green for Asik.

Rondo has the issue of contract and max demand for 2015 year. As a top 20 player you can argue he is a 14-17 million dollar player. Once you add in NBA over pay he is likely to be offered 16-19 million per season. Right now he is a one year bargain at 12.9 million. So overpaying a little more on next 5 years isn't as bad as far as play for pay over the total 6 years. His value would be a top 4-10 pick, young promising player on a rookie contract and cap relief. You could swap him for another all-star player at a different position as well but usually trades of that nature have one team getting a bad contract and the other a draft pick. Moving him for a plethora of role players plus picks wouldn't make sense as he is a low cost contract and team is loaded with those already. Going to be hard to land the right deal for both sides.

Rondo target trades I wouldn't mind.

PISTONS: Monroe(S&T), KCP and Jennings for Rondo and Wallace.
Trade breakdown is a border-line all-star, former top 10 pick, both with promise + salary match for top 20 player and a salary penalty.

KINGS: Williams, McLemore, Outlaw, Staukus for Rondo.
Breakdown Three former high picks still on rookie deals and have promise + salary filler for top 20 player.

JAZZ: Kanter, Burke, Burks for Rondo.
Three former high picks still on rookie deals and have shown some promise for top 20 player.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:10:17 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
For Rondo I want a player that is young, already has or obviously will have multiple all-star appearances on his resume, doesn't want an absurd amount of money, plays defense like Rondo, and passes as well as Rondo, and can shoot a little.  Basically I want Rondo for Rondo.

For Green I'd take a punch in the face. Better one punch one time than being smacked in the face every time I turn on the TV and watch him, which is pretty much how I feel.

Well out side the All star thing, you've pretty much described Smart, so no need to trade for him. :D

You want quite a bit for Rondo, if a team has a player like that already on hand, why trade him?

With Rondo's contract expiring, very few teams would give up what you wanted. They will low ball you because you don't have any leverage because he's gone at the end of the season. Look at Love, we could have had that easily, but because other teams jumped in the price went up, now Minny could get the #1 pick for him. So unless multiple teams want Rondo, the price wont be that high. Look at all the teams, and who they have for PG's. Most of them are good, close to Rondo, but for the fraction of the price, not including the max that Rondo will want next season.

Green's contract is looking really good right now. Quite a bit less than Parsons and Gordon. You can argue that it's because they are more consistent, but they are also paying 7 million more for just that and maybe a bit better rebounding. Scoring are the same, maybe better passing from Parsons and Gordon, but Greens defense is better over all.

Team like Detroit may pay up for Green were they really need his outside shooting, and the ability to move Smith to the 4.