Author Topic: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?  (Read 6696 times)

Re: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:05 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Awful offseason. Rondo is still with the team. As is other role players like Bass Green Bogans Vitor. Bradley whom can't stay healthy got an 8 million a year contract. We lost the coin flip that will haunt Celtics fans for decades, Exum is a once in a generation talent and Smart has no shot at being that franchise player just an okay 2 guard. The only move you have to give Danny credit for is the TPE trade. Zeller is a solid player, Thornton is someone the Celtics can waive before the season begins or trade. He'll add a few wins to the roster which is why he needs to go ASAP.

Interesting you can make that call on exum after watching summer league. Unless you live in AU?

Exum is pretty raw, so maybe his ceiling is a bit higher, but smart has much more potential than an "ok 2 guard". Once in a generation is pretty hyperbolic. You think hes the next Lebron or something?

I mean these two players were just drafted.

To answer the OP, while i like the moves so far, the roster is so unbalanced, i really am hoping that Danny can clear the guard and pf logjams and turn in some more assets in the process.

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
The draft was a bit of a disappointment to me.

Best case scenario for me was a trade up for a player with more potential, or trade down for more picks. When that could not happern, Smart was the best player available at 6 and I am OK with that, but not excited.

The Young pick is the one I hate. I smell a huge bust, but I hope I am wrong.

The trade season afterwards was OK. No big splashes, reasonable AB contract IMO and a great Zeller trade.

As a result, the roster is less imbalanced than last year, with better bench. Still not competitive, lacks major talent.

On the other hand, the kids are still here, we added another, we have a healthy Rondo for the moment and the season could be more fun that the previous.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I guarantee Ainge is not done trading yet. he still has bogans contract, a TE from the courtney lee trade etc.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
oddly enough with all the kevin love (who i really wanted) , carmelo and draft pick talk we sort of stayed focused and smart
don't do a trade for the sake of a trade if you are giving up too much
I am pretty sure ainge will still be packaging some guys during season
Zeller trade or gift is A+ deal!  That is going to be the best off season move.  I like the smart pick, nice background thought for AB.  Tony Allen defense but not the mistakes.  He'll give us quality minutes right away at either guard spot.  I would have liked to see the pf spot "cleaned up"  One of bass, ko or sully should have been traded for upgrade at another position.  KO can give us center minutes with fav and zeller.  I just don't see enough minutes at pf position for all three guys.
also this is not the standard off season, lebron and carmelo and love being dangled
I for one don't want ainge signing caron butler etc for $$.  So if nothing happens we start the season with a young nucleus, solid vet play and a mass amount of future draft picks.
pg-rondo, smart
sg-bradley, smart
sf, green, wallace
pf-sully, bass
c-zeller, ko, fav

One thing that stands out is we are going to have a good defensive team if everyone buys into it.  Rondo back closer to 100% he'll make everyone look better

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No.  Status quo is basically what happened and that is not what I would have liked to have seen.  Ainge needed to go all in or rebuild.  Not this lets just ride it out one more year nonsense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No. This offseason sucks.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think it's good to keep your pieces and work with them till the right deal comes along, but I'm not sure how much effort was put into helping this team improve for this year.  If the goal is to keep Rondo and give him near max next year, who else are you gonna bea ble to bring in.  And if we're just not gonna sign him then why not trade for some younger pieces.  I really thought bass, green, rondo would have been moved by now for guys like Parson, Greg monroe, Sanders, etc to help get us younger and better.  I'm fine with waiting another year, but I dont like thinking we have a shot at some of these free agents like Gasol, Durnat, etc.  THese are established stars on their teams and arent goin anywhere so then we're right back to the same thing next year.

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 08:43:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No, not really. I wanted to see more progress. I wanted to see someone like Asik come in and solve center situation even if Ainge failed to acquire star talent. Someone who could solve the center position and provide the necessary interior defense. Allow everyone else to move back into their natural positions and most effective games.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This offseason sucks. I fully expected we'll get Chris Paul, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, and Kevin Durant, and convince Michael Jordan to come out of retirement for one last run...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
crappy offseason, but I'm sure Ainge did everything he could.  Tank again and try next offseason.

Agree.

I am not satisfied until our entire roster is SG.  (voice dripping with sarcasm)

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
also we have to keep in mind with regards to our off season the nets coming implosion is a bonus! pierce is gone, kg? deron williams continues to show he's a headache (anyone really think jerry sloan was wrong?)

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Yes I am satisfied.  We added a future draft pick, picked up two promising rookies w potential, added a serviceable young center who can run the floor, and a bench scorer on an expiring.  We also kept our defensive stalwart who has improved offensively every year.

Our only home run possibility seemed to be Kevin love and he has not been traded and still on course to remain a FA in 2015.

We may have only taken baby steps but we didn't have much opportunity to do anything more significant (though the offseason is far from over).

I am thinking 2015 was always the play with a hope that something could be done on 2014.

Also for all the trade rondo faction, rondos trade value will be at his highest mid this year fully healthy and helping guys like zeller and sully and Kelly getting easy buckets. We can still deal him until feb.

Best bet seems to be seeing if rondo can recruit some other fas in 2015, perhaps land a top rookie center if we don't make playoffs, and then go for fa.  If we can't land fa?  Well we will never have more assets than the 2016 season with 3 more rookies and potential two lottery picks between us and the nets which we could deal.

We can also always play facilitator to help rondo get to a contender who is over the cap if rondo wants to leave...and fleece that team.

We basically collected a few assets, maintained flexibility and didn't lose anything of value. 

I am satisfied yes. If you aren't your expectations were probably too high.

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think my excitement for this off-season would've been low without the "fireworks" claim by Wyc.

Because I felt before that statement it was going to take a while, which i'm ok with. as much as I hated the drought before the '08 championship, the payoff was all the more sweeter and really made you appreciate winning a championship.

But just looking at the overall landscape of the league it seems the C's will have no choice but to build through the draft. there really aren't any sellers and those that are selling - aren't really offering anything that you want to build around, and any team(like Minn.) selling anything worth anything are asking too much(apparently). And this doesn't go for just this season, it seems most players worth anything will ultimately re-sign with their current team or go to a team already lined up to win.

which imo is making our numerous draft picks(our best asset) less attractive. we're going to have to endure a growth process and draft our next star(s) and maybe use some of those numerous draft picks to trade for some quality role players instead. we can't use 'em all

a team like Minn. should have valued draft picks over anything else, because that's really their only option is to build through the draft. they should have valued our picks over other offers. but they don't because of their delusions of grandeur.

so if a team like Minn. doesn't value our best asset, who will?