Author Topic: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?  (Read 6706 times)

Re: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think we've done better than expected between the draft and free-agency (and retaining appropriate free agents on good deals [not overpaid as many of you here are so fond of exclaiming]), not as well as I hoped (yet).

But I like our roster.

But we have a incredibly mis matched roster?

It's better than last year's.  We've swapped out a power forward for a center, and hopefully upgraded our guard and wing spots.  We've still got one too many power forwards, and it would be nice to have a defense-oriented center.  But last year our only true center was Fav, and now we've got two.  Heck, even Thornton, whom we were compensated for taking, fills the role of offense off the bench that was missing.

I agree it's better than last years, maybe I just expected too much of Ainge. The moves he made were easy moves that didn't acquire a ton of thought. I'd like to see Ainge make a decision with some substance, I'd rather not get stuck in limbo because he can't make a decision on the direction of the team.

That assumes there was some opportunity he waffled on.  Perhaps there was the Love deal, but it's not gone and the Wolves seem not wiling to send him to Boston currently.  With the exception of Bazemore, every free agent the Celtics called signed for more than the C's could offer.  Not sure what he was supposed to do.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 01:11:52 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
All Ainge had to do this offseason was get a legitimate center.  He did that while also adding another #1 and another tradeable veteran player for practically nothing.  Boston has the picks and the expiring contracts to trade for a max player and another $10 mil a year player this coming season or the cap space to resign Rondo and add a max player next offseason.  And between the Clips, the Cavs and the Nets, we could add 1 or more lottery picks to the team in the next 4 years.

I'm pretty happy with how it's worked out.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 01:26:41 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd give it a mild thumbs up.  Liked the picks, like the Zeller trade.  Would like to see Rondo and Green moved for some expiring deals, picks, and rookie contract players.

I'll also guarantee that we are not done making moves this off-season.

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm very happy with the offseason except for Bradley's contract...big mistake.

Big bargain you mean, or haven't you seen the current free-agency market?

I would of let Bradley walk....too small and too fragile.

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 01:35:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Big bargain you mean, or haven't you seen the current free-agency market?

I would of let Bradley walk....too small and too fragile.

"Too small" -> overstated

"Too fragile" -> an hyperbole.

None concern me at all at this point

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 02:15:45 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Overall i think a trimming of the excess bodies at the SF and PF positions would have been nice. Bass, Wallace, Joel Anthony - they should have been cauterized from the roster to facilitate the transition to the younger generation.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:57 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Overall i think a trimming of the excess bodies at the SF and PF positions would have been nice. Bass, Wallace, Joel Anthony - they should have been cauterized from the roster to facilitate the transition to the younger generation.

There's not much excess at small forward.  We have Green and Wallace.  Young can resemble one in smaller lineups, but he's not ready for primetime yet.  Patience will be needed for him.  Besides, Wallace would cost two first rounders to get rid of.  His contract is worse than Jarret Jack, who cost a 2012 1st, 2013 1st, and a future first.  Best to keep him for now, and move on when there's an actual alternative worth having, and the cost to end the relationship is lower.

If Anthony is taking any meaningful minutes from our power forwards, then our young PFs aren't as good as we hoped.

The only one is Bass, and it seems at least one team turned down an offer to take him on a salary dump (Golden State).  Ainge is right not paying to get rid of him -- that sets your future markets lower.

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 03:14:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
crappy offseason, but I'm sure Ainge did everything he could.  Tank again and try next offseason.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:45:46 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 03:55:33 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
crappy offseason, but I'm sure Ainge did everything he could.  Tank again and try next offseason.

How was it bad?

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 04:08:03 AM »

fitzhickey

How was it bad?
Don't rise Rondo9

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 04:14:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

How was it bad?
We went from a 20-35 win team to a 21-36 win team.

It's been a dud offseason.  Ainge tried hard to land impact players... Kevin Love most notably.  We struck out.   

We'll tank again and try our luck next summer.  I don't blame Ainge.  Only so much you can do.  He's a quality GM.  Kudos to him on landing a couple marginal assets for nothing with that TPE exception, but it's not what they had hoped out of this offseason.  Marcus Smart should be a nice asset.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:33:30 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 04:32:22 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think it's all going well so far.

Realistically we were not gonna pick up a big time FA (still didn't stop us all hoping it would happen), but we did well with our draft picks, and have developed a pretty solid backcourt rotation.
The only thing really left to do is to make something of the Bogans contract, and sign a vet FA center to a short term deal.
Unfortunately we are gonna be stuck with GW, BB and JA through the offseason, but i'd like to think Danny will make use of of them all by the trade deadline.

Overall i'm happy

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
so far....Nothing I had hoped for--and Everything I expected.
We LOST the Draft Lottery and the Coin toss w/Utah...we drafted the ONE guy I did not want in M.Smart...although Young was a nice addition...Cleveland getting the #1 Pick--will end up costing us Love--and haunt our Championship hopes for the next 5 seasons....I like Zeller though.

it's been a 3 out of 10 off-season for me...pretty lousy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Awful offseason. Rondo is still with the team. As is other role players like Bass Green Bogans Vitor. Bradley whom can't stay healthy got an 8 million a year contract. We lost the coin flip that will haunt Celtics fans for decades, Exum is a once in a generation talent and Smart has no shot at being that franchise player just an okay 2 guard. The only move you have to give Danny credit for is the TPE trade. Zeller is a solid player, Thornton is someone the Celtics can waive before the season begins or trade. He'll add a few wins to the roster which is why he needs to go ASAP.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

That big mistake is going to look a bargain when the new CBA kicks in. And this isn't even accounting for his likely growth as a player since the contract will see Bradey in green from ages 24-27. The deal showed a lot of foresight by Ainge.