Author Topic: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?  (Read 6716 times)

Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:15:19 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
So I was under the impression this was going to be a huge off season to decide the direction of our team. It started well with the draft, I think Ainge made some great picks. Then there was a lull and he used our tpe well.

However, we haven't made any significant additions to compete next season, and we still aren't fully rebuilding. Ainge stated deals are harder to make mid season so I'm curious as to what the plan is, because the way I see it based on our moves so far we don't really have one.

So I was curious and wanted to gauge the blogs thoughts on the off season so far. Has enough been done?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Re: Satisfied with offseason if no other moves are coming?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
It's tough to say at this point. I feel like we're still in a bit of a limbo. We have some great young pieces: Sully, KO, Young, Smart, Zeller and some veteran guys: Wallace, Rondo, Green.. It seems like we're destined for late lottery/8th seed aka the Atlanta Hawks of 5-10 years ago. This isn't a successful formula for rebuilding or contending, it's in that dreaded middle. I would assume Danny tries to unload Rondo and Green at some point in the near future, leaving us with a bunch of draft picks and cap room once Wallace's deal expires.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's mediocrity if you have long term contracts to bad players and little to no draft picks.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
No, but what choice do we have?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:28:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think we've done better than expected between the draft and free-agency (and retaining appropriate free agents on good deals [not overpaid as many of you here are so fond of exclaiming]), not as well as I hoped (yet).

But I like our roster.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:32:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It's not gone exactly how I'd have like it to have gone, but I'm fine with the Bradley resigning and the use of the TPE.  Kevin Love is still available, and I'd still like to get rid of Bass for something more useful, as well as Bogans.  But I never expected we'd get a big free agent, so that's okay.  I don't think we've taken a step backward by losing or trading anyone important, and we've serviceable players and a draft pick.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
I think we've done better than expected between the draft and free-agency (and retaining appropriate free agents on good deals [not overpaid as many of you here are so fond of exclaiming]), not as well as I hoped (yet).

But I like our roster.

But we have a incredibly mis matched roster?

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:43:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I've got to echo everyone else here -- I'm more or less seeing what I expected to see, although I am glad we dodged the Kevin Love thing, which looked like a certainty for a hot minute or two.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

But I like our roster.

It's better than last year's.  We've swapped out a power forward for a center, and hopefully upgraded our guard and wing spots.  We've still got one too many power forwards, and it would be nice to have a defense-oriented center.  But last year our only true center was Fav, and now we've got two.  Heck, even Thornton, whom we were compensated for taking, fills the role of offense off the bench that was missing.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:14 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Something might still get done.  We have 17 players on the roster and several tradeable assets.  I'm sure DA is working the phones.  But we shall see.  It was a decent start to the offseason.  We don't have a lot of cap space to work with but maybe we'll make a deal for a TPE or an asset using Bogans or an expiring contract such as Bass or Thornton near the TDL.

The good news is that we've got a young center who we can plug in at the 5 who might even not embarrass himself out there.  ;-)  And we did not have such a player 30 days ago.  On top of that, we added another 1st round pick to the stockpile.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:46 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm very happy with the offseason except for Bradley's contract...big mistake.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Bogans + Babb + Johnson are all still on the roster. I'd like to see them used to land another piece or asset somehow.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

But I like our roster.

We really don't. It's not mismatched at all. We're missing one rotation big if anything, and some depth at the 3.

But mismatched it's not.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:41 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

But I like our roster.

It's better than last year's.  We've swapped out a power forward for a center, and hopefully upgraded our guard and wing spots.  We've still got one too many power forwards, and it would be nice to have a defense-oriented center.  But last year our only true center was Fav, and now we've got two.  Heck, even Thornton, whom we were compensated for taking, fills the role of offense off the bench that was missing.

I agree it's better than last years, maybe I just expected too much of Ainge. The moves he made were easy moves that didn't acquire a ton of thought. I'd like to see Ainge make a decision with some substance, I'd rather not get stuck in limbo because he can't make a decision on the direction of the team. 

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I'm very happy with the offseason except for Bradley's contract...big mistake.

Big bargain you mean, or haven't you seen the current free-agency market?