Author Topic: Caron Butler close to approx 2-year, $9 million deal with Detroit Pistons  (Read 4616 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It looks like players are really on board with the SVG gameplan, whatever the pitch actually is.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Van Gundy's 1st two moves as GM, signing Augustine and Butler. Interesting start.

Jodie Meeks as well. All three signings have been awful.

What does that total? About $14.5 million a year for the three of them? That is an All-Star player right there that will never play for the Pistons.

I don't have a prob really with them signing one of Meeks, Butler or Augstin but all 3 don't make much sense given their current roster.

It should be pointed out thou that Butler's deal appears to have a team-option for year 2 so it's more likely going to be a 1 yr, $4M deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Augstin's 2yr $6M deal has some sort of option on the 2nd year too.

I also think this may signal DET willingness to move Jennings and Monroe and build around Drummond and Smith.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm kind of incredulous as to why people think these signings are so outrageous...SVG walked into two big, bad contracts that are hard to move (Smith and Jennings) and he's trying to surround Drummond (clearly the player with the most future stardom on the team) with 3pt shooters.

I must say good signings, if you look at their roster they got holes in the G & F positions..

Bigs: Drummond, Smith, Gray, Mitchell, Jerebko
Wings: Singler, KCP, Meeks, Martin, Gigi, Butler
Guards: Jennings, Augustin, Siva, Bynum, Dinwiddie

Let's clarify this a little:

PG: Jennings, Augustin, Siva, Dinwiddie
SG/Off Guard: Meeks, KCP, Bynum
SF: Singler, Butler, Jerebko
PF: Smith, Monroe,
C: Drummond, Gray

That's leaving off the "whatever" players in Gigi, Mitchell, and I don't know who this Martin player is. Is that roster SO HORRIBLE? Didn't their roster feature Charlie V last year? Didn't they have ZERO shooting last year? These moves make a much improved roster over last year's. These moves grant depth to possibly move Jennings which has nearly a 0% likelihood as I can't think of one team in real PG need unless you kick the tires on Rubio in Minny.

The signings of Augustin, Meeks, Butler, etc. are all in an effort to aid Drummond. I expect a lot of emphasis on passing into and out of the post this year so I assume Drummond will have to work a little on his passing.

ALSO, I believe Augustin and Butler are two year deals, correct? I think Meeks is a 3 year deal. Clearly these guys in two years and making room for the summer of '16 is the motive with a lot of teams...especially this team as they'll hopefully be done with/able to move Smith and Jennings.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is that roster SO HORRIBLE?

Are they still starting Jennings and Smith?  If so, then, yes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One of these days Brandon Jennings is going to be forced into a Jason Terry role and win some team a playoff series.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
One of these days Brandon Jennings is going to be forced into a Jason Terry role and win some team a playoff series.

Maybe, but he is just SO inefficient.

ATL Terry might be a good comparison, but even in those years he at least cracked 40% shooting.

I agree though that Jennings is miscast as a franchise PG.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Jennings might be better suited to the Nate Robinson role of bouncing around from team to team, filling a short-term need at PG but never looked at as a long-term roster piece.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It looks like players are really on board with the SVG gameplan, whatever the pitch actually is.

Until, of course, he starts yelling at them in the huddle every moment with that trademark voice of his ::)  I don't know if I could choose between the werewolf (PJ Carlesimo) and SVG as to who has the worst voice.  SVG is a strange way to refer to Van Gundy.  It sounds way too much like SUV, or Law and Order SVU, or Law and Order SUV ;D

On another front, how is Kyle Singler still in the league?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:09:28 PM by Beat LA »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
nothin special

solid vet who can hit 3's and plays D...

Detroit is happy

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
P Gasol in Chi Town!!!

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!