Author Topic: Two small moves that make us better  (Read 718 times)

Two small moves that make us better
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
Look, I know most of us are bummed out as we continue to watch other teams make major moves and we make minor ones, but we've actually improved quite considerably.  At the end of the day, we've added two future starters (Smart and Young) to the backcourt, instant offense on the 2nd unit in Thornton, and a young big in Zeller who does a lot of things well.  I watched every C's game last year, and although most of us want a shot-blocking rim-protector, I feel it's more important to add guys who know how to rotate properly and who are going to use their fouls to prevent easy baskets.  Additionally, I feel that we could also use some toughness at the 5 spot.  So, without further ado, I propose the following moves to bolster the frontline:

1. Send the Courtney Lee trade exception and the Philly pick (which will likely be two second-rounders) to Orlando for Kyle O'Quinn.

2. Get under the cap (by releasing Bogans, Babb, and Johnson) and use the MLE on Jason Smith.

Starters -

C - Zeller
PF - Sully
SF - Green
SG - Bradley
PG - Rondo

Bench -

C - Smith/O'Quinn
PF - Kelly O
SF - Wallace (only because we have to play him, otherwise I'd play Young)
SG - Thornton
PG - Smart

The only issue here is what to do with Bass, so unless he's moved he's going to ruin my plan.  :)

I'd go with a 3-headed monster at the 5 with Zeller/O'Quinn/Smith.  I'd give them 16 minutes apiece and then see who's the most productive with their time.

Re: Two small moves that make us better
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:12 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I like Smith, but with Olynyk and Sullinger already here, we need an athletic big like Ed Davis or Ekpe Udoh as our 4th big.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
I like Smith, but with Olynyk and Sullinger already here, we need an athletic big like Ed Davis or Ekpe Udoh as our 4th big.

I like both Davis and Udoh, but O'Quinn can guard 5's with his bulky frame, has a decent post game, and actually blocked 1.3 shots in 17 minutes per game last year.  I also think he'd come cheaper than both Davis and Udoh.  Solid ideas though, Jay.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I like both Davis and Udoh, but O'Quinn can guard 5's with his bulky frame, has a decent post game, and actually blocked 1.3 shots in 17 minutes per game last year.  I also think he'd come cheaper than both Davis and Udoh.  Solid ideas though, Jay.

I just wanna say that if Sullinger ever hit the freakin gym and maintained a diet, he would have the frame and strength of O'Quinn.. Pair that with his natural basketball skill..

sadly, this will not be the case  :'(  .. Prove me wrong, jared.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens