Author Topic: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts  (Read 22492 times)

Re: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Gerald Green wasn't a bust in Boston he was 20! And he is definitely not a bust now he's a keeper for Phoenix going forward.
Bust doesn't mean failed to stick in the league.  I think the OP means anyone who made it to the NBA but failed to live up to expectations for whatever reason (including injury).  By this definition Gerald Green is most definitely a BUST.

« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Here is my list:

1. Nate Robinson.
I soooo rooted for this guy.  At his best he was such an exciting player, sort of a supercharged Vinny Johnson.  He was (and is) a flat out amazing athlete.

2. Von Wafer.
Believe it or not I had really high hopes for this dude.  In 2010 he started taking the ball to the basket, making his 3s, and really contributed as the year went on.  Usually guys that get better throughout the course of the year just keep getting better in the offseason.  Didn't happen with Wafer and it really disappointed me.

3. JJJ.
This one really hurt.  He seemed like a guy with multiple offensive moves and a nice little midrange jumpshot. At one point he seemed to be coming on defensively, but his progress stopped, he was shipped out of town, and we never heard from him again.

4. Semih Erden.
Could block shots, could finish with both hands, could rebound, could play.  What happened to you, Semih?

5. (the big one) Mike Bibby.
Ok, he wasn't exactly a bust, but when I first started watching him as a young player with those exciting Sacramento teams, I thought he was the next Isaiah Thomas.  In his early days his jumpshot was dynamite. Could get it off against anybody.  Fearless, too.  A young kid not afraid of the big moment whatsoever.  He stopped getting better and never turned into the player he could have been.

6. Leon Powe.
A 6'5 power forward and a great story.  Was in the top 10 in NBA efficiency one year.  Could run.  Could jump.  Great moves around the basket.  Got hurt and disappeared.

7. Glen Davis.
"He tiptoed through the tulips on that one, huh Tommy?" (Mike Gorman)
Another guy not afraid of the big moment.  Very crafty with his body.  Very good in pressure situations.  Fell in love with his crappy jumper and is now looking for a job as I understand it.

Nate The Great??
he is one of my favorite players of all time, IMHO he is no bust, as a matter of fact i think he is the best player of his height or shorter ALL TIME :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Here is my list:

1. Nate Robinson.
I soooo rooted for this guy.  At his best he was such an exciting player, sort of a supercharged Vinny Johnson.  He was (and is) a flat out amazing athlete.

2. Von Wafer.
Believe it or not I had really high hopes for this dude.  In 2010 he started taking the ball to the basket, making his 3s, and really contributed as the year went on.  Usually guys that get better throughout the course of the year just keep getting better in the offseason.  Didn't happen with Wafer and it really disappointed me.

3. JJJ.
This one really hurt.  He seemed like a guy with multiple offensive moves and a nice little midrange jumpshot. At one point he seemed to be coming on defensively, but his progress stopped, he was shipped out of town, and we never heard from him again.

4. Semih Erden.
Could block shots, could finish with both hands, could rebound, could play.  What happened to you, Semih?

Ok, he wasn't exactly a bust, but when I first started watching him as a young player with those exciting Sacramento teams, I thought he was the next Isaiah Thomas.  In his early days his jumpshot was dynamite. Could get it off against anybody.  Fearless, too.  A young kid not afraid of the big moment whatsoever.  He stopped getting better and never turned into the player he could have been.

6. Leon Powe.
A 6'5 power forward and a great story.  Was in the top 10 in NBA efficiency one year.  Could run.  Could jump.  Great moves around the basket.  Got hurt and disappeared.

7. Glen Davis.
Another guy not afraid of the big moment.  Very crafty with his body.  Very good in pressure situations.  Fell in love with his crappy jumper and is now looking for a job as I understand it.

Nate The Great??
he is one of my favorite players of all time, IMHO he is no bust, as a matter of fact i think he is the best player of his height or shorter ALL TIME :)

Umm, not to rain on your parade or anything, but what about Calvin Murphy?

« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Here is my list:

1. Nate Robinson.

2. Von Wafer.

3. JJJ.

4. Semih Erden.

6. Leon Powe.

7. Glen Davis.

Nate The Great??

i'm 24 years old, so i'm not that familar with "unknown" players in nba history. But Nate, has to be in that conversation, right?
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »

Offline Timmio1990

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I was very keen on Boston going after Sully and Quincy Miller a couple of years back, end up with one of them and I don't think the other would have made a huge amount of difference.

« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Milt Palacio is a guy that I thought was going to turn into a very good pro.

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Here is my list:

1. Nate Robinson.

2. Von Wafer.

3. JJJ.

4. Semih Erden.

6. Leon Powe.

7. Glen Davis.

Nate The Great??

i'm 24 years old, so i'm not that familar with "unknown" players in nba history. But Nate, has to be in that conversation, right?

I'm a millennial as well.  I guess that I'm also a bit of a hoops history junkie, too ;D  True, Nate is in the discussion, but Murphy is a hall of famer.  Seriously, you've never heard of him?  He was an awesome player.  As a person, on the other hand?  Not so much, to put it mildly.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/murphy_summary.html

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
My guess that most people under 35 think of Calvin Murphy in one or two ways;

1) the guy who made all those consecutive free throws

2) the guy who fathered like a dozen kids by like 10 women or whatever it was.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
My guess that most people under 35 think of Calvin Murphy in one or two ways;

1) the guy who made all those consecutive free throws

2) the guy who fathered like a dozen kids by like 10 women or whatever it was.

Clearly a man who prioritized making his shots count.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.