Author Topic: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts  (Read 22494 times)

Re: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm only 21 so I will only go back to the 1st draft I vividly remember researching:
2007- Yi Jianlian
Acie Law

I thought for sure when I opened this thread that I'd be the only person to say Acie Law.  You must be a little too young to put Juan Dixon on your list.

This is a great thread.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2014, 11:22:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
OLD
Kedrick Brown....watched him in the Summer League and he was jumping out of the gym.  He was an incredible athlete.  Unfortunately, that didn't mean that he was a great basketball player. 

Walter Berry...he was nasty in college but he didn't do anything in the NBA. 

Danya Abrams...saw a couple of his games when he was at BC and he was a beast.

NEW
Fab...I really thought that this big dummy was going to be a good player. 

Marshon Brooks....I was psyched when they drafted him and then they traded him. 

Luke Harangody...another guy that I was psyched to get.  I thought he was a steal in the 2nd rd.  Oops.

I know that he was the big east player of the year (right?), but I never thought his talent would translate to the NBA because he was 1)  severely undersized for a pf at 6'7" and 2)  he had no lateral quickness or athleticism, so he's a bit of a tweener, almost like - dare I say it already haha - Doug McDermott.  It's always going to come down to the question of, "who can he guard," and in these cases the answer appears to be, 'nobody.'  That's just my view, though.

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2014, 11:28:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
OLD
Kedrick Brown....watched him in the Summer League and he was jumping out of the gym.  He was an incredible athlete.  Unfortunately, that didn't mean that he was a great basketball player. 

NEW

Luke Harangody...another guy that I was psyched to get.  I thought he was a steal in the 2nd rd.  Oops.

I know that he was the big east player of the year (right?), but I never thought his talent would translate to the NBA because he was 1)  severely undersized for a pf at 6'7" and 2)  he had no lateral quickness or athleticism, so he's a bit of a tweener, almost like - dare I say it already haha - Doug McDermott.  It's always going to come down to the question of, "who can he guard," and in these cases the answer appears to be, 'nobody.'  That's just my view, though.
You could say exactly the same for Leon Powe, and Powe was a hugely successful player for us for as long as his knees held.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2014, 11:39:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
OLD

NEW

You could say exactly the same for Leon Powe, and Powe was a hugely successful player for us for as long as his knees held.

Right, but Leon was at least an inch taller (every bit helps haha), was very strong, and had a tremendous wingspan that allowed him to compensate for his lack of height (most of the time).  Plus, even after the knee problems in college he was still a pretty good athlete with at least decent speed.  Harangody looked lost on both ends and spent half of his time on the court taking jumpers.  Ugh.

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Harangody measured 6' 6.25" barefoot (So 6' 7.5" in shoes). The difference in height was minimal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:28 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
When we drafted Gerald Green I had just finished my JR year of high school. I was big into Celticblog back then but went with a dif name and used to write on here and get extra credit from my engilsh teacher..haha(I smile thinking about that)

For the draft I had all my friends over for a draft party. I could not believe gerald green was dropping. All of us were praying when the Paceers were on the clock for them not to pick Gerald. Then when they didn't we immediately started praying for Danny to draft him.BOOM he did and we erupted. We all just thought we got the next TMAC to pair with Al Jefferson.

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Bill Walker will always be at the top of this list for me. I thought he had all-star potential coming out of highschool.

Yeah, I agree.  I honestly thought that he was going to be an awesome player, knee injuries aside, but he just never really 'got it.'  He was a serviceable player for the Knicks after we traded him there, though.  I thought that it was great when Danny got him for nothing in the 2nd round, haha, especially after selecting a steaming pile of poop in the 1st round.  I still have no idea who JR Giddens is, and neither does anyone else, haha ;D  Bro, do you even ball?

The one thing I've learned is to never listen to the front office guys in talking up players?  Gerald Green was the first draft pick for me, and everyone was convinced that he was going to be the next T-Mac, so, naturally, I was thrilled at the selection haha.  I didn't know anything about Rondo, and only started assessing college players in 2007, when I wanted Oden.  I know that he's been labelled a bust, but I think that that's a little unfair.  Yes, he's been injured, but when he does play, he's a monster. 

Now, if we're talking about prospects on other teams that we wanted, I must admit that my ability to draft players has proven to be infallible (SARCASM) ::) ahahahaha ;D  Seriously, how is it that we can read scouting reports, watch youtube videos, and share our views of so-and-so on here and consistently pick better players than Danny Ainge lol?  If I'd have bothered to watch the reports on Giannis, I probably would have really wanted him, too.

Question, though - did anyone really want Marshon Brooks?  I actually wanted Jordan Hamilton, after the Manimal was snatched up by Denver, although, again, if I had seen Brooks play etc, I probably would have gone with him.  If he would only play defense, he could be a great player.  I'm assuming that he'll end up being a star in Europe, however.  Is that fair to say? 

Also, did anyone want Jajuan Johnson?

Two things:
1. Bill Walker was a favorite prospect of mine. Skywalker was such a fitting name for him. I really thought he would be the next VC. And then when OJ Mayo left their hs team because Bill was outshining him, that really sealed it for me.

2. JJJ if you look up on draft express , he has an insane vertical reach and vertical. His vertical reach was one of the all time best...maybe top 20. So from a prospect point that was intriguing ..

« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Darko Milicic obvious choice, Bennet looks like one as well, Ryan Gomes looked like he's turning into a good player/starter, but then he vanished.
Will think about it a bit more :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2014, 01:29:18 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
OLD

NEW

I think you'll be surprised by Doug McDermott then.  He's much more athletic than he's given credit for.  Length could be an issue for him where defense is concerned, but athleticism will not.

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2014, 02:33:54 AM »

Braedenks

I had Austin Rivers with high expectations but he obviously hasn't found his game as of yet but he still has a tonne of time and I think he can still be a solid guard in this league at the one and the two.

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2014, 02:53:51 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Darko Milicic obvious choice, Bennet looks like one as well, Ryan Gomes looked like he's turning into a good player/starter, but then he vanished.
Will think about it a bit more :)

It would have nice if Darko found his form here with the Cs. Shame he wasnt successful here.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2014, 03:08:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I thought Tyrus Thomas had a big future.    I remember when he was a kid I was pretty intrigued at the idea of trading Pierce for young Luol Deng and Ty Thomas.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:13:56 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
sebastian telfair...

but we got rondo anyway so i don't mind.  :)

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I thought Cornell's Ryan Whitman was the next Kyle Korver. I couldn't believe no one drafted him and I thought it was the luckiest thing ever that we were going to have our sniper of the future for a summer league invite.

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Harangody.  Even had a nickname all lined up for him; "Baby Heinsohn."  Never thought he was going to be GREAT, but thought he'd be a rotation guy.  Ugly-ass shot, looked like he was aiming at a peach basket. 

Can't think of too many guys that I thought would be stars who never broke out, but lots and lots and lots of guys that I thought would have solid 12-year careers who fizzled out after a couple.  Was a Jumaine Jones guy back in the day.  I thought Gomes would carve out more of a career for himself after Boston.  Was a big Justin Reed fan, too; excellent defender early on, then it seemed they asked him to become more of an offensive player and his D seemed to trail off. 

Oh, and Brandon Hunter (of course) was the New Sir Charles.