Author Topic: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts  (Read 22551 times)

Re: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I may date back a bit further than some folks on here so these names may not ring a bell but a few of my WTH's were

1) Walter Berry St Johns

2) Ronnie Perry - HC

3) Scoonie Penn - BC

4) Chris Herren - Everywhere

These are obviously Northeast-centric but I was a hug Big East fan back in the day and they used to televise a double header every Monday night and replay it after Midnight (i was working the graveyard shift).

I thought ever BC guy was gonna be a superstah back then.

Dude, don't forget Bill Curley!

I'm with you on the age.  I played at a bunch of camps with Scoonie Penn because we are around the same age...that guy could ball.  I still can't believe he didn't make it in the nba although he's done well overseas.

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
TP for the thread. We often like to forget the players we hoped the Celts would get, only to realize the C's were better off. For me: Royce White, Austin Rivers, Beasley, Hassan Whiteside, Miles Simon (throwback), and Trajan Langdon (throwback)...just to name a few.

I just felt that Austin Rivers was a bust, even while playing for Duke. I hoped we didnt select him.

Same here.  Why did you want Fab Melo, btw?

A big seven footer who played (in my eyes during his college days, and the way he played excellent ball for the d-league). Even until the end of his stay here in Boston, I sincerely was hoping he'd wake up and be a dominant force (what with KG mentoring him and all that stuff).
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TJ Ford

Hasheem Thabeet

Travis Outlaw

Why Thabeet?  Just curious.  I think everyone was so high on his potential, despite the fact that he often looked lost on the court, simply because of his height, and then everything came crashing down when he was judo-flipped by dejuan blair lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnDkOAuwYs&feature=kp

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pre-Draft Pining:
- Arujao (convinced by tourney run)
- Gerald Green
- Sene
- Shawne williams
- Brandan Wright
- Anthony Randolph

Trade target pining (as in, still on rookie deal and "buried" on another team, let's steal them!):
- Jackie Butler
- Andreis biedrins (was shooting >.600 with amazing per minute rebounds, young, and liked defense!)
- Brandan Wright (again)
- Fesenko
- Speights

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for the thread. We often like to forget the players we hoped the Celts would get, only to realize the C's were better off. For me: Royce White, Austin Rivers, Beasley, Hassan Whiteside, Miles Simon (throwback), and Trajan Langdon (throwback)...just to name a few.

I just felt that Austin Rivers was a bust, even while playing for Duke. I hoped we didnt select him.

A big seven footer who played (in my eyes during his college days, and the way he played excellent ball for the d-league). Even until the end of his stay here in Boston, I sincerely was hoping he'd wake up and be a dominant force (what with KG mentoring him and all that stuff).

The only thing I heard about him while he was at Syracuse was that he was deemed academically ineligible for the NCAA tournament, which was a bit of a head-scratcher to say the least ;D  All that told me was that Syracuse needed better 'people' to do his work for him lol. 

You certainly weren't alone in the view of thinking that he could blossom under KG, I know that I was hoping for the same.  His bpg in the d-league were impressive, but I must say that I never saw him play save for when he was a Celtic.  Did he look dominant in college?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:25:20 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Pre-Draft Pining:
- Arujao (convinced by tourney run)
- Gerald Green
- Sene
- Shawne williams
- Brandan Wright
- Anthony Randolph

Trade target pining (as in, still on rookie deal and "buried" on another team, let's steal them!):
- Jackie Butler
- Andreis biedrins (was shooting >.600 with amazing per minute rebounds, young, and liked defense!)
- Brandan Wright (again)
- Fesenko
- Speights

Jackie Butler - now there's a blast from the past haha.  He wasn't that bad, if memory serves me right.  Would you describe him as being a combination of Perk's body with offensive talent?  Someone mentioned Andris Biedrins in a thread about potential big men that could be had off the waiver wire, essentially.  Did you know that he's only 28 :o  It seems like he's been around forever, doesn't it (not counting his exile to Utah for the past couple of seasons I think lol)?  Always a standout at the Ben Wallace free throw clinic haha ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:27:17 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2014, 09:38:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I was stunned that Scotty Hopson went undrafted in 2011.  Yeah...

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2014, 10:07:36 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
When I was a 9 year old kid, I mailed a handwritten letter to the Celtics asking them to draft Acie Earl.  Sorry guys.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
When I was a 9 year old kid, I mailed a handwritten letter to the Celtics asking them to draft Acie Earl.  Sorry guys.

Haha, TP ;D

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
OLD
Kedrick Brown....watched him in the Summer League and he was jumping out of the gym.  He was an incredible athlete.  Unfortunately, that didn't mean that he was a great basketball player. 

Walter Berry...he was nasty in college but he didn't do anything in the NBA. 

Danya Abrams...saw a couple of his games when he was at BC and he was a beast.

NEW
Fab...I really thought that this big dummy was going to be a good player. 

Marshon Brooks....I was psyched when they drafted him and then they traded him. 

Luke Harangody...another guy that I was psyched to get.  I thought he was a steal in the 2nd rd.  Oops. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Walter Berry is a very curious case.  In his three seasons he averaged 14 and 5 in 23 mins per game.  He refused to accept lesser roles and coming off the bench and thus bolted to Europe and had a great career there.

Not sure if you can even qualify him as a true bust as 14 and 5 in 23 for first 3 seasons in the league is not too shabby at all.  Gotta wonder if in the right organization or with a better attitude he would have ever made an nba all star team.

Europe was clearly the right move for him.  It's just generally busts either weren't good enough.  He seems like he was and just couldn't handle not being the absolute man from the get go.

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Got one that wasn't mentioned!! I will also date myself! He was on the cover of Sports Illustrated!!
I really thought he would be a superstar in the NBA!! Played for St Johns.
Felipe Lopez!!  He was really fun to watch in collage!! Oh well!!

« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

The only thing I heard about him while at Syracuse was that he was deemed academically ineligible for the NCAA tournament, which was a bit of a head-scratcher to say the least ;D  All that told me was that Syracuse needed better 'people' to do his work for him lol. 

You certainly weren't alone in the view of thinking that he could blossom under KG, I know that I was hoping for the same.  His bpg in the d-league were impressive, but I must say that I never saw him play save for when he was a Celtic.  Did he look dominant in college?

No. He definitely looked like a very raw prospect when he was with 'Cuse.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Recent drafts...

2012: sure it's been said but I really wanted Royce White... glad he was taken before we picked, once Sully fell I was praying DA would grab him. As long as he comes back in shape that ones really paying off

2013: Wanted Shabazz last year. Juries still out but thought he'd have a better rookie season.

2014: Wanted Smart. According to some on this forum  apparently he's already a bust :0

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm in the "tricked by Royce White" camp like a lot of posters. I also thought PJIII would be much better than he has been but I wasn't sold on his motor. I was high on Otto Porter and Shabazz but I think those guys can still make names for themselves.

In fairness to me I was also screaming to draft Giannis and Dieng. So I'm not a complete dope :)