Author Topic: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts  (Read 22541 times)

Re: Prospects you pined for but ended up being busts
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Anthony Randolph

Oh. As a Warriors fan as well, this really hurts. Everybody was high on him.

I go Fab Melo. I was not expecting a star, but I expected a mobile Center who will rebound and defend the rim. Was expecting that hed havr a Tyson Chandler (not comparing) impact defensively. But two years in and he was still lost on the court.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Anthony Randolph

Oh. As a Warriors fan as well, this really hurts. Everybody was high on him.

I go Fab Melo. I was not expecting a star, but I expected a mobile Center who will rebound and defend the rim. Was expecting that hed havr a Tyson Chandler (not comparing) impact defensively. But two years in and he was still lost on the court.

I could see Fab Melo being one of those guys that goes to Europe for 4-5 years and comes back to the NBA an accomplished player. I think the coaching and experience Fab Melo could get over there would do wonders for him. NBA does not offer that type of environment.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't know if he's really a "bust," but I absolutely thought Sebastian Telfair would be a better NBA player than he has been.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Terrence Williams. Yikes.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Adam Morrison.  Also, Jujuan Johnson. I'm sure if you go back through the draft threads three years ago, you can find at least one started by me in favor of drafting him.  Oops.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Micheal Beasley, I thought he'd be a great big 3 who could rebound well for his position and score inside.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
For Celtics: Ron Mercer...I was soooo high on him being at Kentucky than pick by the C's..went out and bought his jersey (still got it :) )...thought he going to be a superstar

Player I was hoping to get: Tim Duncan..thought we had #1 pick :((((((

Player I was hoping to get when it was Celtics time to pick but turn out to be a bust: Perry Jones..but still time for him but running out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Moiso and Swift are on my list.  Dajuan Wagner, Eddie Griffin.  I couldn't imagine Eddy Curry turning into a nobody. 

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".

Jerome Moiso. Really thought he could be the next Mark Blount.

This one made me chuckle so I award a TP
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Anthony Randolph

Also Michael Beasley. Xavier Henry.

He's not a bust.  Did you see him play last year, which was really his rookie year in many ways?  He can play.  I don't know how good he can be, but I wish that Ainge had signed him for last year.  It would have been a lot of fun watching him develop.  Man can he get to the free throw line.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »

fitzhickey

Terrence Williams. Yikes.
This. JaJuan too

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I was a huge Khalid El-Amin fan.

That one didn't really work out...

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Bill Walker will always be at the top of this list for me. I thought he had all-star potential coming out of highschool.

Yeah, I agree.  I honestly thought that he was going to be an awesome player, knee injuries aside, but he just never really 'got it.'  He was a serviceable player for the Knicks after we traded him there, though.  I thought that it was great when Danny got him for nothing in the 2nd round, haha, especially after selecting a steaming pile of poop in the 1st round.  I still have no idea who JR Giddens is, and neither does anyone else, haha ;D  Bro, do you even ball?

The one thing I've learned is to never listen to the front office guys in talking up players?  Gerald Green was the first draft pick for me, and everyone was convinced that he was going to be the next T-Mac, so, naturally, I was thrilled at the selection haha.  I didn't know anything about Rondo, and only started assessing college players in 2007, when I wanted Oden.  I know that he's been labelled a bust, but I think that that's a little unfair.  Yes, he's been injured, but when he does play, he's a monster. 

Now, if we're talking about prospects on other teams that we wanted, I must admit that my ability to draft players has proven to be infallible (SARCASM) ::) ahahahaha ;D  Seriously, how is it that we can read scouting reports, watch youtube videos, and share our views of so-and-so on here and consistently pick better players than Danny Ainge lol?  If I'd have bothered to watch the reports on Giannis, I probably would have really wanted him, too.

Question, though - did anyone really want Marshon Brooks?  I actually wanted Jordan Hamilton, after the Manimal was snatched up by Denver, although, again, if I had seen Brooks play etc, I probably would have gone with him.  If he would only play defense, he could be a great player.  I'm assuming that he'll end up being a star in Europe, however.  Is that fair to say? 

Also, did anyone want Jajuan Johnson?   

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I was a huge Khalid El-Amin fan.

That one didn't really work out...

That was the Uconn guy from '99, right?  Their pg?  Whatever happened to him?  I thought I heard that he went overseas. 

Let's see, other guys - Al Farouq Aminu looked promising, as did James Johnson, but I didn't really want them here because there was no room at the inn ;D  What about Shabazz Muhammed?  I don't think we's played enough to be considered a bust yet.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Moiso and Swift are on my list.  Dajuan Wagner, Eddie Griffin.  I couldn't imagine Eddy Curry turning into a nobody.

Curry was a borderline all star before he went to the Knicks.  That was probably the absolute worst place for him, unfortunately.  I wouldn't consider him a bust, but then again I wasn't watching when he and Tyson Chandler were being hyped as the next great big men.  I actually liked Curry as a player, if only because he plays inside, although he was a punk at times with Chicago.  Did anyone want Darko, btw, or at least think that he was going to be something special?  Again, I wasn't watching at that time, so I'll have to rely on you guys here.