Author Topic: Zeller's 8'8" Standing reach is wrong.  (Read 5594 times)

Zeller's 8'8" Standing reach is wrong.
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It's wrong or more likely manipulated to increase his vertical. Example I'm 6'1" with a 6'4" wingspan. My standing reach is 7'8" without stretching my arm at all, If I do stretch I can touch my 8' ceiling without lifting my feet.

So I could go with the 7'8" measurement and gain 4" on my vertical. And I mentioned on here before Zellar had a 30" no step vertical. He's a good athlete but D Wade only jumped 31" does anyone believe that there vertical is that close. I don't

So to summarize I'm 6'1" and can reach to 8'1"  Zeller is 6'11" And can only reach to 8'8"  with a seven foot wingspan. Unless he has the smallest forearm bone ever I think he wanted to look like a better athlete. Probably his agents advice.

Re: Zeller's 8'8" Standing reach is wrong.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The whole standing reach and vert leap is a bit over rated.

I'm more looking at if the guy can cover a lot of ground quick, from one end of the paint to the other. And quickly react/jump to make the shooter change his shot. Also hold his own in the paint against other players.

Look at Rodman. Not all that big, but covered a lot of ground and could hold his own against Shaq.

If you look at video's of Zeller, he has a good leaping ability, and is quick. I think he has the physical tools to get it done. Just not sure of the mental yet. But the kid hasn't had a lot of time to develop and/or showcase what he could do with the injuries and being behind two other Centers.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe not 8'8 but somewhere between 8'10 to 8'11

Like horford or joakim noah

Cant see how his brother cody zeller at 7 ft tall with a 6'10 wingspan has a longer reach

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Off topic, but can you imagine how bad Bird would've done at the combine with all measurements and athletic testing?

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Its the difference in shoulder width and height of the shoulders compared to top of the head.  It is possible and probably is accurate.  I still like the pick up.

And on the bird combine comment.  I agree he would look bad.  Goes to show while the combine measuring matters it isnt a crystal ball.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Don't they use digital pads now for the standing vertical? You don't actually have to "reach".  I know I tested on some digital pads at camps just for fun when I was helping high schoolers.

Either way, measurements are what they are.  I know there is some correlation between arm length and defensive abilities for a player but it doesn't mean that player can't become effective in other areas and make up for shortcomings. 

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
Its the difference in shoulder width and height of the shoulders compared to top of the head.  It is possible and probably is accurate.  I still like the pick up.

And on the bird combine comment.  I agree he would look bad.  Goes to show while the combine measuring matters it isnt a crystal ball.

just like Tom Brady

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97

This. Combine measurements are basically worthless. There's a reason most NBA execs and chief scouts don't even bother to attend the draft combines anymore. Not only are they not reliable measures of performance, but there are too many weird factors that can affect a player's measurements on that day. They are really only good for general benchmarks and relative comparisons rather than any absolute truth about a player's ability.

Vertical leap especially people read too much into. It's just a vague way to call a player athletic.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Off topic, but can you imagine how bad Bird would've done at the combine with all measurements and athletic testing?

I don't think it would matter his college stats were like none of these guys and he lead IND State for the finals.   People said, he could not run and jump but Red saw something and he drafted him after his junior year because he was already in school 4 years by then.  He played his senior year and we got him and the rest is history.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Bird was more athletic when he came out of college than people give him credit for.

So said Bill Russell.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Here's a photo of Zeller shooting over KG.....

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0713/bos_g_zeller_300x300.jpg

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0713/bos_g_zeller_300x300.jpg

I understand that you are trying to prove a point. But if you can't tell the difference between KG en Joel Anthony, than your case isn't all that strong.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

This. Combine measurements are basically worthless. There's a reason most NBA execs and chief scouts don't even bother to attend the draft combines anymore. Not only are they not reliable measures of performance, but there are too many weird factors that can affect a player's measurements on that day. They are really only good for general benchmarks and relative comparisons rather than any absolute truth about a player's ability.

Vertical leap especially people read too much into. It's just a vague way to call a player athletic.
Why would they attend? They can get the numbers without watching guys. It would be pointless to watch the measurements being made, even though the measurements are very useful for decision making.

I don't understand the logic of the initial post. Comparing personal measurements with Zeller's? Remember the comment about Elton Brand that he has no neck? Height is a less useful stat than standing reach. Obviously, no state is solely responsible for the quality of a player. But if you think height is useful, standing reach is definitely useful since it measures something that matters more than how high your skull is -- how high your hand can go. Standing reach cannot be derived just from someone's height. That is the whole reason they measure it separately. It matters where your shoulders are.

Standing reach matters because you usually only get one chance to jump when defending, especially when man-to-man. If you have the better reach, you can interfere with a shot without jumping, meaning you also have a better chance to box your man out. You also are less likely to bite on pump fakes. Height matters in as much as it has a correlation with standing reach.

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

That is his jump hook.   Guys shoot it because it is hard to block and puts their body between the ball and the defender.   You just sunk your own argument.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I don't think it would matter his college stats were like none of these guys and he lead IND State for the finals.   People said, he could not run and jump but Red saw something and he drafted him after his junior year because he was already in school 4 years by then.  He played his senior year and we got him and the rest is history.
while i agree with you that bird almost won the finals with no other quality players on that team celtics4ever has a point, so many people get into def ratings, vertical leap etc etc that it might affect so good players