Author Topic: With Pierce gone, those Nets picks are looking pretty good  (Read 3173 times)

With Pierce gone, those Nets picks are looking pretty good
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Don't you think?

Re: With Pierce gone, those Nets picks are looking pretty good
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think the health of Deron Williams and Lopez will have a larger impact but yes the Nets did take a step backwards today.

How about we offer to trade Gerald Williams Wallace for KG, maybe give them back the 2018 pick.  KG can help to establish a culture and also retire in Green as he should.  (PP should also but that may be the next year or something).

I don't think KG is going to play much or have much impact for them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:24:03 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I think the health of Deron Williams and Lopez will have a larger impact but yes the Nets did take a step backwards today.

How about we offer to trade Gerald Williams for KG, maybe give them back the 2018 pick.  KG can help to establish a culture and also retire in Green as he should.  (PP should also but that may be the next year or something).

Gerald Wallace I assume you mean.

I think Danny will sit tight right now and try to sign Love next summer.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
This shows a lot about what PP thinks about DWill/Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
How about we offer to trade Gerald Williams for KG, maybe give them back the 2018 pick.  KG can help to establish a culture and also retire in Green as he should.  (PP should also but that may be the next year or something).
No thanks.  I think I rather take my chances that they sink in 2018 and have their pick, or use it in something better than a pointless salary dump.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Gerald Wallace I assume you mean.

Yes, Wallace, I fixed that, thanks.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
The Nets aren't going to go into full tank mode anytime soon. Atlanta has a right to switch picks with them next year, we have their pick in 2016, can switch with them in 2017, and have their pick in 2018. Thus, there is no incentive for them to blow it up and start over. All they would be doing is giving us good picks.

If they played in the West, they'd probably have no choice, but with the East as bad as it is, Prokhorov's deep pockets, and a core of Williams, Johnson, and Lopez, they're probably going to be good enough to be a low-seed playoff team for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

So why would Love want to play for the Cs?  Not sure we have much to offer yet... ::)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
The value of the Brooklyn picks are such a "What If" scenario...The Nets could be deplorable in 2016 or pretty darn good, looking at their payroll structure.

Next summer they'll have the following at their disposal:

Joe Johnson's $25 Million expiring
Brook Lopez's $17 Million expiring
Jarrett Jack's $6.3 Million non-guaranteed
Karasev's $1.6 Million non-guaranteed
Teletovic's Qualifying Offer

So, it'll depend what Billy King can get in return with those "assets"...After 2016 though, Brooklyn will be vastly different. They could have, depending on the Teletovic decision, around $50 Million in cap space. Brooklyn is a big market and they could make some huge splashes that off-season.

Again, though, King will have to do a ton to make it work...Basic thought here, I'm not jumping to conclusions about what the Nets will look like over the next year or two, b/c there are way too many moving parts. Obviously, the hope as a Celtics fan is that King can't work any kind of deals for those expirings and they collapse right in time for the C's to take advantage and get a top-5 pick in the 2016 draft.

Finally, I'll admit that the really good thing about all of this, in regards to that '16 pick, is that Brooklyn has NOTHING of quality that they could add to those expirings to make any deal more enticing.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 12:30:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Pierce and KG were part of that master plan with Danny Ainge ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
This shows a lot about what PP thinks about DWill/Johnson

The Nets aren't going to go into full tank mode anytime soon. Atlanta has a right to switch picks with them next year, we have their pick in 2016, can switch with them in 2017, and have their pick in 2018. Thus, there is no incentive for them to blow it up and start over. All they would be doing is giving us good picks.

If they played in the West, they'd probably have no choice, but with the East as bad as it is, Prokhorov's deep pockets, and a core of Williams, Johnson, and Lopez, they're probably going to be good enough to be a low-seed playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Actually, from all accounts I have read thus far, it seems like Pierce's departure was mostly due to a lack of interest by Billy King / Prokhorov. I think Pierce was indeed interested in returning, but Brooklyn didn't want to spend the 20mill or whatever it would have cost to bring him back, between the MLE contract he was looking for (at the least) and the luxury tax penalties they would have had to pay out on top of it. I guess Brooklyn is looking to cut down on spending, while still remaining competitive...whatever that means. So it looks like Brooklyn is cool with divvying up SF minutes between Bogdanovic and Karasev next year, rather than paying Pierce to return. It feels weird even typing that, seeing as Prokhorov seemed to have no qualms with putting together the most expensive team is basketball last summer. I guess the team failed to meet his expectations last yr, although it seems like Pierce and KG are easy scapegoats in that scenario. If Brook Lopez could ever stay healthy, maybe they would have beaten Miami...but Pierce and Johnson were the only reason they even beat Toronto in the 1st round. But anyways, it sounds like Mr. Big Spender Prokhorov is attempting to taper back all the big spending. It still seems like an odd time to cheap out on bringing back Pierce though, with all the crazy money they are already spending to overpay guys like Williams, Lopez, and Johnson, the first two of whom are rarely healthy.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
It looks like we are also going to get the 31st or 32nd or 33rd pick in next years draft, as the 76ers will be in total tank mode again next season.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/19932/nets-let-pierce-go-and-close-title-window

League sources say the Nets decided not to offer a deal to Pierce that would match or exceed the two-year, $11 million deal he finalized with the Wizards late Saturday night.

The Nets owned Pierce’s Bird Rights and could have paid him as much as they wanted. But they passed on Pierce for a couple of reasons: They didn’t think they were going to win a championship with Pierce and this current roster and they also wanted to start developing some of their younger talent, according to sources.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/19932/nets-let-pierce-go-and-close-title-window

League sources say the Nets decided not to offer a deal to Pierce that would match or exceed the two-year, $11 million deal he finalized with the Wizards late Saturday night.

The Nets owned Pierce’s Bird Rights and could have paid him as much as they wanted. But they passed on Pierce for a couple of reasons: They didn’t think they were going to win a championship with Pierce and this current roster and they also wanted to start developing some of their younger talent, according to sources.

Yup, exactly. That's the point I was making, but I was too lazy to dig up links to whichever sites I had read that on haha.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
The Nets lost $144 million dollars last season.