Author Topic: Paul Pierce agrees to 2-year, Mid-Level deal with the Washington Wizards  (Read 16342 times)

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm honestly surprised that Pierce went with the Wizards, I would have bet the farm that he would be returning to the Celtics. :P

Celtics didn't offer is my guess.

Although I would trade an old Pierce for a young Jeff Green any day.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
There's gotta be another move coming, right? I gotta believe that Pierce took a pay cut so they could have flexibility to make another move, right? Pierce is still worth at least 8 mill...

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Great deal for Pierce...He gets $5+ Million and a great shot to start on a playoff team...He can also opt out after one year.  So, in his mind he's probably thinking - Start on a young playoff team, drive my value up and then go back out on the market a year from now with the cap up and a ton of teams with space looking to improve with a number of franchise changing FA's available.

I never saw Pierce coming back this year to the Celtics, why would he? Unless the C's were able to finish a number of trades that made them a playoff team. I remember DA on T&R a couple of months ago when he was asked about Pierce coming back...He didn't really "jump" at the idea. Ainge handled it like someone who wasn't interested in that option. At. All.

But, with Pierce's ability to option out after year one, I now believe the chances of a Pierce return to Boston has improved. The Celtics youth will have another year under their belt, they'll have a good amount of money coming off the books to use and Pierce at one year older could be more open to coming off the bench. Maybe next year is the Derek Jeter/Mariano Rivera like story for The Truth, who comes back home for one last run in front of his fans. At least, that's how I'd write the story, ha.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
That Wizzards team is very talented and relatively young.  Actually, they have a good mix of young and veteran talent.  I think Ariza was their SF last season.  I think he is moving, so PP should get all the mins at SF he wants.  Look for the Wizzards to finish in the top 4 in the East.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There's gotta be another move coming, right? I gotta believe that Pierce took a pay cut so they could have flexibility to make another move, right? Pierce is still worth at least 8 mill...

No, he isn't. Props to him for continuing to bounce around and play for also ran championship contenders, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

No, he isn't. Props to him for continuing to bounce around and play for also ran championship contenders, though.

Yeah it feels kind of dirty seeing Pierce move from team to team, but some of the best to ever play hop around a ton at the end of their careers. I know the trade was worth it but Pierce is the only player I think I'd ever allow myself to get sentimental over and wish we kept him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I still say Pierce is worth 8 mil in this league. not for what the Nets were expecting out of him though(we definitely got the better end of that deal). the Nets were using him and KG as if they were still starters or expecting starter mins. if they were still able to do that we would've kept them.

if Washington is expecting that then it's a mistake on their part. pierce right now is a guy you stick in for a few mins. in the 2nd qrtr. and a few mins. in the 4th and if he's playing well, you leave him in.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Yeah it feels kind of dirty seeing Pierce move from team to team, but some of the best to ever play hop around a ton at the end of their careers. I know the trade was worth it but Pierce is the only player I think I'd ever allow myself to get sentimental over and wish we kept him.

Yup. I mean, Charles Barkley remains one of my all time favorite players, and he was pretty mercenary when it came to gunning for a ring.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Maybe the short term deal the Wizards gave him was what he wanted? hence him going there in the first place.

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

So Avery Bradley should be getting paid more than Paul Pierce? Go on...

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yup. I mean, Charles Barkley remains one of my all time favorite players, and he was pretty mercenary when it came to gunning for a ring.
Just in going to Houston, right?  I don't remember him forcing his way to Phoenix to Phoenix in particular.  He just wore out his welcome in Philly and wanted out.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
He left Philly, and I'm paraphrasing but this is what he said to an ESPN radio station, I believe -- because the organization was awful and he wanted to win.

So Avery Bradley should be getting paid more than Paul Pierce? Go on...

Ethically and emotionally, no -- Pierce should have gotten a Kobe deal from Boston.

From an armchair GM standpoint, Bradley's almost certainly a better deal, especially given the current price for his kind of player.