Author Topic: Paul Pierce agrees to 2-year, Mid-Level deal with the Washington Wizards  (Read 16409 times)

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Good move by Pierce...the East is WEAK...Wash looked [dang] good last season---with a couple of breaks---he could find himself in the Finals once again.

I was surprised with how well they looked last season with Nene/Gortat and Wall/Beal.

Their starting 5 can play with anyone, assuming they come together.  The pieces fit.

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Pierce should have gone to CHICAGO OR HOUSTON, very least CLIPPERS IDK about this move if he chasing a title still.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Wow.  It looks like Pierce got the Ray Allen treatment from Billy King.  He's only a future hall of famer - no need to make resigning him a priority or anything ::)  Unbelievable.

Resigning Pierce would have cost the Nets $20M in luxury taxes.

If the Nets are looking to save money now let's trade Bass and Bogan's non guaranteed deal for KG, the right to swap the 2019 pick, and the 2020 pick. Lol

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wow. I'm shocked at this. I can't believe he chose the Wizards for the MLE over someone like the Clippers.
Clippers spent their money on Spencer Hawes. Maybe LAC wasn't able to agree to a sign and trade with Brooklyn. Only sense of it I can make. Very odd otherwise.

I expect a starting position and 30 minutes a night was a big factor in his decision. I bet most contenders that were interested in Pierce were unwilling to give him that type of playing time. Viewed him as a backup SF.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
According to the writeup on ESPN,

"Sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo that the Nets elected to pass on signing Pierce."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11208931/paul-pierce-washington-wizards-agree-two-year-deal

I think that is a good decision by the Nets. They had too many slow players especially on perimeter. Very difficult to fit Pierce into the team. They need more quickness and athleticism to sort their defense out.

Letting Pierce leave is a worthwhile sacrifice to improve team overall.

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
According to the writeup on ESPN,

"Sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo that the Nets elected to pass on signing Pierce."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11208931/paul-pierce-washington-wizards-agree-two-year-deal

I think that is a good decision by the Nets. They had too many slow players especially on perimeter. Very difficult to fit Pierce into the team. They need more quickness and athleticism to sort their defense out.

Letting Pierce leave is a worthwhile sacrifice to improve team overall.

Agreed. After Lopez went down, Pierce moved to power forward. Only then did his numbers improve. With Lopez back they need a real power forward, and Joe Johnson should play small forward. 

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
so, if KG retires(or even comes back and is still a shell of himself)

Ainge will have gotten I think 4 draft picks from the Nets for a 1 year rental of Pierce. and those picks are looking better every single day

Ainge won this trade big time..

not a bad move for pierce though, that team looks good on paper

wall/beal/pierce/nene/gortat 

I have to think KG is going to retire though. I have a hard time seeing pierce leave KG after HE convinced KG to waive his no trade clause and agree to go to the nets.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I absolutely love this move by Pierce and a great pick up for a Wizards team that definitely needs some championship experience.

Before this move I thought the Wizards were a top 3 team in the East going into next season. while i'm not ready to say they are the best because of this move, depending on what the other teams do they could be the best in the East next season.   

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wow, Im shock!! I thought it would between LA Clippers or Brooklyn for PP..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Since it appears that Brooklyn was dead set against adding more payroll, ruling out his return to Brooklyn and to the Clippers in a sign and trade, this is not a bad landing.  What other situations were available?  Chicago appears to have spent their cap space on Gasol.  OKC looked like a good option but they're up against the luxury tax and appear dead set on crossing it.  Houston signed Ariza.  Maybe Dallas but who knows what they were offering and rumor has it that they're going to target Stephenson if Houston matches Parson's offer sheet. Washington's already a solid team that can take a major bump without Pierce if Beal develops into an above average contributor.  He'll play with unselfish teammates, with two legitimate bigs, with guards who can drive and kick, there's a lot to like.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Seeing Pierce in a Nets jersey was one thing but seeing him in the red, white, & blue of a Wizards jersey will be really bizarre. 

Interesting decision but the Wizards are an exciting, upcoming team.  Gonna be a fun League Pass team to watch next year. 

Eastern Conference is going to be really interesting next season.  If Love doesn't go to CLE, it's gonna be wide open among 4-5 teams. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Wow, Im shock!! I thought it would between LA Clippers or Brooklyn for PP..

I was hoping to see Pierce on the Clippers playing next to Paul and Griffin but with Brooklyn tightening the purse strings, that turned out not to be an option.  They didn't even match Washington's offer because they didn't want to add 20 million after luxury tax considerations (perhaps reasonably.)  No way were they going to add more salary in a sign and trade.

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Pierce has a opt out contract after 1 year with the wizards

Pierce to sign with the Wizards
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I doubt if KG will retire.

I doubt he will leave $12 million dollars on the table.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:47:14 AM by Chris22 »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm honestly surprised that Pierce went with the Wizards, I would have bet the farm that he would be returning to the Celtics. :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:56:41 AM by SportsCanuck »

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird