Author Topic: Paul Pierce agrees to 2-year, Mid-Level deal with the Washington Wizards  (Read 16468 times)

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
It is interesting to note that Sam Cassell is the Wizards' assistant coach.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if KG will waive his no-trade clause and join Pierce in Washington? Is there anything the Wiz have that the Nets would want? I can't see KG staying in Brooklyn when they want to go younger.

And KG as Gortat's backup would be sweet.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Nene's importance to the team is underrated.

I expected Pierce to be one of the options for Washington if Ariza left.  Or for any team that was interested in Parsons, Ariza, or Deng.

Of the teams in the Eastern Conference that finished ahead of Washington, only Miami has a clear hole at SF.

Wizards assistant coach Sam Cassell is said to have been a factor in Pierce's decision.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Well, I wonder if Pierce's decision was influenced by KG. Perhaps KG is having some trepidation in returning judging by him ignoring Hollins.

"I have called and I’ve texted him. I have not talked to him yet. KG, if he decides to come back and play, will certainly be in that mix [of the nucleus]. I’m sure if he returns he’s going to probably be in the best condition of his life, wanting to go out with a bang and on own his own terms. That’s what I expect."

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

Wizards assistant coach Sam Cassell is said to have been a factor in Pierce's decision.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
@HPbasketball

That awkward moment where you go "You know.... maybe Jason Kidd had a point about Billy King..."

In Ainge I trust

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Marvin Williams got a better deal than Pierce.  What the $^%~!
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Not good for Sammy.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There's got to be a joke in there somewhere about the Truth and Washington politics.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
he should be a great mentor for Otto porter

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Wow. Completely out of left field. Washington? Hey. Chance to start, sweet starting five... Go Wiz. I love it.

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Good move by Pierce...the East is WEAK...Wash looked [dang] good last season---with a couple of breaks---he could find himself in the Finals once again.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
seeing as how the C's are still in disarray and will likely not make the playoffs, once the postseason starts, i'm hoping the Wiz come out of the East  ;D

- LilRip

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This feels very weird. Although he will help that Wiz lineup tremendously.

But, man, KG has just been left behind.

According to the writeup on ESPN,

"Sources told ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo that the Nets elected to pass on signing Pierce."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11208931/paul-pierce-washington-wizards-agree-two-year-deal

Wow.  It looks like Pierce got the Ray Allen treatment from Billy King.  He's only a future hall of famer - no need to make resigning him a priority or anything ::)  Unbelievable.

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Wow.  It looks like Pierce got the Ray Allen treatment from Billy King.  He's only a future hall of famer - no need to make resigning him a priority or anything ::)  Unbelievable.

Resigning Pierce would have cost the Nets $20M in luxury taxes.

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Pierce can obviously do more than camp in a corner and shoot 3s. Which is basically all Ariza did offensively last season. Washington's offense and late game execution (they played in and lost numerous OT games) should improve. They will miss Ariza's defense, but Wall and Beal are good defenders.