Author Topic: Next Move (if any): Go after Jason Smith? Alexis Ajinca (S&T)?  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The Pelicans renounced rights to Jason Smith yesterday, so Jason Smith will need to find a new home. He averaged 10 points and 6 rebounds last year, and had 3 20+ games. He's a 7ft center, and he's a good rebounder. He can also hit jump shots and can score in the paint.

Another option is a S&T with the Pelicans for Alexis Ajinca. The Pelicans expressed interest in Humphries, and so maybe we can use Kris Humphries in a S&T with the Pelicans to acquire Ajinca and another possible asset or pick?

Both players can come for fairly cheap, and if we get Smith we could use some of the MLE on his contract, which would likely be short term if he did sign. Smith earned 2M last year, Ajinca around $900,000.

It seems we are "done" with FA considering after James made his decision many teams made FA signings or moves, except the Celtics. However, you never know with Ainge, he can work magic when you least expect it or with nothing. Ajinca and Smith are cheap options at center to back up Zeller/Faverani (maybe Iverson?) and it wouldn't hurt our cap space much for next year (which is big :) ) and we have the MLE to use this season.

Hoping next season at C, we get DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol or Robin Lopez. But thinking of the present (now), Smith and Ajinca are cheap, efficient options, and either could be a "rental center" for this season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Next Move (if any): Go after Jason Smith? Alexis Ajinca (S&T)?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:52:05 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I still think the rental center to go after is Oden. Worth a flyer at minimum IMO.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
we're not going to trade for garbage unless we get picks in return.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:23:14 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Pelicans would love to dump Ajinca for one of the unguaranteed minimum contract guys to make the Omer Asik trade easier.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:39:33 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64
I still think the rental center to go after is Oden. Worth a flyer at minimum IMO.

Instead of renting Oden... why not divide the PT between Fav and Zeller..
both player need it to show what they got..
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think he's only worth a flyer if you would be interested in handing him a three-year guaranteed contract next summer should he be healthy and play great.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Ditto.  Put him on the 5-5-5 plan and let's see what happens!  I'm a broken record in regards to this topic, haha.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:05:23 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Go HARD on Jason Smith.

Will give you good 20 minutes of production in the Center spot. Solid mid range game and shot blocking.

#JaSIGNSmith.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:34:01 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Jason Smith would be a bargain get for this team. Any type of size and mobility seems to be quite align with every big-man (minus jared) already on this team. So why not keep up the steady wave of mobile big-men?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:44:39 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
and anyone that tackles Blake Griffin is someone i'd like on my team.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Another option is a S&T with the Pelicans for Alexis Ajinca. The Pelicans expressed interest in Humphries, and so maybe we can use Kris Humphries in a S&T with the Pelicans to acquire Ajinca and another possible asset or pick?

Both players can come for fairly cheap, and if we get Smith we could use some of the MLE on his contract, which would likely be short term if he did sign. Smith earned 2M last year, Ajinca around $900,000.

How are the Water Fowl feeling about Eric Gordon these days? Are they back happy with him again? Instead of a S&T of Ajinca for minimal cap relief, I'd rather see the C's Swing Gordon to Minny for Love as part of a three-team deal. The C's could send back one of their mid-tier SGs, some picks, and some expiring contract-matcher(s).

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

Everyone like to have Blake on their team, but he's untoucheable accdg to Rivers, only Jordan can be traded I heard
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Everyone like to have Blake on their team, but he's untoucheable accdg to Rivers, only Jordan can be traded I heard

He was speaking literally

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

How are the Water Fowl feeling about Eric Gordon these days? Are they back happy with him again? Instead of a S&T of Ajinca for minimal cap relief, I'd rather see the C's Swing Gordon to Minny for Love as part of a three-team deal. The C's could send back one of their mid-tier SGs, some picks, and some expiring contract-matcher(s).

I was thinking about this as well the other day. That NO could be a third team and Gordon could be that young piece that Minni would like.

Botosn Out: KO,Bogans,Bass,Johnson,Babb
Boston In: Love,Rivers

Minni Out: Love,Martin
Minni In: Gordon,KO,Bogans Picks

NO Out:Gordon,Rivers
NO In: Bass,Johnson,Martin,Babb

Now with out all the contracts it was hard to play with the deal more. I'd have a feeling Minni would want more, and I'd be willing to give up AB and take back some of the contracts they don't want, maybe a Shabazz, and I would love to get Robinson, since Flip doesn't want a bunch of rookies.

But this would be a start, and Minni would get their young guy in Gordon, a young PF in KO with upside, and maybe AB. And an expiring contract right off the bat.

NO would get a vet SG, and a Vet PF that have been threw the playoffs and could help the young club. Johnson and Babbs can help clear some space for Asik.

Throw in some picks. It's not great, but its a starting point.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I was thinking about this as well the other day. That NO could be a third team and Gordon could be that young piece that Minni would like.

Botosn Out: KO,Bogans,Bass,Johnson,Babb
Boston In: Love,Rivers

Minni Out: Love,Martin
Minni In: Gordon,KO,Bogans Picks

NO Out:Gordon,Rivers
NO In: Bass,Johnson,Martin,Babb

Now with out all the contracts it was hard to play with the deal more. I'd have a feeling Minni would want more, and I'd be willing to give up AB and take back some of the contracts they don't want, maybe a Shabazz, and I would love to get Robinson, since Flip doesn't want a bunch of rookies.

But this would be a start, and Minni would get their young guy in Gordon, a young PF in KO with upside, and maybe AB. And an expiring contract right off the bat.

NO would get a vet SG, and a Vet PF that have been threw the playoffs and could help the young club. Johnson and Babbs can help clear some space for Asik.

Throw in some picks. It's not great, but its a starting point.

Good idea.  If we do land Love I think it could part of a 3 team deal.  Might be easier so Minny gets what it wants.  There was a 3 team deal for Love ideas thread created about a month ago.  Lots of good ideas in there.