Author Topic: Celtics shouldn't tank next year  (Read 4942 times)

Re: Celtics shouldn't tank next year
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 02:27:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I have no problem playing young guys/guys in it for the long haul and winning games and becoming a fringe playoff team.

I do have a problem with playing guys like Bass and Green who have no long term future here and winning games.

Agreed.  TP.  Bass belongs on a contender, Green needs to go to Memphis (I think he'd really thrive there), and I don't care how green he is ::) I want James Young to get plenty of minutes.  The same obviously goes for Smart, I'm just referring to the SF position here.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 02:34:49 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I have no problem playing young guys/guys in it for the long haul and winning games and becoming a fringe playoff team.

I do have a problem with playing guys like Bass and Green who have no long term future here and winning games.

Agreed.  TP.  Bass belongs on a contender, Green needs to go to Memphis (I think he'd really thrive there), and I don't care how green he is ::) I want James Young to get plenty of minutes.  The same obviously goes for Smart, I'm just referring to the SF position here.
I can't believe i am going to put myself through this again, but I am going to hold faith that Green takes the next step in his game....I am not predicting it, just hoping for it.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »

Offline danielthemaniel

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I don't know much about the guys in the 2015 draft, but based on the two guys from this thread, we could

- (make the season a) joke for oke'
- frowns for towns

I couldn't resist.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
when was the last time we had cap space to sign a significant free agent?

Better yet, when was the last time we had cap space and a good team to sign significant free agents?

The plan is to try and have that by the end of this season in one way, shape or form.
Mike Dyer did a really nice job of laying this out on celticslife.com the other day....these are his words:

So the Cs have $40 million in commitments for nine guys, and the cap is set at around $66.5 million. Obviously, this does not include Rajon Rondo, who is a free agent next summer, nor does it include their two 2015 first rounders. Pushing this exercise a little further, let's give Rondo a $16 million salary, and allot $5 million to two first round picks (around what the Celts will pay Smart/Young this year). We now have:

Rondo (estimate) - $16,000,000
Wallace - $10,105,855
Green - $9,200,000
Bradley - $8,000,000
Two 2015 1sts (estimate) - $5,000,000
Smart (approx) - $3,100,000
Zeller (option) - $2,616,975
Sullinger (option) - $2,269,260
Olynyk (option) - $2,165,160
Young (approx) - $1,600,000
Pressey (option): $947,276

Total (12 players): $61,004,526

The Celtics would suddenly have a roster with seven guys on their rookie deals, an average age of 24, a superstar in Rondo, and about $5 million in cap space. But that cap space could grow if Green declines his player option (somewhat likely to get a longer tern deal), or they move him. Suddenly the Celtics would have about $15 million in cap space for what is a loaded 2015 free agent class. And if they stretch Gerald Wallace -- lowering his cap hit from $10.1 to $3.3 million -- the Celtics would have about $21 million in space.

So, realistically, the Celtics could have:

Rondo
Bradley
Smart
Zeller
Sully
Olynyk
Young
Pressey
Two 2015 first round picks
$21 million in cap space
Three #1s in 2016
Right to flip with the Nets in 2017
Two 2018 #1s

And notice, I did absolutely nothing ridiculous. Simply re-signed Rondo to a very fair deal (something like 5/85), stretched Wallace next summer, and dumped Green between now and then. That's it.

So yes, the Celtics suddenly would have a very intriguing young roster, a star to attract free agents, and oodles of cap space.

i love the enthusiasm and the idea...but...have you see the list of free agents:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nba/2015/

Question #1: Who might truly consider coming to Boston?
Question #2: Who is game-changer that will take us to another level?
Question #3: Who might truly consider coming to Boston and is a game changer that will take us to another level?

the only game changers are lamarcus aldridge and kawhi leonard...and...they are not going anywhere...

there are some nice players but none that will put us over the top...

marc gasol/30 yrs old next yr
deandre jordan/i doubt he's leaving LA
klay thompson/i highly doubt he leaves GS
asik/29 yrs next yr
rudy gay/ 28 yrs old next yr...is he really an upgrade over green...i don't think so
millsap/ 30 yrs old next yr

i really don't see how the 2015 free agent class is loaded...

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 04:53:14 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Hard to get a read on what direction Ainge wants to go in this season, assuming roster is basically set (which is another topic of discussion).  Ainge knows how to position the Celt's for a potential top pick w/bottom 5 record in both '07 and '14.  In the abstract, I like gunning for a top pick for another year or two, but the more talent Ainge brings aboard and the more they develop, the harder it is to do.  And who knows what the owners want/think, it's up to them what direction to go in at the end of the day.  Should be an another interesting year to see how it plays out.

That's the thing there - we're at an in-between stage.  I wouldn't mind watching young players get run, and we have a nice squad of young players, but it's best for everyone to win games.

Rondo, Bradley, Green, & Bass plus a competent 5th would have a shot at 8th seed in the east.

Another star moves that group to middle of the playoff pack in a wide-open conference, though.

I'd look to make a move for a star HARD, and overypaying is okay with me. 

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 05:39:02 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I hope Wallace has something left in the tank. If he plays like last year it is indeed the fastest decline I've witnessed. He is only 31!

If he plays well, a bench of Smart, Thornton, Wallace, Kelly, Anthony/FAV becomes...less bad.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 07:58:52 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I hope Wallace has something left in the tank. If he plays like last year it is indeed the fastest decline I've witnessed. He is only 31!

If he plays well, a bench of Smart, Thornton, Wallace, Kelly, Anthony/FAV becomes...less bad.

I'm hoping Wallace is rejuvenated post-surgery.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Hard to get a read on what direction Ainge wants to go in this season, assuming roster is basically set (which is another topic of discussion).  Ainge knows how to position the Celt's for a potential top pick w/bottom 5 record in both '07 and '14.  In the abstract, I like gunning for a top pick for another year or two, but the more talent Ainge brings aboard and the more they develop, the harder it is to do.  And who knows what the owners want/think, it's up to them what direction to go in at the end of the day.  Should be an another interesting year to see how it plays out.

That's the thing there - we're at an in-between stage.  I wouldn't mind watching young players get run, and we have a nice squad of young players, but it's best for everyone to win games.

Rondo, Bradley, Green, & Bass plus a competent 5th would have a shot at 8th seed in the east.

Another star moves that group to middle of the playoff pack in a wide-open conference, though.

I'd look to make a move for a star HARD, and overypaying is okay with me.

I can't see Bass here next year--or starting if he is.

Danny gets to swap picks with the Nets a year later, so next year, if nothing major comes through this summer, is really his last chance to let the C's be terrible for the sake of draft position. We can see where that strategy has already allowed Philly to load up on talent. Being bad is how Cleveland got a chance to be really good, and Chicago is reaping the benefits now of 10 straight years with upper lottery positions.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I can't believe i am going to put myself through this again, but I am going to hold faith that Green takes the next step in his game....I am not predicting it, just hoping for it.

ahh, welcome to denial!

he's in his what? 7th, 8th season? he is what he is, there is no growth spurt left to his game.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Better yet, when was the last time we had cap space and a good team to sign significant free agents?

The plan is to try and have that by the end of this season in one way, shape or form.
Mike Dyer did a really nice job of laying this out on celticslife.com the other day....these are his words:

So the Cs have $40 million in commitments for nine guys, and the cap is set at around $66.5 million. Obviously, this does not include Rajon Rondo, who is a free agent next summer, nor does it include their two 2015 first rounders. Pushing this exercise a little further, let's give Rondo a $16 million salary, and allot $5 million to two first round picks (around what the Celts will pay Smart/Young this year). We now have:

Wallace - $10,105,855
Green - $9,200,000
Bradley - $8,000,000

The Celtics would suddenly have a roster with seven guys on their rookie deals, an average age of 24, a superstar in Rondo, and about $5 million in cap space. But that cap space could grow if Green declines his player option (somewhat likely to get a longer tern deal), or they move him. Suddenly the Celtics would have about $15 million in cap space for what is a loaded 2015 free agent class. And if they stretch Gerald Wallace -- lowering his cap hit from $10.1 to $3.3 million -- the Celtics would have about $21 million in space.

Rondo
Bradley
Smart
Zeller
Sully
Olynyk
Young
Pressey
$21 million in cap space
Three #1s in 2016
Two 2018 #1s

And notice, I did absolutely nothing ridiculous. Simply re-signed Rondo to a very fair deal (something like 5/85), stretched Wallace next summer, and dumped Green between now and then. That's it.

So yes, the Celtics suddenly would have a very intriguing young roster, a star to attract free agents, and oodles of cap space.

I think Rondo is going to command more than 15 mm.  More like $20mm per year.

Doubt Green opts out either. 

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
They need to tank, and tank hard.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Wallace - $10,105,855
Green - $9,200,000
Bradley - $8,000,000

Rondo
Bradley
Smart
Zeller
Sully
Olynyk
Young
Pressey
$21 million in cap space
Three #1s in 2016
Two 2018 #1s

I think Rondo is going to command more than 15 mm.  More like $20mm per year.

Doubt Green opts out either.

I hope you are right.  If Rondo has a $20million season, this team is going to look very good. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson