Author Topic: Detroit as a trade partner?  (Read 6705 times)

Detroit as a trade partner?
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Does anyone else think Detroit's a good trade partner for us?

The Josh Smith experiment at SF has failed miserably. His position is power forward. His contract is such an albatross that I think that they would almost give him away.

They have to make a decision to either commit to Monroe or keep Josh Smith, keeping both at the $$$ it's gonna take is far too much to tie up in one position.

I'm up for either Monroe in a sign and trade or  get Smith to get rid of Wallace's contract.

First Smith, Rondo's buddy. I know all the hate on this board for Josh Smith. Yah he takes some really crappy shots pretty frequently. but I think that Rondo/Stevens/Ainge can reel him in both literally (playing closer to the basket) and figuratively (by making him make better basketball decisions).

Getting Smith in combination with Rondo could be the lure to get another quality player to come here as well as rid us of Wallace's contract. In addition, it would make Rondo happy and more likely to stay. The main problem for us here is the addition of another PF: Smith/Sully/KO/Bass. Obviously more moves need to be made by us to lure that third piece.

Again, I think Smith could be had for cheap. E.g. Wallace, Bogans and a pick, like the Clips pick next year. Detroit gets a 1st, saves $20 million over the next 3 years and cuts Bogans to save even more $$$. More importantly for them, they have the $$$ to commit to Monroe and go forward with Monroe/Drummond, which I think is what they should have done in the first place.

Now, Monroe. If we were to get Monroe in a sign and trade, Rondo probably would have to be included in the trade, and this would make sense for both sides. Rondo and Smith could be together, and Smith could play his natural PF position. Detroit would most likely want to dump Jennings and would need a wing.

Rondo and Green and Bass and the Clips first if necessary for a S&T'd Monroe, Jennings and Pope could work for both sides. Detroit gets something for Monroe rather than nothing at all, even if Rondo leaves next year (which may not happen playing with his buddy Smith) a good natural value wing in Green and a veteran PF in Bass as well as getting out from Jennings contract. They immediately become a playoff team.

We get very young, but with some talent. We add a defensive center when we can, this year or next.

Jennings/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Pope
Wallace/Young
KO/Sully
Monroe/Zeller/Fav

I think Detroit needs to make a move and we should accommodate them somehow. Take advantage of them, Danny.

Re: Detroit as a trade partner?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Jennings Bradley Wallace KO Monroe would be a 5 win team, god no

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Question - why would we want to take on an albatross of a contract for cheap, haha?  Josh Smith, in terms of his athleticism and skill level, especially passing, is almost like KG, but with Javale McGee's brain lol ;D  The 'decisions' that this guy makes on the court at times are just beyond comprehension.  He takes too many midrange jumpers at inopportune times and misses more than his fair share of them, and, come to think of it, I can't ever remember seeing him play in the post.  Seriously, can he even do that? 

Defensively, like KG, he's a great shot blocker who can also step out and guard small forwards, but I don't think that that's an area we need to currently address.  Jennings has a horrible fg%, although he is a pretty good shooter (maybe he just takes too many bad shots?), but he's not really a pg, imo.  I know he's younger, but I'll take Rondo over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  As for Pope, isn't he the guy who's been blowing up the summer league?  Why would they trade him?

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:02:25 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'll take the Monroe route.  And Pass on the Smith idea.  I think Monroe would be a nice fit for BS offense with his passing skills.  Monroe is a solid Center, not a shot blocker but has everything else including legit size..
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:42:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we are dumping Wallace, then sure, that would make sense. It should also keep Rondo around. I agree, Smith isn't amazing and we would need an all-star center with a trade using KO or Sully, but I guess I could get behind this. No way on a Rondo for Monroe trade.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I just checked, and Smith got $54 million over 4 years :o  No wonder Dumars is gone haha.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:15:18 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'll take the Monroe route.  And Pass on the Smith idea.  I think Monroe would be a nice fit for BS offense with his passing skills.  Monroe is a solid Center, not a shot blocker but has everything else including legit size..

I like Monroe, too.  If you could trade Sully for Monroe, would you do it?  I most likely would.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'd take Josh Smith on the Celtics very happily...

For Wallace and Bass.

And we'd have a puncher's chance and a fun team next year, a gritty defense squad with Bradley, Green, and Smith at the 2-3-4 spots.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:11:04 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
2 unprotected 1st and Monroe for Rondo seems good. I'd pass on Smith.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 04:22:52 AM »

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

For Wallace and Bass.

And we'd have a puncher's chance and a fun team next year, a gritty defense squad with Bradley, Green, and Smith at the 2-3-4 spots.

I thought Smith is going to the Sacramento... but haven't heard any news about the signing..
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:49:25 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I don't see Wallace being moved until next year's trade deadline at the earliest.  The longer we keep him, the closer he gets to the end of that valuable expiring contract.  In the meantime, hopefully he can put in some meaningful minutes on the court.

While it would be nice to get Monroe, it wouldn't be worth it if it cost us Rondo.  I really don't believe that Ainge has any desire to trade Rondo at this point.  If the season bottoms out, and things change closer to the trade deadline where Rondo feels a new start would be the best thing for his career...that's different.  But I believe right now that both men are committed to him wearing the green jersey for several more years to come.

Rak

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd take Monroe in a heartbeat.

The deal to push on them is Rondo + some picks for Drummond and Jennings!

We go all in young.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

For Wallace and Bass.

+1....and include Rondo/Smart at the 1.....wow...that's a defensive nightmare for any team

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 12:02:03 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Josh - AW2.0- Smith is a cancer.

No thank you.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think the only deal I'd be open to is something around Jeff Green for Greg Monroe S&T.

Boston would certainly have to add more though and that's where it gets tricky. Not sure exactly how much more I'd want to add.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.