Author Topic: "Assets"  (Read 5704 times)

Re: "Assets"
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
so what the H are we doing?

Refusing to make a move for the sake of making a move like a panicking idiot.

dumping bass, green & Wallace for just about anything isn't panicking. it's getting better by subtraction.

we know for a fact bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers. so clearly Danny wants to move on from these guys, i'm just saying maybe we need to lower the price on these guys that's all.

How exactly do you know for a fact that bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers? Do you have quotes from Danny saying that, or maybe from those players or their agents?

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Green is severely underrated on this board. Dude is a starting caliber SF. He's far from the best but we're not paying him max contract money either.

Wallace and Bass, i could do without.

Green is not a starter. we saw his best when he was a scoring threat coming off the bench on a veteran, contending team. that's what he is.

Because Pierce is a perennial all-star and a HoF-er.

Just because a player isn't an all-star doesn't mean he's not a quality starter. Just because he can't carry a team offensively night in and night out doesn't mean he's not a quality starter. Jeff Green is pretty much in the middle ground of starting SF's. He's not in the top 10 but he's definitely in the top 20.
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

dumping bass, green & Wallace for just about anything isn't panicking. it's getting better by subtraction.

we know for a fact bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers. so clearly Danny wants to move on from these guys, i'm just saying maybe we need to lower the price on these guys that's all.

How exactly do you know for a fact that bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers? Do you have quotes from Danny saying that, or maybe from those players or their agents?

i'm sure it's on the net somewhere but I remember Ainge saying they tried to move Green.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
Green is severely underrated on this board. Dude is a starting caliber SF. He's far from the best but we're not paying him max contract money either.

Green is not a starter. we saw his best when he was a scoring threat coming off the bench on a veteran, contending team. that's what he is.

Just because a player isn't an all-star doesn't mean he's not a quality starter. Just because he can't carry a team offensively night in and night out doesn't mean he's not a quality starter. Jeff Green is pretty much in the middle ground of starting SF's. He's not in the top 10 but he's definitely in the top 20.

just because a guy explodes for 40 games once or twice a season doesn't make him a starter. the point I was trying to make with green was he's a more effective player coming off the bench on a veteran team. he's not a starter in this league, he's better suited as a 6th man and there's nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Why do we have to have a quote from anyone to believe its true? Why would we believe everything Ainge says or any player for that matter is true when they're saying it to the media? As fans we all have little to no inside knowledge so we have to make assumptions. I don't think its far fetched to believe DA tried to move Green and Bass at least once since they've been here. Bass especially, as he doesn't fit this team.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

just because a guy explodes for 40 games once or twice a season doesn't make him a starter. the point I was trying to make with green was he's a more effective player coming off the bench on a veteran team. he's not a starter in this league, he's better suited as a 6th man and there's nothing wrong with that.That's what I thought. So our only chance would be if Phil Jackson of all people would trade Melo within his division to the celtics with minimal return.

Green is easily a starting caliber forward in this league. Im surprised anyone would even debate this. Both his offense and his defense are starting caliber levels. We also have him at a good price compared to what other players are getting this summer.

Now of you are trying to compare him to players that average 18-20 points per game, then you are wrong on your definition of starting caliber. Those players are all-stars, which Green is not. There are no teams in modern nba history that start 5 all-stars.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

just because a guy explodes for 40 games once or twice a season doesn't make him a starter. the point I was trying to make with green was he's a more effective player coming off the bench on a veteran team. he's not a starter in this league, he's better suited as a 6th man and there's nothing wrong with that.That's what I thought. So our only chance would be if Phil Jackson of all people would trade Melo within his division to the celtics with minimal return.

Green is easily a starting caliber forward in this league. Im surprised anyone would even debate this. Both his offense and his defense are starting caliber levels. We also have him at a good price compared to what other players are getting this summer.

Now of you are trying to compare him to players that average 18-20 points per game, then you are wrong on your definition of starting caliber. Those players are all-stars, which Green is not. There are no teams in modern nba history that start 5 all-stars.

Yeah I would say Green's best role is sixth man as he doesn't rebound or pass well for his position. He is a streaky scorer and a good man defender, perfect guy to pull off the bench. Also, Detroit came close to starting 5 all stars, they had four one year didn't they? As did we one year.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

just because a guy explodes for 40 games once or twice a season doesn't make him a starter. the point I was trying to make with green was he's a more effective player coming off the bench on a veteran team. he's not a starter in this league, he's better suited as a 6th man and there's nothing wrong with that.

i realize that's probably a common pro-Green argument but you'll notice i didn't mention that or insinuate that at all.

He's an average, top 15-20 SF in the league. That's a starter.

- LilRip

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

i realize that's probably a common pro-Green argument but you'll notice i didn't mention that or insinuate that at all.

ok, ill put it this way. on a good team he's coming off the bench, on a bad team he's a starter.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Why do we have to have a quote from anyone to believe its true? Why would we believe everything Ainge says or any player for that matter is true when they're saying it to the media? As fans we all have little to no inside knowledge so we have to make assumptions. I don't think its far fetched to believe DA tried to move Green and Bass at least once since they've been here. Bass especially, as he doesn't fit this team.

You can believe whatever you want and make whatever assumptions you want. But people should understand that's what they're doing. He doesn't know anything for a fact, but he doesn't understand it. The whole thread's about the value of our "assets", but that value is based on whichever of the many rumors that are around that the poster chooses to believe. It might not be far fetched to believe that Danny may have tried to move Green at least once, but you should be able to differentiate that from "we know for a fact that Green's been offered  in numerous trades since the last trade deadline and there have been no takers".

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
We are a rebuilding team so we don't have very many front line assets.  Rondo I think is in that discussion depending on how you want to interpret that but he is not in the group with Love, Bosh, etc.

Value of a basketball asset is dynamic, especially rookies and young players.  Because we have a lot of young players and future draft picks, the odds are that a percentage of these will have rising value while others will not.  Drafting is a crap-shoot so that is why it is good that we have so many pick.  Maybe Young surprises and is good, maybe Smart hits a low ceiling.  Maybe Olynyk goes up, Sullinger down (you get the idea).

I think that is why DA seems to be trying to grab every pick and young player he can; it is increasing the odds of ending up with some good ones.

Rondo's value is the big wild card though.  Even here on this Blog you hear anything from trade him for Chris Paul to he is washed up and we are going to get nothing of value for him or out of him.  Rondo is the asset that we really need to play right.  I feel like we should trade him; Nash+Randle, McLemore+???, maybe Hibbert (then flip Hibbert to Cleve).  I don't know.  I guess there is a chance that he plays so well we get even more during the season but I have my doubts.

I am also still for cashing in some assets now and getting Love if there is any chance of that (which there probably is not).

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

ok, ill put it this way. on a good team he's coming off the bench, on a bad team he's a starter.

Start looking at teams that have gotten to conference finals in the last 5 years or so. You'll be shocked to see some of the players who start for them.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

Yeah I would say Green's best role is sixth man as he doesn't rebound or pass well for his position. He is a streaky scorer and a good man defender, perfect guy to pull off the bench. Also, Detroit came close to starting 5 all stars, they had four one year didn't they? As did we one year.

Coming close to starting 5 all-stars is not the same as starting 5 all-stars.

Besides, Prince was the odd man out of that Pistons team and he was a starting caliber SF. On that year, he averaged 14.4ppg, 4.3rpg, 2.3apg, 0.8spg and 0.5bpg per 36 minutes.

You know which Celtic posted similar (if not slightly better) stats to Prince? I'll give you one guess.

- LilRip

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

if by good team you mean a team with Lebron or Durant, then yes. He's coming off the bench.

But on another playoff team? Jeff Green would likely be starting for the Bulls (Dunleavy), Bobcats (MKG), Raptors (Ross), Grizzlies (Allen/Lee/Mike Miller), and Clippers (Barnes) and it'd be a toss up between the Rockets (Parsons), Wizards (Ariza), Hawks (Carroll), and Mavs (Marion).

- LilRip

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown

Coming close to starting 5 all-stars is not the same as starting 5 all-stars.

Besides, Prince was the odd man out of that Pistons team and he was a starting caliber SF. On that year, he averaged 14.4ppg, 4.3rpg, 2.3apg, 0.8spg and 0.5bpg per 36 minutes.

You know which Celtic posted similar (if not slightly better) stats to Prince? I'll give you one guess.

Then I guess the term "starting caliber" doesn't really mean all that much. We should be talking about his role on the team or what "option" he is, which I know is a term a lot of poster hate around here as well. I think the point stands though, that Green is not suited to be a teams go to guy. Green is a streaky scorer who I don't think should be relied upon as one of a teams top players.