Author Topic: "Assets"  (Read 5705 times)

"Assets"
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
it's a word that's come up since last yr. and will for quite some time. I think we have a lot of 'em, from expiring contracts in the next couple yrs. to draft picks that aren't protected that could potentially be very high picks. a few young guys that aren't anything yet but in a couple yrs. they could be considered assets. or by that time they could be considered cornerstones. 

and finally Rondo. the only player right now possibly worth anything on this roster and even that is minimal because of the injury. if he struggles this yr. he will be worthless and not even worth trading.

are all of these actually assets anymore? I think they should have been but no one else in the league did or doesn't apparently. they're only assets if someone else value's them. so what the H are we doing? I think it's time Danny just lowers the asking price(if there is one) for guys like green, bass & Wallace and just be done with them, they're nothing, they do nothing for this team's present or future.

Re: "Assets"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

Offline Celtsfan92

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Asking price isn't high for Wallace, we'd probably have to actually give up picks to get anyone to take him. It's such a bad contract and he just can't perform to that level anymore.

Also, there's no reason to get rid of bass. If someone comes along and is willing to give you a late first then sure that's great, but he's their best defensive player, the main big man holdover from the KG team ( and that holds a lot of weight in that locker room, not to mention he's very wise, well respected, and looked up to), and he's an expiring contract so he's not on the books anyone.

I get wanting playing time for the young guys. I do. But no reason he can't play right now and help teach them. Just my thoughts on that, bc it seems a lot of people here are desperate to get rid of him

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
so what the H are we doing?

Refusing to make a move for the sake of making a move like a panicking idiot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:22:48 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm sure many teams like our "assets", but it seems like Danny has certain targets (Love)  and he's not going to make trades just for kicks and giggles.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:30:50 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
It sounds like they are willing to get rid of Green, Bass and Wallace, considering they tried to trade Bass into GSW's TPE.

This seems like such a unique offseason. No one is really looking to tear it down, and our assets are gauged to meet that kind of need. Every team is either gunning for the postseason or has already begun their rebuild.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It sounds like they are willing to get rid of Green, Bass and Wallace, considering they tried to trade Bass into GSW's TPE.

I suspect the thing that killed a potential Bass deal to Golden State was concern over the luxury tax.  It's a trade that might have been done under the previous CBA.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
it's a word that's come up since last yr. and will for quite some time. I think we have a lot of 'em, from expiring contracts in the next couple yrs. to draft picks that aren't protected that could potentially be very high picks. a few young guys that aren't anything yet but in a couple yrs. they could be considered assets. or by that time they could be considered cornerstones. 

and finally Rondo. the only player right now possibly worth anything on this roster and even that is minimal because of the injury. if he struggles this yr. he will be worthless and not even worth trading.

are all of these actually assets anymore? I think they should have been but no one else in the league did or doesn't apparently. they're only assets if someone else value's them. so what the H are we doing? I think it's time Danny just lowers the asking price(if there is one) for guys like green, bass & Wallace and just be done with them, they're nothing, they do nothing for this team's present or future.

Bass would probably be gone if Danny got offered anything of remote value in return, but there is no real point in giving him away for nothing  because he is an expiring contact this year anyway...if nobody wants him, may as well let his contact expire and come off the books next offseason.

Wallace is useless.  He only in his early 30's, but he looks and plays like he's 38.  He's just coming off a major injury.  He cannot score to save his life, and is a turnover beast.  He has become an average rebounder.  His defense is now is merely 'decent' - even that isn't good enough for him to earn a legit role on a team.  The guy is owed $10M this year and next.  We just need to accept, he's not going anywhere.  No team is taking that contract unless we basically PAY them to take it by offering them so many assets that they can't say no - basically exactly what Brooklyn did to convince us to take him.  We may as well keep him.  Next year he one year from now he becomes a $10M expiring contact and should be pretty easy to move, so all we need to do is put up with him for one season.

Green is far from useless on this team, and I'm starting to get the feeling (more and more) that he is the most undervalued playeron this roster.  True, he's on a $9M contract and we could use cap space.  True, he's no superstar.  True, he's not 19 years old.  So what? Green is still the best offensive player on this team until somebody (Olynyk? Smart? Thornton? Bradley?) rises up and takes that position.  He's still the only guy on this team who can legitimately defend guys like Lebron, Melo and Durant.  He's still one of the only guys on the team who has not missed a single game in the 2-3 seasons.  He's still the only starting calibre SF we have on this team.  Considering all of the above, $9M is a relatively modest amout.  It's not enough cap space to bring in a star, and anybody that we could sign for $9M (or get in return for Green) would likely be no better than Green.  Even Lance Stephenson (It's arguable whether he is better than Green) wants over $10M.  Avery Bradley just got $8M. Deng is likely to get $10M and is no better than Green.  Basically he is the best player available at the SF position for his price tag, and he's a good locker room guy who can hit big shots...may as well keep him.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

Bass would probably be gone if Danny got offered anything of remote value in return, but there is no real point in giving him away for nothing  because he is an expiring contact this year anyway...if nobody wants him, may as well let his contact expire and come off the books next offseason.

Wallace is useless.  He only in his early 30's, but he looks and plays like he's 38.  He's just coming off a major injury.  He cannot score to save his life, and is a turnover beast.  He has become an average rebounder.  His defense is now is merely 'decent' - even that isn't good enough for him to earn a legit role on a team.  The guy is owed $10M this year and next.  We just need to accept, he's not going anywhere.  No team is taking that contract unless we basically PAY them to take it by offering them so many assets that they can't say no - basically exactly what Brooklyn did to convince us to take him.  We may as well keep him.  Next year he one year from now he becomes a $10M expiring contact and should be pretty easy to move, so all we need to do is put up with him for one season.

Green is far from useless on this team, and I'm starting to get the feeling (more and more) that he is the most undervalued playeron this roster.  True, he's on a $9M contract and we could use cap space.  True, he's no superstar.  True, he's not 19 years old.  So what? Green is still the best offensive player on this team until somebody (Olynyk? Smart? Thornton? Bradley?) rises up and takes that position.  He's still the only guy on this team who can legitimately defend guys like Lebron, Melo and Durant.  He's still one of the only guys on the team who has not missed a single game in the 2-3 seasons.  He's still the only starting calibre SF we have on this team.  Considering all of the above, $9M is a relatively modest amout.  It's not enough cap space to bring in a star, and anybody that we could sign for $9M (or get in return for Green) would likely be no better than Green.  Even Lance Stephenson (It's arguable whether he is better than Green) wants over $10M.  Avery Bradley just got $8M. Deng is likely to get $10M and is no better than Green.  Basically he is the best player available at the SF position for his price tag, and he's a good locker room guy who can hit big shots...may as well keep him.

Except here's the issue with Green, he can opt out after this year, and maybe sign somewhere
else for bigger $$$. I can see the Wizards offering him a nice deal if they dont trade for him. You wanna give Jeff Green 10 mil per for 4 years ?  Not me, then you have almost 20 million tied up in Jeff Green and Avery Bradley??  No thanks, we dont any get better that way.  If you can get something good for Green you do it now, especially if we are on the 3 to 5 year plan which is where this is headed I think.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

dumping bass, green & Wallace for just about anything isn't panicking. it's getting better by subtraction.

we know for a fact bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers. so clearly Danny wants to move on from these guys, i'm just saying maybe we need to lower the price on these guys that's all. 

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Green is severely underrated on this board. Dude is a starting caliber SF. He's far from the best but we're not paying him max contract money either.

Wallace and Bass, i could do without.
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

dumping bass, green & Wallace for just about anything isn't panicking. it's getting better by subtraction.

we know for a fact bass and green have been offered in numerous trades since last yr's trade deadline and there were no takers. so clearly Danny wants to move on from these guys, i'm just saying maybe we need to lower the price on these guys that's all.

That's just not true.  The Rockets did want Bass at the trade deadline and Green has value although limited.   Bass and Green are quality players and you don't just give them away. 

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

That's just not true.  The Rockets did want Bass at the trade deadline and Green has value although limited.   Bass and Green are quality players and you don't just give them away.

if the Rockets really did want Bass he'd be playing for them.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
Green is severely underrated on this board. Dude is a starting caliber SF. He's far from the best but we're not paying him max contract money either.

Wallace and Bass, i could do without.

Green is not a starter. we saw his best when he was a scoring threat coming off the bench on a veteran, contending team. that's what he is.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The problem with Bass and Wallace is they are good enough on a young team to compete for starting minutes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird