Author Topic: Lebrons deal is only for 2 years, with an opt out after this year  (Read 4688 times)

Re: Lebrons deal is only for 2 years, with an opt out after this year
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 06:35:03 PM »

Offline nicknorman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Not only will it set him up for max contract, but if Blatt stinks as his coach, he will probably have a bigger role in choosing the coach and forcing Blatt out. I know Spoelstra probably would jump at the bits to move north to coach his binky.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
LeBron's simply making a smart business move. TV deals may potentially see the NBA's cap being lifted even more by 2016, where LeBron can then sign an even more lucrative contract.
Is LeBron's max contract not tied to cap? A fixed percentage rather than fixed sum.

Higher cap = max contract increases proportionally with it.

Is that correct? 

Max contracts for a player of Lebron's tenure are 35% of BRI, which is slightly less than 35% of the salary cap. They use a slightly different calculation to get the percentage.

Lebron can get 105% above his last yearly contract, plus this annual 4.5% raises. He basically is betting the league revenue will go up by more than 14% in two years. He might be right.

Edit: Actually, the 5% for new contract doesn't matter. So he is betting against about 9.7%.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:46:06 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Lebron said in his letter he wont go anywhere except cleveland. theres no point in leaving, it wouldnt make him happy as he said.

he's doing this to maximize salary. the goal of re-signing with the Cavs before the 2016-17 season when a new television deal is expected to create a large jump in value of the maximum contract.
This is accurate

But not detailed. There's an opt out NEXT year. That's huge. That had nothing to do with leveraging the cap and everything to do with leveraging Gilbert.

You guys beat me to it.  The ability to opt out after one year?  One year? :o  Yeah, I can see now just how worried he was about being labeled a mercenary (sarcasm).  Unbelievable.  This guy is beyond ridiculous - I don't care what he wrote in some dumb letter, haha.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Lebron said in his letter he wont go anywhere except cleveland. theres no point in leaving, it wouldnt make him happy as he said.

he's doing this to maximize salary. the goal of re-signing with the Cavs before the 2016-17 season when a new television deal is expected to create a large jump in value of the maximum contract.
This is accurate

But not detailed. There's an opt out NEXT year. That's huge. That had nothing to do with leveraging the cap and everything to do with leveraging Gilbert.

You guys beat me to it.  The ability to opt out after one year?  One year? :o  Yeah, I can see now just how worried he was about being labeled a mercenary (sarcasm).  Unbelievable.  This guy is beyond ridiculous - I don't care what he wrote in some dumb letter, haha.
How do we even know those words were not written FOR HIM. I know I am a cynic, but in this case Lebron is most def motivated by self interest. I bet he hired someone and gave them some talking points.....

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 01:00:22 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Wow the over-analysis of his contract on this blog is disturbing. How can ESPN not eat it up if even Celtics fans keep on talking about the guy?? They know fans would read and watch. Then the same fans complain!
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

This is accurate

How do we even know those words were not written FOR HIM. I know I am a cynic, but in this case Lebron is most def motivated by self interest. I bet he hired someone and gave them some talking points.....

Hey now, I'm a cynic too ;D  At the end of the day, though, it's still his decision as to whether or not he should sign the contract.  I foolishly thought it would be more of a long term deal, but shame on me haha.  I mean, how would you describe that to your fans in Cleveland if you were him right now?  "Hey guys, I'm home!  I might have to leave again, though.  I gotta go check on a thing," ::)

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Does Cleveland retain his Bird Rights after an expiring 2 year deal? I thought it had to be 3 years?
Miami and Cleveland will likely work out a sign and trade, otherwise the Cavs have to maintain cap flexibility for 2 consecutive years
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 02:20:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Not only will it set him up for max contract, but if Blatt stinks as his coach, he will probably have a bigger role in choosing the coach and forcing Blatt out. I know Spoelstra probably would jump at the bits to move north to coach his binky.

I thought that Wade was his binky ;D  God, if Spoelstra actually left, Wade would definitely need his binky hahaha ;D  Cue the gif!

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 05:29:36 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
i understand all those points, but there were also very compelling reasons for why he wouldnt leave Miami or why he wouldnt leave Cleveland in 2010.

I'm sure it's most likely he'll stay but if that team ends up being a dumpster fire whether it be the rookie coach, injuries, or whatever, you dont think hes got it in the back of his mind that he can just take off again.  ESPN will eat this stuff up, no matter what the angle is, thats the most irritating part of it for me I guess.

I do not really see a compelling reason for him to have stayed in Miami. Going to Miami was a mistake in the first place, he got a chance at redemption and he took it. The four years in Miami will always be a stain on his career. I see he is trying to deal with it with humility (that he went to Miami to learn how to win). Hmmm I don't know about that, but that is probably the best spin on his quest for redemption.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
i understand all those points, but there were also very compelling reasons for why he wouldnt leave Miami or why he wouldnt leave Cleveland in 2010.

I'm sure it's most likely he'll stay but if that team ends up being a dumpster fire whether it be the rookie coach, injuries, or whatever, you dont think hes got it in the back of his mind that he can just take off again.  ESPN will eat this stuff up, no matter what the angle is, thats the most irritating part of it for me I guess.

I do not really see a compelling reason for him to have stayed in Miami. Going to Miami was a mistake in the first place, he got a chance at redemption and he took it. The four years in Miami will always be a stain on his career. I see he is trying to deal with it with humility (that he went to Miami to learn how to win). Hmmm I don't know about that, but that is probably the best spin on his quest for redemption.

Why would his time in Miami and two championships in four years be a stain? IMO it's only the manner of his departure, with "The Decision", that was embarrassing, and his return has done a pretty good job of fading any mark left from that.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:26 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Because it affect him negatively in comparisons to MJ who stuck it out with one team through adversity until he brought them multiple championships. He did not run away to play second fiddle to another future HOF on that HOFer's team. Just a little taint on his legacy. This is why I believed he had to go back to Cleveland, and called it while everyone was waiting for the 'news'.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 07:01:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Because it affect him negatively in comparisons to MJ who stuck it out with one team through adversity until he brought them multiple championships. He did not run away to play second fiddle to another future HOF on that HOFer's team. Just a little taint on his legacy. This is why I believed he had to go back to Cleveland, and called it while everyone was waiting for the 'news'.

If Jordan didn't have Pippen he might have left Chicago too.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

If Jordan didn't have Pippen he might have left Chicago too.

he very well may have. but signing a max deal in Cleveland isn't a great way to get a Pippen.