Author Topic: Lakers are a mess  (Read 4542 times)

Re: Lakers are a mess
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
so, as i understand it, the lakers next year have around $42 million of their payroll tied up in three players:

- aging kobe,
- steve "the corpse" nash, and,
- jeremy lin, who has averaged 13 points and 5 assists the last two seasons.

i am so happy right now.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
so, you have Kobe making 20 million$ a year.

They just lost out on the melo sweepstakes, and now Gasol is out the door. what do the Lakers do next? Also, they dont have any assets really to make any significant trades. and there arent many top free agents out on the market anymore.

in a way I kind of feel bad for Kobe(actually I dont because his contract is rediculous) that he is going to play his last few years on a middling-bad team.

23.5 million and then 25 million, that's a lot worse than 20 million bro.

This is not Me. Anyone that is impersonating me should stop. I never made this Account. Remove the Picture immediately. Mods please Disable this Account.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I've been saying this for 2 weeks, it's great HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

They wont  be a legit team the rest of Kobe's career, no more Pau Gasol for a box of donuts trades, time for them to suffer!!!!!

Like to see them getting bad lottery picks for the next 5 years.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
But I am surprise that Melo did not pick the Lakers...like to know what Phil promise him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
The only thing Lakers fans have to look forward to is Julius Randle. He's the only Laker I've liked since Shaq. But heres to hoping they have a long long long long drought.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

Offline thehumburger

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Sorry to be so cynical but the Lakers will always be fine because all they need is cap space.  I get that it's not working out for them this off-season but that is an aberration.  Lakers will put 2 top ten players on the court together within 5 years. They haven't gone 5 years without having the best plyer in the league or 2-3 top 10 players since they moved to LA.  Compare that with every other team in the league.  The lakers GM job is the easiest in all major sports -- clear space, get your guy.  They stupidly overpaid Kobe but worst case that will hurt them for 2 years. 

Unfortunately, they'll be fine.

Nah it's not that easy. LA hasn't signed a top 10 free agent since Shaq in the mid/late 90s. The whole "some teams attract major free agents easier than others" is way overblown as those types of free agents simply don't move that often. The next top 10 free agent to move after Shaq was LeBron, almost 15 years later. And it's even more difficult now with the new CBA. If you want one chances are you have to draft or trade for one, and the Lakers don't have many assets to trade right now. I think there's a good chance they could be in for a bit of a drought.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
They're just treading water to summer '16.

That's when they're gonna try & strike, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
And a hot one, at that.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say ALOT of players does not want to play with Kobe
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't like it when traditional teams like the Lakers or Knicks are struggling. I much prefer seeing them do well than new teams like Orlando or Oklahoma.

I find it to be hilarious and gratifying when they are struggling.
I think the league is better when the Lakers are good.  I like to have villains to root against, and it's hard to get very excited watching teams beat a crappy Lakers team.

I'm actually going to miss Miami as they were constructed because they were the ultimate villains.  But now I guess I have another team to root against- the Cavs.  Sure, Lebron joining them again is a feel good story, but I'm sure the team will become annoying to me pretty quickly.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
But I am surprise that Melo did not pick the Lakers...like to know what Phil promise him

They could offer more money. Knicks made Anthony a maximum contract offer of $129 million over five years and the Lakers put out $96 million over four years.  Some people prefer NYC over LA too. I think his wife does IIRC.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't like it when traditional teams like the Lakers or Knicks are struggling. I much prefer seeing them do well than new teams like Orlando or Oklahoma.

It's nice to see some small-market teams have success, but yeah - if you're a fan of the NBA, and want the league to have success as a whole, you need to see the core franchises doing well.  The teams that sell a lot of jerseys nationwide when they're successful, the teams that have causal fans all over the country.  Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, and Knicks are the four that come to mind; the league is better when those teams are relevant. 

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
so, as i understand it, the lakers next year have around $42 million of their payroll tied up in three players:

- aging kobe,

And on top of all that, they have mike no d anthony handling their bench
Buahahahaha
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
I was about to make a similar thread.

I'm loving watching the Lakers pay for their arrogance.  They obviously think they can just clear out cap space and that the top free agents will automatically gravitate to their franchise because of the weather and glamour.  Screw the Lakers and their self-entitled fan base. 

However, I actually want them to acquire some decent veterans to play respectable basketball, hopefully enough to make the 8th seed and then get knocked out in the first round.  I'm not sure of their future draft status, but I don't want to see them getting any more top 10 picks.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

- aging kobe,

you forgot Nick Young think he signed up longterm lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk