Author Topic: Bill Simmons At His Absolute Best - "GOD Loves Cleveland"  (Read 2907 times)

Bill Simmons At His Absolute Best - "GOD Loves Cleveland"
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://grantland.com/features/god-loves-cleveland/

This article is a wonderful read. It's awesome. AND ITS TRUE.

Say what you want about Simmons, but I don't think anyone else could've written this. He gets it.

Just a wonderful Basketball article.

Enjoy.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Bill Simmons At His Absolute Best - "GOD Loves Cleveland"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
During Game 5 of the 2014 Finals, something happened that few people noticed because San Antonio played so wonderfully. Trailing by seven after halftime, LeBron came out for the third quarter and wouldn’t shoot. Every pass was sent with a little extra zip, as if he were telling Micky Arison and Pat Riley, here’s the team you stuck me with. Watching it in person, you could tell he was tired and p---ed, but you couldn’t tell if it was because the season was slipping away … or because of something deeper. He wasn’t openly sulking, but he wasn’t rallying everyone, either. He looked detached again. Much like Games 5 and 6 of the Boston series in 2010, actually.
my favorite part.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

"LeBron James wanted to come back to Cleveland, but he also wanted to flee Miami. His heart told him to leave, but so did his brain. And his brain works like very few brains — not just now, but ever."

"Jordan spent more time reading people than Phil Ivey."

"talked about Jordan representing the highest level of human achievement, on the order of Gandhi, Einstein or Michelangelo.” If that’s true — and I don’t think it’s far-fetched"

These guys are outstanding athletes and basketball players, not geniuses.

Stupid article

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
During Game 5 of the 2014 Finals, something happened that few people noticed because San Antonio played so wonderfully. Trailing by seven after halftime, LeBron came out for the third quarter and wouldn’t shoot. Every pass was sent with a little extra zip, as if he were telling Micky Arison and Pat Riley, here’s the team you stuck me with. Watching it in person, you could tell he was tired and p---ed, but you couldn’t tell if it was because the season was slipping away … or because of something deeper. He wasn’t openly sulking, but he wasn’t rallying everyone, either. He looked detached again. Much like Games 5 and 6 of the Boston series in 2010, actually.
my favorite part.

when you have to pay 3 guys top salary, it kind of limits what you can do with the rest of the team.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Hmm..I thought it was a bunch of hot air.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
http://grantland.com/features/god-loves-cleveland/

This article is a wonderful read. It's awesome. AND ITS TRUE.

Say what you want about Simmons, but I don't think anyone else could've written this. He gets it.

Just a wonderful Basketball article.

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting this...excellent work by Simmons.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

"LeBron James wanted to come back to Cleveland, but he also wanted to flee Miami. His heart told him to leave, but so did his brain. And his brain works like very few brains — not just now, but ever."

"talked about Jordan representing the highest level of human achievement, on the order of Gandhi, Einstein or Michelangelo.” If that’s true — and I don’t think it’s far-fetched"

Stupid article

Gerald Green is comparable athletically to Michael Jordan.  He's bigger than Jordan too.  But he's not remotely as good of a basketball player.  What's the difference?

Liked the article but it was a little fluffy, you could feel Simmons trying to make some transcendent statement about an all-time great athlete.  Agree with the gist of it though.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Stupid article

Gerald Green is comparable athletically to Michael Jordan.  He's bigger than Jordan too.  But he's not remotely as good of a basketball player.  What's the difference?

Liked the article but it was a little fluffy, you could feel Simmons trying to make some transcendent statement about an all-time great athlete.  Agree with the gist of it though.

Clearly, Jordan's genius is comparable to Einstein. 

Obviously, Lebron's brain works like few brains ever have because he decided returning to Cleveland would be good for his reputation.  It's not like half the bloggers on this site didn't already realize that.

There's no doubt their contributions to man kind will be studied for centuries like Ghandi and Michelangelo.

Simmons got carried away and shot his load all over his keyboard.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I love Bill Simmons articles. They're always spot on for me. He's like if me or one of my buddies became a nationally famous analyst/journalist. Simmons is good people.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
As much as I enjoyed the article, the Genius term is just tossed about way too cavalierly (PUN!)

These guys aren't geniuses, they are Basketball savants, they aren't curing cancer or playing Chess With Stephen Hawkings or musing on String theory.

They're just really good at Basketball.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:39:35 PM by Eric M VAN »
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".

Stupid article

Clearly, Jordan's genius is comparable to Einstein. 

Obviously, Lebron's brain works like few brains ever have because he decided returning to Cleveland would be good for his reputation.  It's not like half the bloggers on this site didn't already realize that.

There's no doubt their contributions to man kind will be studied for centuries like Ghandi and Michelangelo.

Simmons got carried away and shot his load all over his keyboard.

I missed this before I wrote about the same opinion. Agreed 100%
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Stupid article

Gerald Green isn't comparable to MJ athletically. He's nowhere near as strong.