Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony agrees to 5-year, $123 million deal with the New York Knicks  (Read 5361 times)

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
it's a nice story n' all but i'm willing to bet it had to do more with the wife than anything. the only way the knicks turn this around is through the help of generous teams willing to bail the knicks out.

his best option was Chicago, that's one team that needs an iso player.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
it's a nice story n' all but i'm willing to bet it had to do more with the wife than anything. the only way the knicks turn this around is through the help of generous teams willing to bail the knicks out.

Would you take a $60 million dollar paycut to play with the ghost of Derrick Rose?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
As an NBA fan, isn't it better to have all the top players on separate teams with the contracts proportionate to the value they add to teams?
Absolutely

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Would you take a $60 million dollar paycut to play with the ghost of Derrick Rose?

while I don't think D. Rose will ever be the same. that team is still in a better situation than NY. and judging by his statement being on a contender never truly crossed his mind like we were lead to believe. which is fine and i'm not saying he doesn't want to win in NY but we were lead to believe that winning was his goal this off-season and why he opted out.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bulls would've been a better win-now fit, but the Knicks are actually not in bad shape after this coming season.  Amar'e and Bargnani's terrible contracts and a few smaller deals all come off the books, and they should have a fair amount of cap space even with the new contract.  If they sign wisely this time they could have a good team in 15-16.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

while I don't think D. Rose will ever be the same. that team is still in a better situation than NY. and judging by his statement being on a contender never truly crossed his mind like we were lead to believe. which is fine and i'm not saying he doesn't want to win in NY but we were lead to believe that winning was his goal this off-season and why he opted out.

I don't read much into his statement since it seems a bit awkwardly composed and I get the impression that it was only released because of the response to LeBron's letter.

Re: Carmelo Anthony to sign with the New York Knicks
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Stupid move basketball wise for Melo, but so was Bosh's decision to stay in Miami. I think these guys both went for the money and the comfort of living in great places where their wives are happy.
It is amazing.
I know right who does stuff with their family in mind
I was being sarcastic....you know, like you.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

He was always going to opt out, because that's how he was going to get a better contract. That's why everyone's been opting out, it's why Rondo's opting out, LeBron did, etc. The best way to get a favorable deal under the new CBA is by opting out. That's why James opting out wasn't a sign that he was leaving Miami.

And, again -- the Bulls could have offered him about 56% of what New York could, while bringing him to a team that was better than the Knicks, but still not as good as Cle or even Indiana. Its a no brainer.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11220743

Melo didnt take the max. He gave the knicks a discount lol

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
[dang]ed if you do. Again.

People hated the Heatles.

Now they don't like when Melo stays.

Personally pretty happy that Melo, Bosh and Nowitzki are staying.

Offline beklog

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 64

The team went to playoffs without DRose, now they have Gasol and the possible return of DRose again...
Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light… I just take pictures…

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
"I want to win. I don't care about the money," Anthony told ESPN.com. "I believe Phil will do what he has to do to take care of that.

"I don't think we're that far away," he added. "People use 'rebuilding' too loosely."

what a joke

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

The team went to playoffs without DRose, now they have Gasol and the possible return of DRose again...

not to mention Mirotic and McDermott. The Bulls have a far superior roster, there is no comparison.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

not to mention Mirotic and McDermott. The Bulls have a far superior roster, there is no comparison.

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time walking away from $60 million dollars and my preferred workplace to have a better shot at something other people are going to care more about than I will.

Re: Carmelo Anthony to sign with the New York Knicks
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Stupid move basketball wise for Melo, but so was Bosh's decision to stay in Miami. I think these guys both went for the money and the comfort of living in great places where their wives are happy.

Honestly, even stupider for the Heat and Knicks organizations. They've seen what melo brought them and now he'll play with arguably the worst Knick team winces he;s been there this year. Then again this is a New York team and the Knicks
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)