Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony agrees to 5-year, $123 million deal with the New York Knicks  (Read 5367 times)

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Just a matter of hours until Carmelo Anthony informs the Knicks of his return on a five-year deal, as @FisolaNYDN reported this week.

Ken Berger @KBergCBS
League source confirms to @CBSSports that Carmelo Anthony has decided to re-sign with the Knicks. "Melo is staying," the person said.

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN
Carmelo is officially a Knick...again

Frank Isola @FisolaNYDN
Carmelo told me he'd announce it Thursday. Maybe he just wanted to upstage today's third place game at the World Cup

I'll believe when I see it, but this is as close as official as we're going to get until it actually happens.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:34:30 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

Re: Carmelo Anthony to sign with the New York Knicks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Stupid move basketball wise for Melo, but so was Bosh's decision to stay in Miami. I think these guys both went for the money and the comfort of living in great places where their wives are happy.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

Online moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He probably always knew he would come back.  He just enjoyed the attention he received by meeting with other teams and taking his time.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Stupid move basketball wise for Melo, but so was Bosh's decision to stay in Miami. I think these guys both went for the money and the comfort of living in great places where their wives are happy.
It is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
It is amazing.
I know right who does stuff with their family in mind
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
It was either take a lot of money, or stack to another team.

Glad he and Bosh chose the former decision.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
It is amazing.
I know right who does stuff with their family in mind

Lol TP.

People have to realize that not everyone is obsessed with media-driven LEGACY and RINGS.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Yahoo Sources: Carmelo Anthony finalizing 5-year, $120M-plus deal with the New York Knicks. http://yhoo.it/VXxQIf

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
wonderful, wonderful decision by both the knicks and melo. for melo, his spouse stays content and he makes more money than he knows what to do with.

for the knicks, they have doomed themselves to being a marginal, uninteresting, and non-contending team for years to come.

i couldnt be happier about this.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
He probably realized his chances of winning a ring on any of those teams was still going to be low. Mind as well stay with the Knicks and get the extra money. Probably would have left if it wasn't for the max contract and all of it's stipulations.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Maybe we can trade for them as disgruntled stars within a couple years at the end of their prime like KG and Ray. 

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
another one that folks should have seen coming a mile away.

With Carmelo it was always between Lakers and NYC because of his lifestyle and his wife's penchant for celebrity.

So you are Phil Jackson and it is down to you or the now coach-less Lakers, how do you recruit Melo.

First you have more money to give him, you have the comfort of knowing he is a New York guy. He loves the New York scene with the broadway shows, the fashion shows, and all the glitz that comes to New York, You can tell him first hand about playing with Kobe and you have one of Kobe's best teammates (Fisher) confirming every negative thing you have to say about playing with Kobe. If that is not enough you ask him to believe his own eyes -- Shaq left, Howard left, Gasol just left -- you can always ask Malone how Kobe's wife treated him when he was a Laker. Ask him if he wants to play second fiddle to Kobe in LA when NY is all his. Does his wife really need the drama with Kobe's wife?

Walk out of the door, but before you do toss him a video of Kobe elbowing is teammate on the bench. lol!!

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Just think about how much money these guys would be giving up if they made their wives unhappy enough to ask for a divorce.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Moke Hamilton @MokeHamilton
Carmelo's 5-year contract with the #Knicks will pay him $123M, about $6M less than the maximum allowable, per @NYPost_Berman.

And of course:

http://www.thisismelo.com/

MY CITY, MY HEART.

A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality. This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.

During this journey I met with some quality organizations who have amazing talent and leadership. I thank them for their consideration, belief in my talent, and opportunity to imagine the possibilities.

I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart. I am looking forward to continuing my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
These guys did the right thing. Get the contracts they deserve. Less money to mediocre players, more to the real difference makers.

As an NBA fan, isn't it better to have all the top players on separate teams with the contracts proportionate to the value they add to teams?

Why move every 4 years to the best team that will take you? Why not stay in a city?