Author Topic: More Likely: Land star in 2015 or 2016?  (Read 4136 times)

Re: More Likely: Land star in 2015 or 2016?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I can't think of one major free agent that has ever come to Boston willingly for basketball.   We don't have nice weather, it will be via trade in 2015.  Though I heard Noel is a C fan.

We've never had a cap space to get a major free agent. We have been able to sign lower level free agents with the exceptions we've had available (Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry). Do until we have the cap to actually pursue and outright sign an FA, I'm not ready to say we can't do it.
Yeah, those guys wanted to come here when we had KG, Pierce, and Ray and were winning championships.  We have still never had a great free agent come to Boston while in his prime. 

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 01:37:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
And after two days of heavy transactions it's looking more and more like a full rebuild, what will we get for Rondo at the deadline?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I can't think of one major free agent that has ever come to Boston willingly for basketball.   We don't have nice weather, it will be via trade in 2015.  Though I heard Noel is a C fan.

We've never had a cap space to get a major free agent. We have been able to sign lower level free agents with the exceptions we've had available (Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry). Do until we have the cap to actually pursue and outright sign an FA, I'm not ready to say we can't do it.
Yeah, those guys wanted to come here when we had KG, Pierce, and Ray and were winning championships.  We have still never had a great free agent come to Boston while in his prime.

Again, when have we had the cap and been in realistic  competition for a big free agent in his prime?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Again, when have we had the cap and been in realistic  competition for a big free agent in his prime?
We usually have our cap pretty full because we don't expect allstars to want to sign with our team out of the blue.  Xavier McDaniel, Tom Gugliotta, and Dominique were some of our big signings.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I would love to put that to the test next year with Love, though- if he somehow remains in Minny all year!

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Could the Celtics have cleared salary like Cleveland just did for Melo, Bosh or Bron?   

Pretty sure that answers the question.   

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
And after two days of heavy transactions it's looking more and more like a full rebuild, what will we get for Rondo at the deadline?

Nothing because he's staying

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Could the Celtics have cleared salary like Cleveland just did for Melo, Bosh or Bron?   

Pretty sure that answers the question.   

Yes. They needed to trade Jeff Green in a salary dump. Trade Bass in a salary dump. Stretch Wallace's contract.

Too many hurdles in my opinion unless you went hard for a max talent and got an agreement before doing these moves.

And Cleveland really only did that move because LeBron's agent was giving heavy hints that he'd return.

They didn't clear cap space for Melo or Bosh and they were never in play.

Just ask Houston how everything turned out for them now? Sending a 1st rounder to get rid of Lin, apparently having to overpay Chandler Parsons to keep him... and right now, really nothing to show for all that trouble.

Sometimes the best move is to stay pat.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Nothing because he's staying
You think he'll stay past the trade deadline? If we cant land Love which is a huge long shot bet he's gone
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree with you 100 percent!

We've never had a summer where we could offer money, hand over fist to free agents.

For those jumping to conclusions saying top names never want to come to Boston, you MIGHT be right.

However, you also might be wrong.

I'd like to first at least see the Celts have a ton of cap space, offer top dollar to top free agents and then see what happens.

If then, no one still agrees to come here and then maybe I'll concede the fact that no one wants to come to Boston.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I don't think we have to settle for Love or nothing.

Sullinger, our 2015 pick, Cavs 2016 pick, plus filler (Bogans/Anthony) for Lance in a sign and trade.

Young, Nets 2016 pick, Clippers 2015 pick plus filler (Bass/Faverani) for Monroe in a sign and trade.

Sign Ed Davis to the MLE.

Monroe. Zeller
Davis. Olynyk
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

Next summer: offer Olynyk, 2018 Nets pick, Philly 2015 pick plus filler (Wallace) for Marc Gasol or best available center.

Gasol. Zeller
Monroe. Davis
Green. (Lance)
Lance. Smart
Rondo. Bradley

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
The spacing on that team would be horrendous
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
One big impediment to signing a top line free agent next year is if this season is another 25-30 win season. And, if Rondo is traded, I am trying really hard to figure out why anyone in the top tier would want to come here. The top free agents do not want to come to losing teams with no other stars.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Free agents come to organizations that can offer the nightlife, money, fame/glamor, weather or championships/contention.

If Rondo leaves, all we'll have is the cap space/money to offer.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different