Author Topic: More Likely: Land star in 2015 or 2016?  (Read 4130 times)

More Likely: Land star in 2015 or 2016?
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
As much as I wanted Kevin Love and fireworks this summer, I am starting to resign myself to the fact that it's probably not in the cards.

But, that's okay because maybe our time will come either next summer or the summer after.

After this season is up, we'll have 33 million in cap space coming off the books.

We can make another run at Love next year when he hits free agency and don't have to put up with Flip Saunders. Marc Gasol will also be available as well.

OR do the Celts launch fireworks in 2016 with an even better free agent class headlined by Kevin Durant?

Re: More Likely: Land star in 2015 or 2016?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Marc Gasol next offseason, Durant the year after. Not banner 18, not 19, not 20, not 21, not 22...

Its nice to dream that the Celts could pull in major free agents the next couple of years. We'll see. Durant strikes me as the kind of kid that would stay with the same team his entire career, but maybe after bowing out of the playoffs early so many years he realizes the east is where he can get to the finals the easiest. Although, he'd have to go through Lebron every year.

Its going to be an interesting couple of years for the Celtics. I don't know what our trade assests are going to end up getting us, so we might have to build through free agency, which we've really never done.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
We can't tank for 2 more years.  Gasol has to be our target next offseason, yes.

We can still trade multiple picks and young players for Stephenson and Monroe now, and still have assets to pursue Gasol next year.  Those 3 with Rondo and Green would be worth giving up all of our assets outside of Smart- have to keep him.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can't think of one major free agent that has ever come to Boston willingly for basketball.   We don't have nice weather, it will be via trade in 2015.  Though I heard Noel is a C fan.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What at least helps us slightly is that Rajon Rondo doesn't fall into the 10+ years of experience bracket for a max countract, and neither does Love (if he were to come via free-agency).

What to do with Jeff Green will be important. I really want to keep him. Say what you say about him, but at the very least in a playoff environment, he's the type of SF I'd like when going against the LeBron's, and Paul George's of the world.

I'm guessing Wallace will try to be moved with a pick to dump salary or we stretch him, whichever works and is the cheaper option.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:45:25 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I can't think of one major free agent that has ever come to Boston willingly for basketball.   We don't have nice weather, it will be via trade in 2015.  Though I heard Noel is a C fan.

Noel, Vonleh, and MCW are all from Massachusetts so maybe in a couple years one of them would want to come to Boston.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Can you give me a specific example other than David West of a free agent that refused to come to Boston?  We have never had the cap space to go after a major player.

It's about having cap space and being a winner.
Look at Darrelle Revis for the Pats. It works the same in all sports.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Can you give me a specific example other than David West of a free agent that refused to come to Boston?  We have never had the cap space to go after a major player.

Because Danny keeps overpaying for people like Green, Bass, and Bradley.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We've never had a cap space to get a major free agent. We have been able to sign lower level free agents with the exceptions we've had available (Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry). Do until we have the cap to actually pursue and outright sign an FA, I'm not ready to say we can't do it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If we can't land a star this summer like Love I hope Ainge is patient and continues to aquire assets. I hope Rondo can remain patient as well.  I hope we can re-sign Rondo next year at no more than 15 mil per year, even if we can't land a star then.  In 2 to 3 years he will be Pierce's age when we got KG and Ray.   One of these years with all these assets something with break through for us.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »

Offline Randy

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I remember watching a Vlog type youtube video of Kevin Durant, think it was during the lockout and he made it clear that at that time he wanted to stay with OKC his entire career. Things change but he strikes me as a very loyal person and it's not like OKC is in a bad position.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We've never had a cap space to get a major free agent. We have been able to sign lower level free agents with the exceptions we've had available (Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry). Do until we have the cap to actually pursue and outright sign an FA, I'm not ready to say we can't do it.

You keep telling yourself that and hoping it happens.   I hope it makes you feel better.

Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry

All old has beens for the most part or guys who let us down.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You keep telling yourself that and hoping it happens.   I hope it makes you feel better.

Sheed, Shaq, JO, Courtney Lee,  Jason Terry

All old has beens for the most part or guys who let us down.

All old has beens who were sought after at the time. Revisionist history is funny, if we hold on against the Lakers in 2010, you'd be singing a different tune.

But please tell me when is the last time that we had cap space to sign an FA, recruited a guy and he chose another team because they had better weather? Go ahead, I'll wait.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm guessing Wallace will try to be moved with a pick to dump salary or we stretch him, whichever works and is the cheaper option.
There is no way the C's give up a 1st rounder to just get rid of Wallace. The entire point of absorbing Wallace was to get a treasure trove of valuable unprotected 1st round (potential lottery) picks. If Ainge valued those picks THAAAAT much, why would he waste one or two of them to just dump Wallace. I think Wallace doesn't go anywhere this year. We're stuck with him until his contract becomes a $10 million expiring deal after the season. Then you might possibly see him moved if the right deal comes around. It doesn't benefit the C's to lose picks or stretch out his deal over several years. It's not like he's gonna put us over the top this season anyways.

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There is no way the C's give up a 1st rounder to just get rid of Wallace. The entire point of absorbing Wallace was to get a treasure trove of valuable unprotected 1st round (potential lottery) picks. If Ainge valued those picks THAAAAT much, why would he waste one or two of them to just dump Wallace. I think Wallace doesn't go anywhere this year. We're stuck with him until his contract becomes a $10 million expiring deal after the season. Then you might possibly see him moved if the right deal comes around. It doesn't benefit the C's to lose picks or stretch out his deal over several years. It's not like he's gonna put us over the top this season anyways.

Sorry, but if Wallace + a 1st rounder is the only thing that's standing in your way of signing a max-star level contract in free-agency, you do it.

Also, we're talking about next year... not this year.