Author Topic: No offense?  (Read 8613 times)

Re: No offense?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We don't NEED any of these talented scorers listed above to score 20 points any given night.

The obvious point is that we have plenty of scoring talent on this team, and every reason to believe that most of them will be better this year than last year.
No. But you need them to be able to, on any given night if they have to.

The more subtle point is that there is no go-to scoring in any form or shape on the roster, and as much as basketball is a team game, teams like this typically don't go far.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Why the fixation with 20ppg? How many of our players hit 20ppg in our lat ECF run? Can't remember anyone actually getting there.   
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
We don't NEED any of these talented scorers listed above to score 20 points any given night.

The obvious point is that we have plenty of scoring talent on this team, and every reason to believe that most of them will be better this year than last year.
No. But you need them to be able to, on any given night if they have to.

The more subtle point is that there is no go-to scoring in any form or shape on the roster, and as much as basketball is a team game, teams like this typically don't go far.

For a rebuilding team we're in great shape, and sometimes the absence of a number one scoring option can work in a team's favor, especially a young team like this. Bradley grew a lot as a scorer last year, and that wouldn't have been possible with a rigid scoring hierarchy that emphasized one or two scorers.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
We have lots of scorers.

Bradley can go off for 20 10 any given night

Green can go off for 30 10 any given night

Rondo can get 20 10 any given night

KO can get 20 10 any given night

Sully can get 20 10 any given night

Thornton can get 20 10 any given night

Zeller can get 20 10 just about any given night

Smart won't be the focal point of defenses like he was in college and summer league, and he'll be able to go for 20 10 many nights
annnnnnnddddd...therein lays the problem. while anyone of these guys could rack up 20 points, most nights most of them wont. like all human beings, they will not acheive their peak performance on an everyday basis.

adding to this, most of these guys peaks in not all that much better, and in many cases is worse, than the peaks of other teams' players.

this will not be a high scoring team next year. to consistently view the most optimistic scenario as if it were the most probable scenario is a form of self-deception.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Our team as presently constructed is mediocre at best. It won't make the East play-offs, and won't tank to the level of Milwaukee and Philly did, two teams with the best cadre of young talent in the entire league.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 02:26:02 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
to consistently view the most optimistic scenario as if it were the most probable scenario is a form of self-deception.

The title of this thread is "No offense?"

I didn't say we'd be a high scoring team. I'm just saying we could have an average offense.

Sorry to rain on your misery parade.

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Our team as presently constructed is mediocre at best. It won't make the East play-offs, and won't tank to the level of Milwaukee and Philly did, two teams with the best cadre of young talent in the entire league.

You only need to be mediocre to make the playoffs in the east. Heck, mediocre will get you a top 5 seed. We can make the playoffs without even being mediocre, and we just might be mediocre, which is much better than bottom of the barrel in the east.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah we don't have viable offensive weapons and our interior defense is a joke... Which is why we are probably tanking again next year.

I can see oly evolve into a 13-17 point scorer with starter minutes, though.  But we are hurting for an elite scorer.

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think we'll see improvements from some players but overall I think we will have a mediocre offense again this year. We really don't have a great scorer on this team (No. Jeff Green is not and will never be that guy!). It's year 2 of the rebuild. Time to buckle up!

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
We had trouble scoring late in games with Ray Allen, PP and KG.   We are really going to have it now.

This is an accurate statement. Let's point out the one thing that both teams had in common... A shot clock killing ball pounding PG named Rondo. He does some amazing things out there, but overall I think he hurts our offense. Either he's refusing to work the ball around quickly for a great shot, or he's trying to go one on one with guys and pulling up mediocre jumpers. He no longer will go inside like he used to. Most of that is likely due to the fact he doesn't want to get fouled because he is a poor free throw shooter. He stalls our offense with 3 hall of famers, and he stalls our offense with these other guys.

If we want to actually run the ball and use our youth it is time to trade him away to a half court team like Indiana that he will fit better with. I'm tired of watching him waste the shot clock away.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Hard to disagree, ejplaya. Rondo could make this offense average, or he could do what's best for Rondo and maximize his assists.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We have a bunch of guys that can average 15 ppg right now IMO, so yes scoring will be hard, we have not added any shooters.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
thats why we drafted James Young. itll take time but i believe in him.

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
thats why we drafted James Young. itll take time but i believe in him.

I'm hopeful he is that guy too.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Me three. An athletic 6'7" shooting guard with a sweet stroke and calm alpha demeanor.

And I didn't even mention him in my "self-deceptive" overview of our competent scorers.

But we also added Thornton, so it's pretty self-deceptive to say we didn't add any scorers.