Author Topic: No offense?  (Read 8612 times)

No offense?
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
We have a backcourt chalk full of defensive talent and a front court full of young and unproven talent. I see us playing elite defense and being able to hang with top offensive teams due to the skills at certain positions. But who can score? It will take time for Smart to find his shot and make a real impact offensively although I do think eventually he becomes an NBA AllStar and and instant all NBA defense selection. AB and Rondo both aren't high volume scorers by any means. Now KO and Sully both have the potential of being great options(more KO than Sully) but they're so young and I don't see either as a game changer. Jeff Green seems to be our best option but he's wildly inconsistent and the idea of him being a 22+ ppg guy is becoming more and more distant. The addition of Thornton may create a spark offensively but with the log jam at the guard position will he even be given the minutes in order to impact the scoreboard? I ddon't think so. I'm nervous guys. So unless we make that "fireworks" move, its gonna be a long year
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

Re: No offense?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We have very few players who shoot well. That will be a problem.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
We have lots of scorers.

Bradley can go off for 20 any given night

Green can go off for 30 any given night

Rondo can get 20 any given night

KO can get 20 any given night

Sully can get 20 any given night

Thornton can get 20 any given night

Zeller can get 20 just about any given night

Smart won't be the focal point of defenses like he was in college and summer league, and he'll be able to go for 20 many nights

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »

Offline jc3celticsphan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 20
Smart olynyk and thornton is looking like a solid bench rotation..I like how deep this team is

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
Smart olynyk and thornton is looking like a solid bench rotation..I like how deep this team is

Yeah, Smart and Olynyk pick and roll should be the staple of that second unit, with Thornton spotting up.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Exactly one year ago a good amount of us thought Jeff Green was going to partially fill PP shoes. I remember his first game of the season he scored 25pts, and he even said that he should get that about every night.

Now most have  lost faith in Jeff. He is frustrating, no doubt about that. But is it too far of a possibility that he averages 20 plus a game this season and pulls down 6 rebs.?

Watching the Celtics this season I will have special players Im rooting for...Jeff Green will be one of them.

ALSO he did rank 6th in scoring amongst SF...but he needs to get more rebounds steals and assists.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/stats/2014/Averages/Qualified/points/SF/desc/1/Regular_Season

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
We have lots of scorers.

Bradley can go off for 20 any given night

Green can go off for 30 any given night

Rondo can get 20 any given night

KO can get 20 any given night

Sully can get 20 any given night

Thornton can get 20 any given night

Zeller can get 20 just about any given night

Smart won't be the focal point of defenses like he was in college and summer league, and he'll be able to go for 20 many nights

It's possible any of our players score 20 on "any given night". How likely will it happen? Not very. Maybe 1 out of 4 games which is less than a flip of the coin.

I don't really feel that this falls in line with "scorer" mentality/reputation.

Our offense last year was pretty weak.  4th worst team in ORtg. 5th worst team in 2PT FG%. 3rd worst team in 3PT fg%.

4th worst team to take Free Throws, 10th best team at FGA, but 2nd worst FG% shooting team.

10th best FT% team, however, if we struggle to get to the line (4th worst), it really is a shame.

7th MOST ORB team, but also 7th LEAST DRB team so they kinda cancel each other out. ( Brought this up because the defensive rebounding BEGINS offensive possession, the offensive rebound CONTINUES the offense & delays the start of the other team's offense.)

4th worst team at TOV.

So, while we may have individual players who could score 20 on any given night, how does that translate in terms of the team production?

Will Coach Stevens need to adjust the OFF gameplan?

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Exactly one year ago a good amount of us thought Jeff Green was going to partially fill PP shoes. I remember his first game of the season he scored 25pts, and he even said that he should get that about every night.

Now most have  lost faith in Jeff. He is frustrating, no doubt about that. But is it too far of a possibility that he averages 20 plus a game this season and pulls down 6 rebs.?

Watching the Celtics this season I will have special players Im rooting for...Jeff Green will be one of them.

ALSO he did rank 6th in scoring amongst SF...but he needs to get more rebounds steals and assists.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/stats/2014/Averages/Qualified/points/SF/desc/1/Regular_Season

Don't do that to yourself, we all know Green is what he is and that won't change. He's been the same player his entire career, and when he was on a horrible team and supposed to be our #1 option he couldn't crack 20 ppg.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31:51 PM »

• Jayson Tatum
  • zap
We don't NEED any of these talented scorers listed above to score 20 points any given night.

The obvious point is that we have plenty of scoring talent on this team, and every reason to believe that most of them will be better this year than last year.

Rondo is finally healthy with a full offseason, and he is in a contract year, AND drafting Smart will give him even more motivation.

Bradley is another year older and had a great scoring year to build off of.

KO is more comfortable in the league and more confident in himself, and is a year older and stronger.

Sully isn't coming off back surgery and being immobilized all summer.

Thornton is in a contract year and is still in his prime.

Green is one more year removed from the trauma of life saving surgery, and he is in a contract year in a way. If he has a good year he can opt out of his contract and get big money like Hayward and Parsons.

Zeller will be playing with a pass first point guard for the first time in his young career, and his offseason weight gains won't be negated by appendectomy surgery, and he's a year older.

I think our offense is just fine, and obviously winning was not a high priority for Stevens last year, which is why he had Sully and Hump etc chucking away from 3 and bringing down our team FG% and team offensive stats.

We are in great shape guys, and we're going to put a bunch of guys in double figures every night.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
None taken.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The good news is that we have the best passer in the league and if we need to score by committee hopefully he can help that happen.

Players that can create offense has been a big issue for us but I think we took two players who could really help in the draft, so there's that.

Jeff is never going to be a big time scorer but he's a good player.  He just won't be that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We had trouble scoring late in games with Ray Allen, PP and KG.   We are really going to have it now.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »

• Ray Allen

Don't do that to yourself, we all know Green is what he is and that won't change. He's been the same player his entire career, and when he was on a horrible team and supposed to be our #1 option he couldn't crack 20 ppg.
Hahahaha thanks for looking out for me buddy. It did take a lot out of me the first time, you too?. How do we explain Jeff Green averaging 20 ppg after all star break/as a starter( i can't exactly remember ), with Pierce on the team. ughhhhhh He has all the tools. Literally all he needs to do is drive the ball and get fouled or make it.....

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

• Ray Allen
We don't NEED any of these talented scorers listed above to score 20 points any given night.

The obvious point is that we have plenty of scoring talent on this team, and every reason to believe that most of them will be better this year than last year.

Rondo is finally healthy with a full offseason, and he is in a contract year, AND drafting Smart will give him even more motivation.

Bradley is another year older and had a great scoring year to build off of.

KO is more comfortable in the league and more confident in himself, and is a year older and stronger.

Sully isn't coming off back surgery and being immobilized all summer.

Thornton is in a contract year and is still in his prime.

Green is one more year removed from the trauma of life saving surgery, and he is in a contract year in a way. If he has a good year he can opt out of his contract and get big money like Hayward and Parsons.

Zeller will be playing with a pass first point guard for the first time in his young career, and his offseason weight gains won't be negated by appendectomy surgery, and he's a year older.

I think our offense is just fine, and obviously winning was not a high priority for Stevens last year, which is why he had Sully and Hump etc chucking away from 3 and bringing down our team FG% and team offensive stats.

We are in great shape guys, and we're going to put a bunch of guys in double figures every night.

Northern Lightning...that was beautiful . I very much want to have faith in what you said. Either way you should be in the spin business, PR or politics, cuz you just turned a whole bunch of negative in to a positive.

tp

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
80% of the players in the league can score 20 on any given night.  I don't think out offense will be better than average.