Author Topic: can Tyler Zeller be a starting center?  (Read 7535 times)

Re: can Tyler Zeller be a starting center?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The kid has average to slightly below average rebounding ability for his size. He doesn't have a low post game nor is he a stretch 5. He also tries a lot on defense but accomplished very little. He will make a decent back up center for someone in a contending position in a couple years but if he is your starting center, unless you have Lebron, Bosh and Wade as three of the other four players, then your team is probably going to be rather bad.

As of right now, I think Sullinger is still a better option at center as a complete player than Zeller is. And I don't think Sully should be playing center.

It was a great deal by Danny Ainge but he didn't just pick up Robert Parish here ala Red Auerbach, he picked up a decent back up is all

Doesn't have a low post game??  Did you see him play at UNC???  I am a diehard NC State fan and therefore I distinctly and clearly remember his solid moves on the post at Carolina, much to my chagrin!!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tyler-Zeller-5154/

To further back up my memory as correct, he rated an 8 out of 10 on post moves!!!

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-zeller

Smitty77
Being able to use a post game in college and being able to use it in the pros are two completely different things. Thus far in the pros he has shown very little in the way of post offense and has become pretty much a mid range shooter offensively, hence my comment.

He's just not strong enough to get good initial position down low to be able to use whatever hook shot or other post moves he does have. When he has gotten position usually he hasn't been able to convert with his moves.

Now I saw him a whole lot more his rookie year than last year so maybe he had some growth but around the league he is still known primarily as a running center that will convert on the break with an okay mid range game and no three point range and not a lot of post game.

BTW, and this isn't to you Mike, but I don't see how anything I have said is negative about Zeller. Do I hope he develops into a starting center and adds muscle and becomes a great player? Sure. But looking at what he has done thus far in the league, its pretty much fairly common knowledge that Zeller is a back up center with not a ton of upside to become much more than that. Don't see that as a negative especially when we gave up nothing to get him.

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
He's our starting center by default. If you are asking if he can be the starting center on a contender then that's a different question.

well that's what i'm asking.

Ok, then the answer is no. He can be a decent backup center on a contender.
Hum, I'd say a qualified no rather than a flat out no.

Tyler Zeller *could* grow into the role of a starting center on a contender. He isn't that now, he might never get there, but I think he has the potential...still...to make it.

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's our starting center by default. If you are asking if he can be the starting center on a contender then that's a different question.

the question why no?

Is he 10-15 pounds away?  Is it due to his below avg standing reach?   

what's lacking

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

the question why no?

what's lacking
Zeller needs to get...
1. Stronger without losing speed or quickness
2. More consistent play, especially on defense
3. A solid go to move on offense
4. More time on the court

...in short, just what any young NBA player needs. And yes, he's still young. Regardless of what some people think, a big man isn't necessarily done developing at 24. If he doesn't get hurt, and really works, he might not hit his prime until he's in his late 20's, say 28 or 29. So Tyler has time to get a good bit better than he is currently.  OTOH, he could bump his head on his ceiling at any time and we won't know until after it happens.

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

the question why no?

what's lacking

Talent and athletic ability. He's got the talent to be a decent backup long term on a contender if he works hard and develops, but not a starter.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah he can... on our 28 win team.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

the question why no?

what's lacking
Zeller needs to get...
1. Stronger without losing speed or quickness
2. More consistent play, especially on defense
3. A solid go to move on offense
4. More time on the court

...in short, just what any young NBA player needs. And yes, he's still young. Regardless of what some people think, a big man isn't necessarily done developing at 24. If he doesn't get hurt, and really works, he might not hit his prime until he's in his late 20's, say 28 or 29. So Tyler has time to get a good bit better than he is currently.  OTOH, he could bump his head on his ceiling at any time and we won't know until after it happens.

Zeller needs to get...
1. Stronger without losing speed or quickness  - Agreed. 10-15 more pounds of muscle
2. More consistent play, especially on defense - Agreed. But imo it has to do with 1)
3. A solid go to move on offense - Disagree - he has a auto 15-17 ft jump shot.  Now if you mean dump him the ball in the post and have him score crucial baskets, then yeah , I agree. I'm not sure that is part of his arsenal though (not even from college).
4. More time on the court - I agree. Last year i'm not sure what happened. Maybe brown didn't like the way Zeller played.  Maybe he got annoyed seeing him getting pushed around on the inside

Once he puts on 10-15 pounds (i'm hoping at least 5 more pounds of muscle for the starting of this upcoming season) it could remedy alot of issues.   

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

the question why no?

what's lacking

Talent and athletic ability. He's got the talent to be a decent backup long term on a contender if he works hard and develops, but not a starter.

Does Asik have much talent or athletic ability? yet he is considered staring material

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

the question why no?

what's lacking

Does Asik have much talent or athletic ability? yet he is considered staring material

Asik is a top tier defender and rim protector, something that Zeller will never be, no matter how much weight he puts on.

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Trying to recall the last legitimate NBA starting center who was given away for free?

Can't.

There's a reason why Zeller was dumped by the Cavs. Let's be a little cautious with all the conflation.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Trying to recall the last legitimate NBA starting center who was given away for free?

Can't.

There's a reason why Zeller was dumped by the Cavs. Let's be a little cautious with all the conflation.

to put things in perspective, Triboy also thinks Sullinger will develop a physique like Anthony Mason's.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Can't.

to put things in perspective, Triboy also thinks Sullinger will develop a physique like Anthony Mason's.

and??

Sullinger if he puts in the hard work could develop a similar physique. 

It's not like Mason came into the league as the pic you put up
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:12:46 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap

Can't.

Hey Sherlock, ever heard of a certain kid from Akron Ohio?

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Can't.

Chandler for Dampier/Carroll/Najera comes to mind.

Not a Zeller believer, just an interesting question.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Are you guys serious? They would have given away just about anybody to open up room for LeBron James. They also gave us a future first round pick. I guess that pick isn't worth anything either, since they just gave it away to us.

geeze. LeBron James, people. They gave us Zeller because they NEEDED room for LEBRON FREAKING JAMES.